Last dance at the Dome

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This right here is a shallow attack IMO at LA fans who won't recognize in your opinion Hall of Fame players who brought the franchise their only Lombardi. Players like Warner, Faulk, Pace, Bruce and Holt will get the cold shoulder by LA fans? You LR and I clearly disagree on this so I'll just drop it but this attitude has gone on for decades and I guess I'm the only one tired of it and refrain from insulting other Rams fans.
It seems like we are talking past each other....In LA, among new LA fans, yes I think there will be cheers for GSOT players in recognition for what they were. I just don't think they will have the depth of appreciation as those who struggled with being long distance fans of the team..Fans that finally saw a Super Bowl win for the frst time in their lives, after a move from Anaheim to St Louis, 4 or 5 years later, the team finally won it all. The non fans of the Rams didn't scream like an insane man like I did when Mike Jones tackled Dyson on the half yard line in Super Bowl 34 in 2000. They may have seen the game back then, but probably were not as invested in the team as you and I were...as other long suffering fans, were. As St Louis fans were....It also helps if the Rams Organization makes place for them (GSOT) when marking Rams history in LA events. I may be wrong, but the team in ST Louis acted as though the LA Ram greats didn't exist when Georgia was alive, and that was just one of many reasons why I hated her.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
“I am amazed at the crowd,” Vermeil told Shutdown Corner. “I am amazed at how many people there are. I didn’t anticipate this kind of reception. I came to a game here a couple years ago and there weren’t too many more people here than there are today.”
Sometimes people should just stop talking. Loves me some Vermeil but.... smh.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A Rams fan is a Rams fan is a Rams fan.
It's in the blood.

Without getting into a lot of detail.

Players from all eras should be welcomed with open arms. Because they are Rams.

Unfortunately when GF and now Kronke left their respective cities they shit all over them. When they should have been more professional upon their exit as to not to piss off the fans and players from the cities they were leaving.

You know you can make business decisions and be honorable at the same time.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Apparently the Rams helped with the event when Bruce asked, so at least they didn't just give them the finger. They let St Louis fans have one last hurrah, which is more than any other city that lost their team got.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think you're wrong simply by virtue of how big of an affect the GSOT years had on the league and that the Rams winning a Superbowl in the Lou. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single LA fan who is ambivalent about players like Bruce, Warner, Faulk, Holt, Pace, and a couple others.

OK.

Look at pics of any Rams rally in LA.

See any STL jerseys? No, ummmmmmm mostly you don't.

Warner? Faulk? Az? Holt? Bruce? (and he played in LA), Proehl?

Not there.........

bluecoconuts

Legend
OK.

Look at pics of any Rams rally in LA.

See any STL jerseys? No, ummmmmmm mostly you don't.

Warner? Faulk? Az? Holt? Bruce? (and he played in LA), Proehl?

Not there.........

maxresdefault.jpg

Pulled this off google, second image, first one with a group.

I see: 11 (new, probably Austin), 13 (throwback, probably Warner) 39 (new, probably Jackson), 85 three times (throwback, probably Youngblood), 29 twice (throwback, probably ED) and 30 (throwback, probably Gurley)...

Looking through other pictures, I see Bruce, Faulk, Johnson, Quinn... You see them mostly in throwbacks though.. You see a lot of older LA Rams players as well, but you see new ones too.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Some great shots -- of some awesome players -- that shot of Martz / Vermeil is great.

:grouphug:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I wish there was a way the Rams could call both cities home.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_d0de788e-6aab-5d99-a214-7791adc7139e.html

Although it has been six months since the National Football League voted to move the Rams out of his beloved St. Louis, the legendary Kurt Warner still finds it difficult to consider them the Los Angeles Rams.

As a broadcaster these days, he’ll eventually have to adjust. But he views the Rams like most folks in this area.

“I don’t know if it’s going to settle in until you actually see them,” he said. “When I think of the Rams I still think of them as St. Louis, not as the Los Angeles Rams. Me calling games now, it’s going to be weird.”

More than most, Warner appreciates just how much the people of St. Louis love their Rams. He lived it, felt it, embraced it.

Now the kid from Burlington, Iowa, wants to say thank you for the love and memories. He’s eager to play in Isaac Bruce’s Legends of the Dome game Saturday afternoon at the Dome at America’s Center.

“We always look for an excuse to get back to St. Louis because we feel like that community is so special to us,” Warner said. “I think the biggest thing is I’m hoping that a lot of people come out. It’s a great opportunity for us as players to say thanks for the memories.”

Bruce, who threw a perfect strike during the ceremonial first pitch at the Cardinals’ game Thursday, invited Warner and several former St. Louis Rams greats for the Legends of the Dome flag football game.

Stan Kroenke, arguably the most despised sports figure in St. Louis history, moved the Rams without having the decency to truly say goodbye to their loyal fans here.

The Legends of the Dome game will provide a great opportunity for fans to find closure.

St. Louis has already lost the football Cardinals and the Rams, and one must wonder if the NFL will ever find its way back to the Gateway to the West.

Whether the NFL returns or not, we must find a way to honor Warner beyond the Legends of the Dome game. There needs to be a statue of Warner to go along with the statues of other sports legends downtown.

We must honor Warner in the same way Blues legends Brett Hull, Al MacInnis and Bernie Federko are honored with statues in front of Scottrade Center. Most baseball fans here can tell you about the statues of Stan Musial, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock and other Cardinals legends outside Busch Stadium.

We must not let Kroenke’s greed deny us of an opportunity to leave a monument for local fans to remember one of the St. Louis Rams’ all-time greats.

To be clear, this is not my idea. Esteemed Post-Dispatch NFL writer Jim Thomas, who covered every St. Louis Rams game, mentioned this idea earlier this week when he gave me a lesson on the team’s history.

When I told Warner about Thomas’ idea, Warner appeared humbled by the suggestion.

“It’s more about people in that community and how they rallied around me and my family both off and on the field for many years,” Warner said. “I don’t even know how you think of or consider (statues and) that stuff. It’s about the people and the organization.

“It’s a tremendous honor any time you’re a part of something like that. When you leave you want to believe you left it better than when you got there and left a lasting impact that doesn’t leave when you step off the field.”

Warner definitely left his mark in St. Louis. His rags to riches story inspired legions of fans throughout the Midwest. Who doesn’t love a story of a guy reaching the NFL after spending three years with the Iowa Barnstormers?

Most Americans and perhaps even most folks in St. Louis had no idea that the Iowa Barnstormers even existed until Warner joined the Rams 18 years ago. I surely had no clue there was such a thing as an indoor football league back then. Did you?

Moreover, Warner’s University of Northern Iowa isn’t exactly known for pumping out NFL quarterbacks.

By now, Warner’s story is the stuff of legend. From stocking the shelves on the night crew at a Hy-Vee in Iowa to the Super Bowl with the Rams. You wouldn’t believe that story if you saw it in the movies.

Despite not being drafted by the NFL, Warner refused to abandon his dream. He honed his skills with the Barnstormers and then cherished every moment with the Rams.

Warner was the architect of the Greatest Show on Turf. He reached the NFL in 1998 and appeared in one game that season. Then he took over the starting spot in 1999 and led the Rams to the Super Bowl title that season.

He led the Rams to the Super Bowl two years later, falling to the New England Patriots 20-17. He threw for 32,344 yards in a 12-year career that included stints with the Giants and Arizona Cardinals. He still has a son living in St. Louis.

He also has his foundation here, so he and his wife Brenda return at least three times a year. He’s excited to see his old Rams teammates and their loyal fans this weekend.

“First of all it’s great to just go back and play a game back in St. Louis and say, ‘Thank you’ to the fans for the great support they gave us when I played there. It’s going to be special. And it’s always awesome to find an excuse to get together with the guys and reminisce.”

Warner doesn’t need any excuses to return to St. Louis, but it would nice to ask him back one day to unveil a much deserved statue here.
Great story. As a Christian, Kurt may feel a little uncomfortable with the idea of a statue, but some type of St. Louis gesture honoring the team would be great.

I don't know where the notion comes from that Kroenke is going to ignore them? Is there some comment I missed or an action he took. I think he will reach out to include those guys in LA.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Meh, I'm glad for those that got to experience this. But anything attached to the NFL isn't getting my money anymore.

Bring STL an expansion team and we'll talk. Bring in a Bundesliga type 50+1 ownership structure and i'll love the NFL again forever. (Won't ever happen, though.)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
maxresdefault.jpg

Pulled this off google, second image, first one with a group.

I see: 11 (new, probably Austin), 13 (throwback, probably Warner) 39 (new, probably Jackson), 85 three times (throwback, probably Youngblood), 29 twice (throwback, probably ED) and 30 (throwback, probably Gurley)...

Looking through other pictures, I see Bruce, Faulk, Johnson, Quinn... You see them mostly in throwbacks though.. You see a lot of older LA Rams players as well, but you see new ones too.

Yeah OK there will be some, but lots of fans won't identify with the guys from STL. Just like a lot of fans in STL didn't identify with old LA players.

We are humans, so range of emotions and thoughts and all that. I'd be willing to bet that there are even some Rams fans or former Rams fans that are a bit bothered that they won a SB and had the GSOT in STL not LA. Some people are like that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So Rams fans from both cities have been asses to each other in the past and with us having one of the smallest fan bases lets just go on and make snarky comments about each other. That's a great way to be as a fan base!

That was pretty fucking snarky of you right there..........lol

This right here is a shallow attack IMO at LA fans who won't recognize in your opinion Hall of Fame players who brought the franchise their only Lombardi. Players like Warner, Faulk, Pace, Bruce and Holt will get the cold shoulder by LA fans? You LR and I clearly disagree on this so I'll just drop it but this attitude has gone on for decades and I guess I'm the only one tired of it and refrain from insulting other Rams fans.

Don't tell me that I just attacked Rams fans. Stop looking for a fight and read what I am writing, you're totally misunderstanding and getting offended about next to nothing.

Sorry but plenty of fans in LA aren't going to give a shit about STL players whether you like it or not that's how it's gonna be. Think about what percentage of the population was too young to care about football when they left, then add in the percentage of people from other nations that will cheer for a local team but never paid any attention to the Rams in STL.

There ya go.

@CGI_Ram if you feel this response is over the top delete it but I had to say what's on my mind.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah OK there will be some, but lots of fans won't identify with the guys from STL. Just like a lot of fans in STL didn't identify with old LA players.

We are humans, so range of emotions and thoughts and all that. I'd be willing to bet that there are even some Rams fans or former Rams fans that are a bit bothered that they won a SB and had the GSOT in STL not LA. Some people are like that.

I think it depends, obviously new fans that grow up wont really know much about the St Louis team, they wont have as much love for Jackson or debate about Bulger, or even Holt, Faulk, Warner, Pace, or Bruce, but I think the fans that are a fan now have a lot of love for those guys.. Those who remained fans when they were in St Louis will have a lot of appreciation for those guys.. Afterwards you'll have new fans that grow up and they wont have a connection, but that doesn't mean that what they did wont matter.

I'm a fan that lives in LA, I don't have a connection to Youngblood or Deacon Jones or any of those old LA Rams, I never knew the Rams when they played in LA, this is my first year as an "LA Rams" fan... Obviously older guys that have been here and cheered for them have a stronger connection to those guys.. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate them though, I don't see why fans are going to suddenly not care about the best team in Rams history.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
if you feel this response is over the top delete it but I had to say what's on my mind.

Let's just keep things focused on the team, as hard as some topics are.

But I think members appreciate your perspective.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So I'm pretty sure @bluecoconuts just proved you wrong and still you continue with an argument that really has no possible backing as I'm going to guess you haven't been to LA in many moons nor spoke with the fans. I know lots of Rams fans out here on the Left Coast and most if not all of them practically gush over the likes of Warner, Faulk, Bruce, etc... Way more so than even Youngblood, Deacon, et al. What you are saying doesn't even bother me that much except that I know it's simply not true. And frankly, I'm not sure what it has to do with ANYTHING.
But I think members appreciate your perspective.
Meh. :D