La'el Collins news

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Wonder how far this guy slides if there is no news by tomorrow. Is the third round possible? I think so.

I could see him going undrafted. More likely, he'll get picked on the 3rd day. Crazy.

(That is, if no new information surfaces by tomorrow, alibi, talks to cops, etc...)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His liberty is on the line. For some, that's more important than money. Perhaps this guy is a man of principles, and the media supposition is all wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

This is a murder investigation. The police can interview whomever they please. It's their duty to follow every lead to find answers and they would be negligent if they didn't exhaust all options open to them.

iced

Police say they haven’t heard from La’el Collins
Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
collins1.jpg
Getty Images
Teams that want clarityregarding tackle La’El Collins before the draft starts most likely won’t be getting it.

According to Ross Dellenger and Ben Wallace of the New Orleans Advocate, neither Collins nor his lawyer had contacted detectives in Baton Rouge as of Wednesday evening to schedule an interview regarding the death of 29-year-old Brittney Mills. Police have said that Collins is not a suspect.

As one league source said on Wednesday, if Collins had no connection to the crime of any kind, he should be doing everything he can to meet with police ASAP, so that police can be persuaded to give Collins full clearance before the draft begins. Absent a declaration from the authorities ruling Collins out, how can any team draft him — in any round?

So why is Collins delaying the process? One reasonable conclusion would be that Collins has opted to protect his liberty over his draft stock, which means that Collins has reason to believe that, based on what he tells police, he could still become a suspect.

Notwithstanding the recent quip from Cardinals G.M. Steve Keim regarding the notion that teams would excuse Hannibal Lecter’s behavior as an eating disorder if he could run the 40-yard dash in 4.3 seconds, the NFL has changed since the Ray Rice video emerged in September. Despite the value associated with a first-round talent who slides to round three or lower, embracing someone who hasn’t been cleared of responsibility for the murder of a pregnant woman could set the stage for a P.R. nightmare.

Apart from public relations concerns, what employer would want to hire a person who possibly will be implicated at some point in such a heinous crime? That’s why Collins needs to be cleared before any team can justify hiring him.

I have a theory that, not only is it impossible but most likely encoded into Florio's DNA, That he cannot write a story without a stupid unsubstantiated theory inside it

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Schefter on Mike & Mike said there are multiple teams who believe La'El Collins won't be drafted.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, multiple teams believe LSU OL La'El Collins won't be drafted.
Collins, a first-round talent, is being questioned following the shooting death of a pregnant woman named Brittney Mills in Baton Rouge. He's not believed to be a suspect, but police want to talk to him to see if he can provide any information. Authorities believe Collins is the former girlfriend of Mills.

View: https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/593738375091384320

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Absent any additional information coming out I'm taking a gamble on him in the fourth round.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I heard that this AM.

There is no need to take him completely off the board unless they are sure he is actually guilty. It is clear he will probably move down the boards due to the lingering doubts but I cannot see him off the board of all 32 teams.

In today's media driven society people are now Guilty until proven innocent. Right is wrong and wrong is right.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm not taking a kid off my board that hasn't been proven guilty, is that talented, and has no damning evidence. It hurts his stock because there's now much more risk but I'd take a chance in the fourth or fifth round.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The police can interview whomever they please.
And under the original intent of our Founders, people were under no obligation to speak with the state, or answer their questions. Now if you don't do it, people are under the impression that you have something to hide.

Tell me, who's looking out for this kid's liberty while his freedom to make a living for him and his family is currently being crushed? As of right now, this kid has done nothing to hurt anyone. We know no different.

In today's media driven society people are now Guilty until proven innocent. Right is wrong and wrong is right.
The "people" do not own the media. Powerful interests do.

And the "people" do not own the NFL, powerful individuals do.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
@AlbertBreer: Per Baton Rouge PD Cpl. Don Coppola, a police interview with LSU OT La'El Collins has been set up for after the draft. No date/time yet.

- most bizarre draft story I can remember - ever.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The police can interview whomever they please.
They can, and you have the right to remain silent....this presumption of GUILT is what I believe the @Stranger is getting at...and it does stink

I'm taking him round 2....I'm drafting him after Flowers

G.Rob_Collins_B. Jones_Saffold_Flowers

And I'm trading back in the second for him....because I gotta get Hundley at 41

No disrespect to the deceased, but this terrible crime shouldn't be allowed to ruin this kids life b4 it even gets started...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No disrespect to the deceased, but this terrible crime shouldn't be allowed to ruin this kids life b4 it even gets started...

The crime itself isn't ruining him; it's not talking to the police and clearing himself as a suspect that is. Not talking to the police until after the draft is a stupid decision that he made, and like all stupid decisions, he made his bed and has to lay in it now.

I just hope that for both of their sakes that Collins isn't involved.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Apparently, the police don't want to interview him until after the draft - not the other way around.

And even if he has an alibi it doesn't mean he isn't culpable.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Apparently, the police don't want to interview him until after the draft - not the other way around.

And even if he has an alibi it doesn't mean he isn't culpable.

Right. Rae Carruth had an alibi, and he was directly responsible for his pregnant girlfriend's murder.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not talking to the police until after the draft is a stupid decision that he made
Do you think HE made this decision, or his counsel? Why does he have to talk with anyone? What if he doesn't know a damn thing about this incident? What exactly should he say to the police, the press, the NFL?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Do you think HE made this decision, or his counsel? Why does he have to talk with anyone? What if he doesn't know a damn thing about this incident? What exactly should he say to the police, the press, the NFL?

Someone close to him has been murdered. The police want to talk to him. Its pretty serious and the least he should do is go and tell them what he knows or doesn't know. Delays when interviews are coming are never good - you forget things, or start remembering things that never actually happened - and the more you think about it the less accurate it gets etc. Plus it doesn't look good - like you're trying to stall for time to cook up a story.

If I was him I'd have been totally up front - gone and talked to the police and then released a statement to the media offering condolences to the poor lady who lost her life etc and hoping the police catch the killer real quick and then he could have just gone into the draft with a clear conscience and plus points for being so mature, honest (seemingly - as long as he's not actually involved in this murder at all) and transparent in the way he was handling what's obviously not a great situation.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
When your life is on the line - guilty or not - listen to your lawyer. It's not like innocent people don't get convicted - they do.

But again, what I'm seeing is that he and his lawyers are trying to speak w police ASAP and the police aren't "ready for him"

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is a murder investigation. The police can interview whomever they please. It's their duty to follow every lead to find answers and they would be negligent if they didn't exhaust all options open to them.

Lawfully they can "Investigate" whom every they feel is a possible suspect. BUT!! a person has the right to refuse to answer any questions without an attorney present, and even then does not legally have to answer ANY question! that's the Law! Innocent Until proven guilty!! "Possible Motive" is not enough for me to Hang the Kid!

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
And under the original intent of our Founders, people were under no obligation to speak with the state, or answer their questions. Now if you don't do it, people are under the impression that you have something to hide.

Tell me, who's looking out for this kid's liberty while his freedom to make a living for him and his family is currently being crushed? As of right now, this kid has done nothing to hurt anyone. We know no different.

The "people" do not own the media. Powerful interests do.

And the "people" do not own the NFL, powerful individuals do.

I don't know who you are Stranger? But I'll tell ya what Cowboy, I got to agree with ya! A smart man won't talk to the police. A smart man says, " I want to see my lawyer."

This video convinced me. It's a long video, but it could save your life!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Athos

Legend
Collins has just become radioactive.

Not sure any team is going to touch him at all until he's cleared. I'm talking falling through to the 4th or maybe 5th. The way the NFL has gone with domestic violence (as it should have long ago) no teams wants a PR media disaster gun pointed at their head.