LA Times: Sean McVay's influence on Redskins is so loud you can still hear it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear he doesn't set up plays well....He's not an elite play caller...this is where he misses McVay.

If you judge Gruden off his work with Cincinnati you'll see balance and precision on offense. His offenses could smash it on you or go over the top and his wideouts always ran precise routes. So a lot of similarities to what we saw in Washington tbh.

I think McVay is more of a savant, he's in an elite class of offensive understanding and creativity now. But Gruden's an above average guy there, he's just going to need to be more involved in the offense now. And I guarantee you he IS this week.

This is a really big game for our defense too. They need to show they're an elite unit. The week to week consistency has been where they were lacking, and what kept them from being of Seattle's caliber. But I suspect they're ready to take that step now under Wade and with the adjustments they've made. So hopefully Gruden looks like an idiot on Sunday... :p

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sad but true.. I'm trying to think off the top of my head a head coach who has never been fired and retired with his first team but I can't. Anyone?

Didn't retire with his first team, but I'm pretty sure Don Shula was never fired as a HC. I believe Miami lured him away from the Colts after his contract ended. jmo.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Chuck Noll wasn't fired with the Steelers, he retired. Matter of fact, when he took the Steelers job in 1969 he was the youngest coach in the NFL ;)

For that matter Vermeil retired with us too.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

thanks for posting man, i hadn't seen a few of the segments in that video.

loved when mcvay was talking about their interview with kupp at the combine. said it was like talking to a receivers coach. looked over to coach yarber and said, "lucky we just hired you man otherwise we would be hiring this guy if he wanted to be a coach". haha, good stuff.

if you want to see it just play the video.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If you judge Gruden off his work with Cincinnati you'll see balance and precision on offense. His offenses could smash it on you or go over the top and his wideouts always ran precise routes. So a lot of similarities to what we saw in Washington tbh.
I wonder was that all Gruden, or was it some Hue?????? He's worked magic with QB's that I would say are less talented than others but have success. Doctson & Pryor are not D-Jax & Garcon....but they should be. I think they have 3 or 4 solid offensive linemen. Maybe their difficulties lie in Kurt Cousins himself. He just can't get in the endzone enough in the crucial/big game. If we pressure Cousins Sunday, we'll win easy.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Letting players play to THEIR strengths within his system. What a concept.
I agree.

And I think because of this, the Rams offensive scheme isn't going to be as "tight-end-centric" as McVay used in Washington. The Redskins had great tight-ends. And while I think Everett has room to be a great one, the strength of this Rams team is in the slot, so expect those receivers to get the lion-share of the touches (Kupp, Woods, Cooper). Also I think Gurley as a receiver will be a monster this year as well. Getting him clear of the line and letting him run free in the secondary is a strength McVay will capitalize on. So far Austin has been a decoy mostly in one game but I would think McVay will find some creative uses for him.

It's going to be fun this year.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
They better not worry too much about Sean McVay and forget Wade Phillips.

Aaron Donald's back ...

and he's mad.
Heck , Aaron Donald might go all Tyrunn Walker on their rearends!

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree.

And I think because of this, the Rams offensive scheme isn't going to be as "tight-end-centric" as McVay used in Washington. The Redskins had great tight-ends. And while I think Everett has room to be a great one, the strength of this Rams team is in the slot, so expect those receivers to get the lion-share of the touches (Kupp, Woods, Cooper). Also I think Gurley as a receiver will be a monster this year as well. Getting him clear of the line and letting him run free in the secondary is a strength McVay will capitalize on. So far Austin has been a decoy mostly in one game but I would think McVay will find some creative uses for him.

It's going to be fun this year.
Love it.
I think you are right.
Wouldn't mind seeing Davis in at RB in the no huddle too.
Of course, he needs to know who to block or chip first.