Larry Fitzgerald: Cardinals focused on winning the NFC West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Nothing wrong with being positive but that weak O-line plus some missing players on their D might get in the way of fulfilling that fantasy. Looking forward to how Carson Palmer does against the Rams D.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Larry Fitzgerald: Cardinals focused on winning the NFC West
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 4, 2014

larry-fitzgerald.jpg
Getty Images

Many NFL fans think the two best teams in the league are in the NFC West, in Seattle and San Francisco. But Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald thinks the best team in the NFC West is in Arizona.

Fitzgerald told Ed Werder on ESPN that the Cardinals fully expect to finish 2014 atop the NFC West.

“We always talk about winning the NFC West,” Fitzgerald said. “That’s our goal first and foremost, getting to the playoffs. We did a good job after the bye week, finishing 6-2. Obviously it wasn’t good enough to get us into the tournament but we finished strong and were able to execute more efficiently down the stretch.”

Fitzgerald said he’s not taking any shots at the Seahawks or 49ers (or the Rams), but he’s not backing down from those teams, either.

“We understand and respect those teams,” Fitzgerald said of the Seahawks and 49ers. “They’re very talented and they’ve been to the playoffs for the last couple years. But we’re very confident in our abilities. We match up very well with those teams and St. Louis as well. We’re confident in our ability to play at a high level against the best teams in the league.”

Winning the NFC West will be a tall order. But Fitzgerald sounds confident that the Cardinals can do it.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
In other news; The Rams, Seahawks, and Niners are also focused on winning the NFCW. Who woulda thought!!!

Lame

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Cards focused on winning NFC West.

Shouldn't they be?

If they are focused on 'not winning' the NFC West then there would be something to talk about. If they are focused on winning the NFC North, or the AFC South then that might be a problem.

jap

Legend
The Cards sorely need a QB with the ability to run for his freaking life. Even that didn't work last year when The Mighty One raced down and dumped their QB before he could reach the security of the sidelines. The Mighty Quinn?, Chris Long?, The Incredible Brock?, Aaron Donald?---the Cards aren't getting anywhere near the top of the Wild, Wild NFC West standings! Janoris says he's coming to shut you down again, Larry! :sneaky:

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I wouldn't be surprised to see either San Fran or Seattle take a step back this year. There just aren't any walkovers in the West.
Hell we might all split the series in the West. Who knows?

SierraRam

Recreational User
"We match up very well with those teams and St. Louis as well"

JJ and Tru take notice! The line will do their job; you guys need to cover for about 4 seconds.

I hope they're looking forward to their camp battles with Britt. I know I am..

"We match up very well with those teams and St. Louis as well"

JJ and Tru take notice! The line will do their job; you guys need to cover for about 4 seconds.

I hope they're looking forward to their camp battles with Britt. I know I am..

They're going to have to do a much better job than the last time we played them, 84% completion is pathetic. It's amazing they only scored 14 points on drives starting in our half.

Cardncub

Rookie
I think you guys are underestimating our much improved OL. With Veldheer/Cooper on the left & Massie/Watford on the right you'll see a huge difference in what our line can do. Besides that I believe we have the best receiving corps in the game this year. Add in Ellington & our O becomes one of the top ten in the league coupled with our top 5 Defense. But we will see once the games begin. Cheers & here's to a healthy season for both teams. :cheers:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/cardinals-2014-offense-ol-209827.html

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think you guys are underestimating our much improved OL. With Veldheer/Cooper on the left & Massie/Watford on the right you'll see a huge difference in what our line can do. Besides that I believe we have the best receiving corps in the game this year. Add in Ellington & our O becomes one of the top ten in the league coupled with our top 5 Defense. But we will see once the games begin. Cheers & here's to a healthy season for both teams. :cheers:

Psssh.

long-quinn-750x256.jpg

Cardncub

Rookie
Psssh

Attachments

• Honeybadger2.jpg
    Honeybadger2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 105
  • HoneyBadger.jpg
    HoneyBadger.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 113

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Your offense has gotten better, but Carson Palmer is still an enigma. It'd be a mistake to expect him to play well, he throws picks consistently. He could be a piece keeping your team from the playoffs.

Your defense has also gotten worse IMO. Honey Badger messed up his knee and won't be as good as he was last year because of it, and his slot ability is more important than an outside corner in our offense. You've also lost two amazing linebackers on the inside, which could and probably will make your D more susceptible to both the run and the pass. And we plan to run it down your throats with our new monster offensive line. Your run defense was great last year, but it looks to slip a little with that awful LB corps. Plus Cook will likely light you guys up again if you guys dont learn to cover tight ends.

It'll be a good game, but we definitely aren't afraid of you guys. Good luck.

Why did Oakland let Veldheer go? I get that they're idiots as proved by the Saffold incident, but was their more to it than that?

Cardncub

Rookie
Your offense has gotten better, but Carson Palmer is still an enigma. It'd be a mistake to expect him to play well, he throws picks consistently. He could be a piece keeping your team from the playoffs.

Your defense has also gotten worse IMO. Honey Badger messed up his knee and won't be as good as he was last year because of it, and his slot ability is more important than an outside corner in our offense. You've also lost two amazing linebackers on the inside, which could and probably will make your D more susceptible to both the run and the pass. And we plan to run it down your throats with our new monster offensive line. Your run defense was great last year, but it looks to slip a little with that awful LB corps. Plus Cook will likely light you guys up again if you guys dont learn to cover tight ends.

From the Sando post.

"Palmer is an interesting study because his production went from being pretty brutal through eight games last season (10 TDs, 14 INTs, 35.1 QBR score) to ranking among the NFL's best from that point forward (14 TDs, 8 INTs, 68.9 QBR)."

It took him a while to learn Arians offense.

Cardncub

Rookie

I agree we lost 2 great ILB but we still have Minter who is thumper against the run. Also drafted Bucannon to cover TE's. Good luck to you as well TheDYVKX. :cheers:

Oakland decided not to re-sign him. Cardinals picked him up on the cheap. $7mil a year I believe.

I'm assuming there's a reason though, they had a hell of a lot of a cap room, it never made sense to me why you would give up on even an average player in their position.