Lamarcus Joyner on bigger role with Rams: 'A dream come true'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...er-on-bigger-role-with-rams-a-dream-come-true

Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Practice was over, several of his teammates had showered up and driven away, and Lamarcus Joyner remained on the field, all alone, jogging laps, dripping sweat. After three years of proving himself in a part-time role, the Los Angeles Rams are finally giving Joyner the opportunity he always wanted -- to be on the field at all times, as both a free safety and a slot corner.

Joyner calls it "a dream come true."

i

"A lot of people make it to the league," he said upon finally coming off the field on Monday. "Some guys don’t pan out; some guys never get what they want. And to be in the driver’s seat of what you want to do as a professional football player, that’s really a dream come true."

Hard Knocks."

"A lot of people may have looked at that wrong," Joyner said, "but I don’t think a guy going to his boss wanting to play more, the way he’s putting in work, is disrespectful or arrogance or anything wrong. It's just passion. It’s a guy that loves football and wants to help the organization that drafted him to win."

Joyner played safety as a sophomore and junior for the Seminoles, a two-year stretch that was sandwiched between time at corner. Joyner often told Fisher and former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams that he wanted to also help at safety, "But the scheme didn’t allow it," Joyner said. "I had to master nickel in that scheme. That’s what I did."

Joyner played in 1,349 snaps over the past two years, fifth-most among Rams defensive players and trailing only Trumaine Johnson among cornerbacks. But that was largely due to Joyner's own durability and stability, not necessarily the magnitude of his role. Last year, Joyner finished 30th among 111 qualified corners by Pro Football Focus despite playing most of that season with a broken toe. When it was over, the Rams grew motivated to open up more playing time for him.

T.J. McDonald was allowed to leave via free agency, which moved Maurice Alexander to strong safety.

The plan now is for Joyner to play free safety in base sets and go back to his role as a slot corner on nickel downs. But nothing is guaranteed. The Rams also signed Nickell Robey-Coleman, another excellent slot corner. And they drafted John Johnson, who excelled as a high safety and and in man coverage at Boston College. Joyner can't let up.

"The difference between the league and high school and college is availability, accountability and dependability," Joyner said. "Some guys get fed with the golden spoon, some guys don’t. Unfortunately, I had to take the path where I had to prove myself year in and year out. It’s been paying off."

It could pay off even bigger. The Rams are trying to figure something out with star defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who hasn't shown up for organized team activities while hoping for a restructured contract. But they also have several defensive players who are only one season away from free agency. The priorities among that group -- even more so than Trumaine Johnson, who is set to play under his second consecutive franchise tag -- are inside linebacker Alec Ogletree and Joyner.

The Rams are confident Joyner can take to free safety and impact their defense on every snap, a responsibility that he is embracing.

It's been long enough.

"A career in the NFL is like a lion," Joyner said. "It’s vigorous and violent, but it’s short-lived. Glory don’t last that long in the league. That’s just the nature of the beast. So, three years is a long time off my career to be waiting. But patience is everything."

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It makes me angry knowing he wanted to play FS but Fisher was too damn stubborn to let him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have really high hopes for Joyner at FS! It's were he should have been playing all along!!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have really high hopes for Joyner at FS! It's were he should have been playing all along!!

I also like the move but I hope he improves his hands of stone. We need some picks from this position and Joyner is a hard hitter who needs to catch the ball better.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also like the move but I hope he improves his hands of stone. We need some picks from this position and Joyner is a hard hitter who needs to catch the ball better.

Was popping in to say the same thing. I think he will have good instincts and be a good tackler...but I want to see some picks too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
A lot of ROD GM's wanted to see Joyner at FS....Now you got your chance.

I really like this kids attitude. Again, while watching him live in a practice, he's a coach's dream. He goes 100% every rep. While I have my doubts, I'm pulling for him.

I think the last thing we should be concerned with is FS...either Joyner or his replacement, which looks like Cody Davis at this time.

My boy Brian Randolph looks bad with that brace.
temp170605_OTA7_HU_116--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

I've seen guys try to play skill positions with braces...and I can already imagine QB's licking their chops.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I def feel at this point that having Joyner and Alexander at FS/SS is an upgrade over Alexander/McDonald

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Don't sleep on Brian Randolph, who was hurt all last season after coming out of Tennessee.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think he'll be fine. they are doing a lot of work on Technique in OTA's, I think that will help him!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
A lot of ROD GM's wanted to see Joyner at FS....Now you got your chance.

I really like this kids attitude. Again, while watching him live in a practice, he's a coach's dream. He goes 100% every rep. While I have my doubts, I'm pulling for him.

I think the last thing we should be concerned with is FS...either Joyner or his replacement, which looks like Cody Davis at this time.

My boy Brian Randolph looks bad with that brace.
temp170605_OTA7_HU_116--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

I've seen guys try to play skill positions with braces...and I can already imagine QB's licking their chops.

That's what is really worrysome is elite QB situational awareness. I can see someone taking advantage of a situation in the deep field due to someones prior injuries. I've seen some videos on Randolph, he really knows where to be on the field to make plays. I just hope this knee injury doesn't ruin his chances on making this roster. We will see.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I def feel at this point that having Joyner and Alexander at FS/SS is an upgrade over Alexander/McDonald
I think TJ as awful in coverage, and Mo Alexander doesn't have the feel that LeMarcus will have. I think it will be superior. Mo will be a pro bowl level SS---strength, great tackling, speed some LB instincts....think TJ Ward but a lot faster

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am anxious to see Joyner in this defense and larger role at FS.

He was among my favorite players in his draft class, but always felt square peg / round hole in how he was utilized since turning pro.

We could find ourselves with a tough contract decision, evaluating his worth, with only 1 season in his new role.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
This kid is one of my favorites. I don't give a crap what happened on Hard Knocks or how injuries slowed him down a couple years ago. I think he's all heart and effort and I love it. I don't know that he'll turn into Tyrann Mathieu moving to Safety, but I'm damn sure he'll give it 110% trying to.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Never been a fan of Joyner and this was not fair to him because the Rams traded up to draft him because Fisher thought he was outsmarting his former team in the Titans. Rams gave up a 5th which might not seem like much, but I was hoping they would use that 5th to draft QB A.J. McCarron, who I thought was the perfect backup for Bradford.

Well, if they had kept the pick the Rams could have selected the Crimson Tide alum because he went in that round later to the Bengals. Anyway as I digress, Joyner is a natural free safety and was excellent on the Safety Blitz in college and I expect Wade Phillips and company to better utilize his talents and concur with @simonblaze that the Joyner/Alexander combo will trump the combination of McDonald & Alexander because it plays to their strengths better, which is why Wade Phillips is the best at what does.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Seriously though.....I don't expect Joyner to excel in coverage as a FS.

Also I recall Les talking about a DB at the Senior Bowl that really impressed him with his movement skills. He said he moved better than most corners there. I think that was John Johnson. I wonder if we will see him tried at corner.

If he is strictly a FS, then Joyner best be in top form, because he will be a cap casualty if not. The Rams can't afford to sign them all.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Seriously though.....I don't expect Joyner to excel in coverage as a FS.

Also I recall Les talking about a DB at the Senior Bowl that really impressed him with his movement skills. He said he moved better than most corners there. I think that was John Johnson. I wonder if we will see him tried at corner.

Why don't you think Joyner won't excel in coverage? Did a good job in the slot and helping out in coverage IMO, he should be better than what the Rams have had in the past.

As to Johnson don't see him being a CB because he's a tad slow and tended to keep plays in front of him because of the fear of being beat and that is why he was moved to Safety at Boston College. Granted his future is FS and might be the reason the Rams allow Joyner to move on, but the better Joyner plays the better the compensatory pick if the Rams feel Johnson is the future there.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I am anxious to see Joyner in this defense and larger role at FS.

He was among my favorite players in his draft class, but always felt square peg / round hole in how he was utilized since turning pro.

We could find ourselves with a tough contract decision, evaluating his worth, with only 1 season in his new role.