Lack Of Talk For This Pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexRamFan

Rookie
Forgive me fellas if this has been discussed, but does anyone else think that the lack of talk, expert picks, rumors and flat out silence surrounding the name Khalil Mack lead anyone else to believe the Rams are secretly drooling over him?

At a time of the year when false leads and intentionally spread rumors are more common than a guy dying to watch some football games it seems to me the silence surrounding his name makes me wonder what the Rams think of him. Do they love his abilities and want to keep things quiet about him due to the fact some have mentioned him as a number #1 talent?

The way Williams mixes up looks, throws blitzes left and right and loves versatility I would think he may be a pick worth mentioning.

If I remember correctly, last year there was no mention of the Rams trading up to get Tavon. They kept it quiet until they pulled the trigger. But there was tons of other rumors flying at the time.

Just curious what you guys thought of the possibility of taking Mack at #2 (assuming Clowney goes #1 and/or we do not trade down from #2 or if Clowney is available)?

We all know Fisher loves his defense. And the more I read and watch Mack, the more I personally like the thought of him on this squad.

V3

Hall of Fame
I posted in the thread about who the Rams are going to take that I think is going to be Mack. I can't stand the idea which is why I'm almost positive it's going to happen. It's how the Rams do the first two rounds. They find out who I don't want and then take them. Consequently, you can book Dennard going at 13, also. The only pick that hasn't gone this way was Ogletree.

The more I watch Mack, the less I like him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

Barring Trade, Rams Deciding on Mack or Watkins
Updated April 1, 2014
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

When the Rams landed the second-overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, thanks to their 2012 deal with the Redskins, many thought that once again St. Louis would be in position to make another big trade to load up on extra early-round draft picks for the next few years. As it turns out, some teams we've spoken to in the top 10 feel as though the Rams will have a trade market for the No. 2 pick.

There are four players that are viewed as elite in this draft: South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins, Buffalo outside linebacker Khalil Mack and Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson. Some teams want to come away to land one of the elite players, or get ahead of other teams to get the top quarterback prospect, Central Florida's Blake Bortles. In order to move down, the Rams would have to do it for less than the package they received from Washington, and St. Louis general manager Les Snead has been willing to move lower for less. He did in 2012 when the Rams traded down from the sixth-overall pick to the 14th with the Cowboys for a second-round pick.

However, there is a good chance that the Rams will be stuck at No. 2 with nobody offering a deal worth passing on one of the elite talents in this draft. From speaking to sources, if St. Louis is stuck there and can't select Jadeveon Clowney, its pick is coming down to Watkins or Mack.

The Rams have drafted a receiver in the top 35 picks in the last two drafts, including a trade into the top 10 to land Tavon Austin last year. Watkins could give St. Louis an explosive receiving tandem with Austin, but considering they also have invested picks in Brian Quick, Stedman Bailey and Chris Givens (as well as the signing of Kenny Britt), that is an awful lot of resources for wide receivers without that many targets to go around considering St. Louis likes to run the ball with Zac Stacy.
Sources say that Mack is the direction that St. Louis is leaning at No. 2. It sounds like the Rams are falling in love with the Buffalo pass-rusher. Mack's speed, strength and physicality is exactly what Jeff Fisher and Gregg Williams are looking for. They feel they can do a lot of creative blitzes with Mack and their two pass-rushing defensive ends: Robert Quinn and Chris Long. They would have all three rushing the quarterback on passing downs, with Long or Quinn moving inside on occasion. Mack would also give the Rams another edge rusher if Long gets too pricey to keep in two or three years after extending Quinn. They also would have depth in case they have a serious injury.

St. Louis feels it needs an elite front seven to top its divisional rivals, including the defending Super Bowl Champion Seahawks and a 49ers team that has made it to three straight NFC Championship Games. Arizona won 10 games last year and is a tough team that is getting better. With Mack, Long, Quinn, Alec Ogletree and James Laurinaitis, the Rams would have a lot of play-makers in their front seven who are good run and pass defenders.

The Rams, like all teams, are about to start convening all their area scouts in St. Louis as they hold their draft meetings and host prospects on teams visits in the final weeks before the draft. Things can change in those meetings, but right now, the Rams are coming down to Mack or Watkins with the second-overall pick, with Mack being the favorite.

Muleman

UDFA
I could be completely wrong, but I'm not buying this, sounds like sales pitch to me to drum up business for #2. If they are stuck at 2 I just don't think it will be Mack. However with a trade down from 2, depending who has been taken, all bets off the table on Mack then.

CB, FS, OT, OG, WR are all bigger needs imo so I'd hate the pick, but there's a chance that the poor pass coverage was down to a scheme that gets a DC fired after 13 games, that Long will be back week 1 and play the next 3 seasons uninjured, that Jones is the long term answer at LG and that Quick has the miraculous third year leap that everyone talks about. If 2 of those 5 come to fruition then I could live with Mack.

Alan

Legend
I like it better than drafting Clowney because OLB is a need. That's a pretty low bar though. I'm hoping this is BS.

V3

Hall of Fame
I could be completely wrong, but I'm not buying this, sounds like sales pitch to me to drum up business for #2. If they are stuck at 2 I just don't think it will be Mack. However with a trade down from 2, depending who has been taken, all bets off the table on Mack then.
That's what I'm praying for.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I bet the Texans trade with Atlanta for the # 1 and take Clowney! Makes sense for them! Hope the Rams get a trade down as well and take an OT!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Mack would be a great weapon for the Rams defense. I wouldn't have a problem with them choosing Mack as long as they get a good future OLT at 13 or trade back later in round 1 or in round 2. Bitonio may fit the bill.

Mack and Dennard would nearly complete the D. Then they only need a FS.

But the main problem on the Rams is the offense, so I would be happy with OLT at #2 and then a G in round 2 or 3 too.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think Mack would be a great weapon for the Rams defense. I wouldn't have a problem with them choosing Mack as long as they get a good future OLT at 13 or trade back later in round 1 or in round 2. Bitonio may fit the bill.

Mack and Dennard would nearly complete the D. Then they only need a FS.

But the main problem on the Rams is the offense, so I would be happy with OLT at #2 and then a G in round 2 or 3 too.

That's my worst case scenario and I fully expect it to happen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not a big Dennard fan. I prefer Gilbert but many here say that Williams prefers Press corners.

fearsomefour

Legend
OLB is a need but not a major one.
Barr, Mack, Van Noy....there are plenty of first round options.
The Rams have plenty of directions they can go....Espcially if they trade down and land a couple more picks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
"St. Louis feels it needs an elite front seven to top its divisional rivals" I would say the present top defensive front seven is in much better shape than the offensive front five by a very long mile. If they do not improve and power up that OL we will be seeing many last season game 17's this seasons ...even the greatest defensive front sevens gets worn down and tired when they are on the field all day due to offensive OL ineffectiveness....the defensive front seven won't even matter.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope I am wrong but I think that Fisher and Snead like to talk themselves out of Olinemen in favor of more athletic freaks. Robinson may be the exception this year but even then it is sounding like they would take Clowney or Mack ahead of him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
"St. Louis feels it needs an elite front seven to top its divisional rivals" I would say the present top defensive front seven is in much better shape than the offensive front five by a very long mile. If they do not improve and power up that OL we will be seeing many last season game 17's this seasons ...even the greatest defensive front sevens gets worn down and tired when they are on the field all day due to offensive OL ineffectiveness....the defensive front seven won't even matter.

The OL will be better, just not with first round picks.

For those who want OL in the first, the drop off in the overall production isn't steep if we wait til' the third round. It's dramatic to say otherwise...

We only need a couple solid guards and a OT to groom and we're good. Saffold is the swing tackle, Jones is the swing interior OL'man, then two solid prospects is all we need. You can't say the same if you pass on Watkins, Mack, or Clowney.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Why would we draft Mack, given that in our scheme, he wouldn't be an every down player?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The OL will be better, just not with first round picks. For those who want OL in the first, the drop off in the overall production isn't steep if we wait til' the third round. It's dramatic to say otherwise... We only need a couple solid guards and a OT to groom and we're good. Saffold is the swing tackle, Jones is the swing interior OL'man, then two solid prospects is all we need. You can't say the same if you pass on Watkins, Mack, or Clowney.
I sure like your positive vibes here on our present OL I sure hope your right. I am not in your camp on this matter with this OL. Are we once again expecting outstanding improvement on same three often injured & surgically repaired veteran OL'ers, a present unknown OL'er starter & Barksdale plus adding several mid to late round rookies @ OT & OG to groom for future play....Rams need one instant starter & one critical swing OT NOW ...from our present OL cadre? which one is going to start @ one OG who is going to start in place of an injured OT?

Rams have only one grooming OL'er who has started any NFL games & he is a UDFA WWC center Tim Barnes...not a real positive there. If you loose only one of the starting OT's (recall the fact that the Rams played & started 5 OT's in 2012 & 4 OT's in 2013) how much better did you say the OL would be??? I say awful weak is that OL now....with a bunch of groomers starting @ both OG positions. Add to the fact your choice of a swing OT is our best OL now removed from OG ....add that Saffold is a drop off in playing level from a healthy Long or Barksdale @ OT! We are thick as fleas on a hounds back with good young DE's & WR's what we are bare in is ready to start OL'ers. I just do not have that loving feeling here...

Why would we draft Mack, given that in our scheme, he wouldn't be an every down player?
Big fact there is it not? They could come back and say that we will play less Nickles & Dimes....just to have him on the field...but we know that he can not cover a slot WR .....or they could say that would mean that they remove last yrs first round pick from the playing field Ogletree but that is not a good option or remove the Captain of our defense for close to over 50% of the time....I am like you ....

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The OL will be better, just not with first round picks.

For those who want OL in the first, the drop off in the overall production isn't steep if we wait til' the third round. It's dramatic to say otherwise...

We only need a couple solid guards and a OT to groom and we're good. Saffold is the swing tackle, Jones is the swing interior OL'man, then two solid prospects is all we need. You can't say the same if you pass on Watkins, Mack, or Clowney.

Quality OLTs go in round 1 every draft. Even later in round1 the quality drops off steeply. Every team wants a cornerstone OLT and the only way they get them is to take one early or get lucky.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If the Rams draft Mack they almost have to start running a defense that takes a DT off the field on passing situations...and also truly run a LOLB/ROLB rather than SLB/WLB. Having two outside linebackers like Ogletree and Mack could be a deadly combo...but you've got to be creative to get use of their athleticism.