Lakers "win" the #2 Pick!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just draft Okafor and develop the guy. It's not like you're a championship caliber team. It's rebuilding time.
If we eff this up....I keep hearing all kinds of BS..Russell & now Cousins...I like Cousins...but not at what he'll be making in 2-3 years....

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
lmao, the Wikipedia page shows Cousins playing for the Lakers
cdzeofZ.png

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lmao, the Wikipedia page shows Cousins playing for the Lakers
cdzeofZ.png

It was the Mavericks a second ago and now it's the Knicks haha. EDIT: Now it's the Celtics. EDIT #2: Now back to the Kings.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I've seen some speculation that the Lakers could look at D'Angelo Russell at #2. I know Clarkson was a pleasant surprise and could be effective starting at the 1 long term but he's no Russell. If they can add Cousins and maintain the #2 pick it makes too much sense. But then do they have enough ammo without the #2 to get Cousins? Picks 27 and 34 are nice but not a lot of ammo. But stay at 2 take Russell then at 27 get say Rashad Vaughn or Norman Powell to man the 2. Kobe at the 3 Randle at the 4 hell bring back Hill at the 5 unless you can upgrade that and that's a damned young and talented starting 5.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Lakers need a playmaker
I hope Russell is the pick
I've been thinking the same for a while now. Get a good play making PG to compete in the west. Spend our other two picks on 2-3s that can shoot or create.

PhxRam

The Lakers brass either have some big moves up their sleeves or we screwed this draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the Russell pick. Now, keep the kid. Personally, if I were them, I'd go hard after DeAndre Jordan. Aldridge is a great player but if you put him out there with Randle, you have no rim protection. Jordan will give you the interior defense and rebounding the Lakers need. Because they have talent on the outside. Especially if Kobe returns. But I don't know if DeAndre will leave the Clippers.

Cousins would be nice but I wouldn't give up Russell, Clarkson, and Randle to get him. That's the young base you have to build around.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, none of the quality big men are coming to LA. Might do better to just tank another season and try to get in the top 5. They owe that pick to Philly but its top 5 protected up until 2018. It was part of the Nash trade with Phoenix and they traded it to Philly.

What would really suck is if they tanked just enough to end up number 6. They'd have another lousy season with no pick to show for it. Either make the playoffs as a low seed first round exit or totally tank into the top 5 in the draft. That would be best case scenario.

I just hope they stop trading away picks. The CBA is different now and they can't just outspend for the top players. They gotta actually do their due diligence, scout the players and build through the draft. Something they haven't been accustomed to.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, none of the quality big men are coming to LA. Might do better to just tank another season and try to get in the top 5. They owe that pick to Philly but its top 5 protected up until 2018. It was part of the Nash trade with Phoenix and they traded it to Philly.

What would really suck is if they tanked just enough to end up number 6. They'd have another lousy season with no pick to show for it. Either make the playoffs as a low seed first round exit or totally tank into the top 5 in the draft. That would be best case scenario.

I just hope they stop trading away picks. The CBA is different now and they can't just outspend for the top players. They gotta actually do their due diligence, scout the players and build through the draft. Something they haven't been accustomed to.

Eh, I like taking a chance on Hibbert after no one would take their money. It's a risk but Hibbert actually has shown the ability to be a quality Center and a great rim protector. He just hasn't been consistent and I wonder if he's a guy that gets in his own head.(too emotional)

Playing with Kobe might hurt him if that's true. But if he plays like he did with the Pacers in the playoffs a couple years ago and during the first half of the 2013-2014 season, he's a good Center. Was one of the best rim protectors in the game during the first half of 2013-2014 but just hasn't been the same since.

But again, I like the move. Might as well spend the money since you have it and there's the chance Hibbert rediscovers his game in LAL. Guy will block shots but if he's got his low post offense game going and is rebounding well, he's a very good Center.

Like I said, I still remember him owning the Heat in 2013 (and his playoff performance in 2013 just being all around great).

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Eh, I like taking a chance on Hibbert after no one would take their money. It's a risk but Hibbert actually has shown the ability to be a quality Center and a great rim protector. He just hasn't been consistent and I wonder if he's a guy that gets in his own head.(too emotional)

Playing with Kobe might hurt him if that's true. But if he plays like he did with the Pacers in the playoffs a couple years ago and during the first half of the 2013-2014 season, he's a good Center. Was one of the best rim protectors in the game during the first half of 2013-2014 but just hasn't been the same since.

But again, I like the move. Might as well spend the money since you have it and there's the chance Hibbert rediscovers his game in LAL. Guy will block shots but if he's got his low post offense game going and is rebounding well, he's a very good Center.

Like I said, I still remember him owning the Heat in 2013 (and his playoff performance in 2013 just being all around great).

I remember watching him play some that season. I thought he was going to be a very good center but for some reason he just dropped off the map. I'd be willing to take a chance on him. If he can provide defense and rebounding with few FG's mixed in he'd be a good fit.

Honestly, IMO Aldridge woulda made the Lakers better but I don't think they woulda been anything better than a low seed, first round exit playoff team. If they want to get back to being elite they need to build from scratch. Russell, Randle and Clarkson are a good start, but you can't expect first and second year guys to play at a high level for 82 games. They'll have their ups and downs. Kobe's contract will be finished next year. There are some high level free agents coming out. Maybe they oughta make sure they got plenty of cap space for next year. If they trade for a guy who's team wants to dump his salary they can sign him to a bigger deal.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Lakers are lost without the Old Man driving the bus (no pun intended). The "kids" are a mess and frankly they are an embarrassment. They can't land any big free agents because they are deluded enough to think they can operate as the LAKERS and just get what they want. Their father was the magic in the Lakers. Players need a reason to go to a place and the Lakers have no luster anymore. Doing twitter campaigns is embarrassing. They have been reduced to begging. Its pathetic.
Maybe not being able to land any big names is a blessing, they will be forced to build a foundation through the draft and with solid mid level free agents, develop depth of roster then try to add a key piece or two.
I have zero faith in their ability to bring the team back. I think the Lakers are going to be very bad for a very long time.
Sad.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The Lakers are lost without the Old Man driving the bus (no pun intended). The "kids" are a mess and frankly they are an embarrassment. They can't land any big free agents because they are deluded enough to think they can operate as the LAKERS and just get what they want. Their father was the magic in the Lakers. Players need a reason to go to a place and the Lakers have no luster anymore. Doing twitter campaigns is embarrassing. They have been reduced to begging. Its pathetic.
Maybe not being able to land any big names is a blessing, they will be forced to build a foundation through the draft and with solid mid level free agents, develop depth of roster then try to add a key piece or two.
I have zero faith in their ability to bring the team back. I think the Lakers are going to be very bad for a very long time.
Sad.

There are plenty who echo that sentiment. Jim Buss said he would step down if they don't build a contender in 3 years. His sister is holding him to that. A lot of people think Jimmy is the major reason for their demise. His issues with Phil Jackson haven't helped either.

fearsomefour

Legend
There are plenty who echo that sentiment. Jim Buss said he would step down if they don't build a contender in 3 years. His sister is holding him to that. A lot of people think Jimmy is the major reason for their demise. His issues with Phil Jackson haven't helped either.
I wouldn't trust either kid as far as I could throw them.
It is the inverse of the Raiders situation. I think Mark Davis has a desire to make his own legacy because Al was a dick to him for years. I think the Buss kids, to quote a funny line, were born on third base thinking they hit a triple.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
oh boy...Hibbert, Lou Williams, Deangelo Russell....Let Ed Davis walk...what next? Oh thats right Larry Nance Jr. and a SF from Stanford.....

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, the Sixers got screwed big time. Seems to happen to them a lot, although they didn't help themselves by stupidly picking Embiid when they already had Noel. They could've had three lottery picks (from the Lakers and the Heat). They only have one. If they're smart, they take anyone but KAT, Okafor, or WCS.

they have 4- 1st round picks next year. cant wait to see how they screw THAT up. ;)