Langford: Rams 'have to grow up and play more consistently'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a0eb8bbd-0912-5a17-825e-311386dbab04.html

At 6 feet 6 and 313 pounds, Kendall Langford is not an easy man to overlook. But playing alongside first-round draft picks Chris Long, Robert Quinn and Michael Brockers, there are times when Langford can be overshadowed and under-appreciated.

Sunday, in a 28-21 loss to the Tennessee Titans at the Edward Jones Dome, Langford was among the team leaders with seven tackles, including a pair for loss. He had two sacks and two quarterback pressures.

It was one of the better games Langford has played since joining the Rams as a free agent prior to the 2012 season. But it came in another loss.

“If we had won the game, it would’ve been a huge deal for me,’’ the 27-year-old said Wednesday following practice at Rams Park in Earth City. “But since we lost it really doesn’t mean all that much.

“Consistency is the key word. We have to make sure everybody is in the right spot, the right seams. A guy like Chris Johnson, with world-class speed, if you’re not where you’re supposed to be, he’s going to make you pay for it. We’re a young team, but guys have to grow up and play more consistently across the board.’’

The Miami Dolphins’ third-round selection 2008, Langford spent four seasons as a 3-4 defensive end before signing here and making the tougher-than-expected transition to defensive tackle.

“Initially, it was a struggle,’’ Langford said. “But I definitely feel more comfortable this year. It actually started toward the end of last season; as the season went on, I got better and better and just tried to carry it over into this year.’’

Langford came on in 2012 to record a career-best 57 tackles but managed just two sacks. Through nine games this fall, he has 27 tackles and three sacks.

“I still have work to do — I’m a work in progress — but I’m going to keep banging the rock,’’ Langford said.

FISHER ADDRESSES HAZING

With the national buzz created by the Richie Incognito/Jonathan Martin situation in Miami, Rams head coach Jeff Fisher was asked Wednesday about rookie hazing.

“When the players come in, you talk to them about what our philosophy is and how we act, how we treat one another, the respect factors that we have and what we do and what we don’t,’’ Fisher said. “Obviously, it’s our responsibility to be very much aware of what’s going on within the building and that’s how we’ve always been. ... You treat a rookie like a rookie, he’s going to act like a rookie. So, we treat them like members of our team and that’s how we do things.’’

Once a fixture in NFL training camps, reports of hazing have dropped off in recent years. Fisher, who played for the Chicago Bears from 1981-84, recalls a different time in the league.

“Yeah, I made a mistake,’’ he said. “I had to sing my fight song and I really can’t carry a tune, so I juggled apples and I started eating apples while I was juggling. So I had to get up every single night and do it over and over again. You’ve got to do something bad or they’ll have you up there again.’’

INJURY REPORT

Four players — running back Zac Stacy (foot), tight end Lance Kendricks (finger), guard Harvey Dahl (knee) and quarterback Brady Quinn (hip) — did not practice Wednesday and are on the team’s initial injury report of the week.

The Colts’ list features nine players, including seven that sat out practice on Wednesday. Starters on that list are linebacker Robert Mathis (shoulder), cornerback Greg Toler (groin), running back Trent Richardson (ankle) and left guard Hugh Thornton, a University of Illinois product who was selected in the third round of last April’s draft.

Another starter, receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey (shoulder), was a full participant in Wednesday’s practice.

BRADFORD SURGERY POSTPONED

Rams quarterback Sam Bradford was scheduled to undergo knee surgery Tuesday, but that surgery has been pushed back.

“We have to reschedule it, it will be in the near future,’’ Fisher said. “There was a little bit of swelling from the work that he was doing. Nowadays, the physicians prefer to really strengthen the quad area and, of course, make sure that most of the swelling is out. During some of the rehab, he swelled up a little bit, so we just decided to wait.’’

Nothing to be worried about, Fisher stressed.

“Back in the old days, they cast it for half of your life,’’ the coach kidded. “Now, you come out of the procedure and they’re already working the range of motion.’’

Dr. James Andrews of Birmingham, Ala., will perform the surgery.

RAM-BLING

The first Rams rookie to post back-to-back 100-yard rushing games since Steven Jackson accomplished the feat in 2004, Stacy is among the nominees for Pepsi NEXT Rookie of the Week.

Stacy, who ran for 127 yards and two touchdowns and added six catches for 51 yards, is up against Green Bay running back Eddie Lacy, Patriots’ wide receiver Aaron Dobson, Redskins’ cornerback David Amerson and Eagles tight end Zach Ertz.