Lance Kendricks cost us 2 games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two TE's coming out...OJ Howard, and Jake Butts...and I bet Les & Fish want Howard because of athleticism....and I love Butts because of the other stuff...Big hands...and has made some nice catches...tough catches...

I do think the Rams need to realign their thinking with TEs and go with more focus on hands, catch radius and instincts to find soft spots in zones rather than the raw athleticism. We're definitely in agreement there.

But then again they sort of did that this past year. Going into the draft I figured Higbee would be gone well before round 4, so I didn't even consider that they would have a shot at him. The guy I wanted was Williams, who I figured they'd have a good shot at with those round 4 and later picks, but they ended up getting him much cheaper than that. IMO both those guys have a shot to play in this league, and both are the types of guys we are discussing.

So gotta agree with @BonifayRam and @jrry32 above that we have bigger fish to fry than TE. I think the Rams have enough there IF they can get a real offensive mind in this joint.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I know. If Kendricks would've made those 2 catches we'd be heading to the SB. How many dropped passes have our WRs made, how many bad throws have our QBs made, how many bad runs has Gurley made, how many....

The list is endless unfortunately, what I don't like with this team is that games shouldn't be within 3 or 7 points. I know its the way of Fisherball. But we should be scoring more. Period. I know a win is a win, but I think as soon as a team is up by 10 or 14 points, they relax into the win, the way we play, players must be on edge all the time - you know, " I've gotta make this throw", "I must make this catch" or "I gotta make this run" adding extra pressure on a player.

Look at that quote by JJ on the way he played at the Rams, he felt that he HAD to push it and commit sometimes, because he felt he HAD to do something.

We need to go through the motions, do the basics correctly, convert our first downs, stop passing behind the LOS, mix up the backfield, get TA running with the ball and score some TDs.

So no, I don't think Kendricks has cost us games, his drops have been unfortunate - but not the reason. Look at the stats below, we're pretty equal with our opponents

REC TAR % YDS AVG TD LONG 20+ YDS/G FUM FUML YAC 1DN
Rams 242 408 59 2678 11.1 13 66 37 223.2 2 2 1239 120
Opponents
291 447 65 2933 10.1 21 61 31 244.4 4 3 1243 145

Our catch rate could be better, but look at the TD scored. We need to sort out our Redzone work...
Very well stated. Yeah people can bash Kendricks for some drops, but this is a collective problem by all our receivers. Add to it our O-Line issues, QB issues, coaching issues and you'll see why we are not executing well enough to win. Hopefully we see some improvement over the next four games by everyone involved with the offense. These next four games should be considered a "final dress rehearsal" for some guys whether they should return next year. Some guys are going to be on the chopping board if they don't produce, and that should include coaches too.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I can remember 2 different games that I attended in person were Lance could be given credit for WINNING the game. Opening day last year in STL vs the shecocks... and the year before in Tampa when he burned the bucs right after halftime with an 80 yd TD catch and run. I don't believe that 1 play wins or loses a game though.

He's a hell of a player in my point of view. Apparently Belicheat thinks so too. But what do we know?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Every time someone brings up dropped passes for their favourite whipping boy, I feel obligated to say the words...
Tavon Austin.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
These next four games should be considered a "final dress rehearsal" for some guys whether they should return next year. Some guys are going to be on the chopping board if they don't produce, and that should include coaches too.

^^ this right here, it should be make or break time for some guys, vets AND rookies on the bubble

fearsomefour

Legend
So now the focus of this board for an offensive scapegoat changes again?? Shocking.
First it was a Cook. Overpaid and he underperformed as a receiver but the O had major line and QB issues.
Then this preseason it was Quick. The big push that Quick was a major problem was absurd as he hadn't even been playing. The nonsense about him have terrible hands or even worse hands than other Ram receivers was not accurate as I pointed out at the time. He scored some early TDs and all was forgiven.
Now I guess it is Kendricks? The issues along the O line, QB play, our star RB, play calling and scheming.....and Kendricks is the problem? Give me a break.
Anyone suggesting he is not a starting level TE has no concept of the position and what the TE role is in this offense. Ignorance.
He is one of the better players on the team. I would be amazed if he is went anywhere. When people flipped when he got a nice contract and quoted his receiving stats.....well, wow, that's all I can say.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Lance (lights got in my eyes Kendricks ) was a big part in last year's loss to the Steelers . I had a room full of Steeler fans at my house when I prematurely yelled touchdown before he dropped the can of corn pass . No bragging rights for me .

Rams77

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So now the focus of this board for an offensive scapegoat changes again?? Shocking.
First it was a Cook. Overpaid and he underperformed as a receiver but the O had major line and QB issues.
Then this preseason it was Quick. The big push that Quick was a major problem was absurd as he hadn't even been playing. The nonsense about him have terrible hands or even worse hands than other Ram receivers was not accurate as I pointed out at the time. He scored some early TDs and all was forgiven.
Now I guess it is Kendricks? The issues along the O line, QB play, our star RB, play calling and scheming.....and Kendricks is the problem? Give me a break.
Anyone suggesting he is not a starting level TE has no concept of the position and what the TE role is in this offense. Ignorance.
He is one of the better players on the team. I would be amazed if he is went anywhere. When people flipped when he got a nice contract and quoted his receiving stats.....well, wow, that's all I can say.

Kendricks has had the dropsies since his rookie year. You know who's a starting caliber TE? That kid in KC- Kelce. He is the safety valve for Alex Smith when things break down. Kendricks is a good backup or 3rd stringer

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
So he made a few mistakes. I can do the exact same thing with Kenny Britt, and find just as many mistakes in losses or close games that could have lost us the game if not for someone saving his ass.

The fact is, he's a solid TE. He's no Gronkowski but I'd sure as hell take him over Jared Cook any day.

It's crazy that, with all the good Kendricks does for this team (ex. 2 minute drill @ NO) we still manage to look for his flaws and why we should replace him. Let's focus on the real problems with our team.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Kendricks has had the dropsies since his rookie year. You know who's a starting caliber TE? That kid in KC- Kelce. He is the safety valve for Alex Smith when things break down. Kendricks is a good backup or 3rd stringer

Now we're comparing Kendricks to the elites.. Your expectations are way too high.

fearsomefour

Legend
Kelce is maybe the best TE in football as a receiver. He is only the third TE in NFL history to post three consecutive 100 yard receiving games. That's your standard for a starter? Ok.
There is more to the position than catching the ball as well.
To say Kendricks is a 3rd is absurd.

fearsomefour

Legend
So he made a few mistakes. I can do the exact same thing with Kenny Britt, and find just as many mistakes in losses or close games that could have lost us the game if not for someone saving his ass.

The fact is, he's a solid TE. He's no Gronkowski but I'd sure as hell take him over Jared Cook any day.

It's crazy that, with all the good Kendricks does for this team (ex. 2 minute drill @ NO) we still manage to look for his flaws and why we should replace him. Let's focus on the real problems with our team.
Exactly.
This seems to happen quite a bit here with the board in regards to offense. Doesn't make a lot of sense when there are big problems on that side of the ball.
Kendricks has a 9.3% drop rate this year....that is higher than one would want but not so high as to be an outlier. Kelce has a 8.5% drop rate by comparison. I will certainly give Kelce some extra credit as he runs deeper routes at times. Kendricks is not a perfect receiver by any stretch but he is one of the better elents of the offense. A good blocker in most cases. Can line up as a hand down TE, as a FB or out wide. He certainly has better hands than Austin. That is apples and oranges though.
Kendricks is 10 catches away from moving to 11th all time in Rams history in terms of catches and will be the all time leader in TDs for a TE in Rams history.
What offense is being run dictates a lot I what a TE role is, but, Kendricks is one of the best the Rams have ever had.

Rams77

Starter
I'm fine with Kendricks as a backup and as long as you don't throw to him in pressure situations or where there is a defender within 5 yards of him. Actually you can make that rule for most of our WR corps this yr. ,Screw it-Trade all our first rounders from 2018-2023 for OBJ

Zero

Pro Bowler
I think it's time the Rams cut this guy as well and play their young guys at TE.
Kendricks has 4 drops out of 73 targets = 5.5% drop percentage.
Tavon Austin 5 drops out of 79 targets = 6.3% drop percentage.
Tyler Higbee 2 drops out of 22 targets = 9.1% drop percentage.
Should we Cut Tavon and Tyler too?

What about this guy?What the heck is Denver thinking?
He shouldn't even be on a roster.
Demaryius Thomas 6 drops out of 103 targets = 5.8% drop percentage.

Rams77

Starter
Tavon should just be a PR and a HB/screen pass guy. He's a borderline terrible conventional wide receiver . Higbee is still a rookie. If after 6 years he's dropping this many then he's gotta go too.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Tavon should just be a PR and a HB/screen pass guy. He's a borderline terrible conventional wide receiver . Higbee is still a rookie. If after 6 years he's dropping this many then he's gotta go too.
2013 - 2 drops
2014 - 1 drop
2015 - 3 drops
2016 - 4 drops
So now you're really making sense.
Welcome to ROD.You're gonna love it here