LA Times: Brockers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Huh Brockers at DE. I seem to remember a couple people saying we should put him there before the season and catching a lot of grief for that. Too bad we didn't draft a run stuffing NT because Smart as a rotational DE would have been great behind Brockers and AD.
The way Phillips shuffled things around in the Dallas game, there is no telling what he will do next!
Wade could put Tyrun Walker in at NT and use Smart in rotation just like you want! It wouldn't be a bad idea! JMO

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Huh Brockers at DE. I seem to remember a couple people saying we should put him there before the season and catching a lot of grief for that. Too bad we didn't draft a run stuffing NT because Smart as a rotational DE would have been great behind Brockers and AD.

Yeah I was kind of surprised personally when they put him at nose, as I assumed he'd be 5T but ended up being wrong. Where I was wrong also was I expected them to get a NT in either FA or the draft, run stuffer type, which didn't happen. And that's ok, things still might work out better the route they went, depending on how quickly Smart improves game to game.

Line is starting to play pretty good now tbh, they're rounding into shape. But I think Pete Carrol alluded to one difference being the overall depth, where they no longer "come in waves." Depth is definitely not as good now.

Either way as always I trust Wade to get the mix going. He's good like that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
yeah i know about Clark..was just talking about Avril.
Under Understood Loyal (y) Guess my point was this reserve RDE Clark had 3.5 sacks against the Rams last year.

No Brockers replaced Westbrooks.
I was under the impression that veteran DL Tyrunn Walker opened the season as the starter @ 5 tech DE post where Brockers played against Dallas?:thinking: Was I wrong? Ethan Westbrooks started for Aaron Donald @ the 3 tech DT post?
http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrunnwalker/2535892/gamelogs

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Under Understood Loyal (y) Guess my point was this reserve RDE Clark had 3.5 sacks against the Rams last year.

I was under the impression that veteran DL Tyrunn Walker opened the season as the starter @ 5 tech DE post where Brockers played against Dallas?:thinking: Was I wrong?
http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrunnwalker/2535892/gamelogs
One other thing is that Hawk media is lamenting that the Hawks Dline is 28th in getting pressure on the QB..So with or without Clark, they aren't doing that well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah I was kind of surprised personally when they put him at nose, as I assumed he'd be 5T but ended up being wrong. Where I was wrong also was I expected them to get a NT in either FA or the draft, run stuffer type, which didn't happen. And that's ok, things still might work out better the route they went, depending on how quickly Smart improves game to game.Line is starting to play pretty good now tbh, they're rounding into shape. But I think Pete Carrol alluded to one difference being the overall depth, where they no longer "come in waves." Depth is definitely not as good now.Either way as always I trust Wade to get the mix going. He's good like that.
Yep I was beating the drum on securing a real NT back early pre draft too. Most all had Dom Easley as the starter @ the DE post & Aaron Donald starter @ DT post with Brockers starting @ NT. But if you read the profile on the under 6-1 295 pound Smart before the draft I should have got a clue that he fits the Wade description of what he desires @ NT...I missed that completely.

Walker, Westbrooks & Fox can play both the 5 tech & 3 tech posts so can rookie Smart. Walker shared about half the Defensive snaps with Smart against the Cowboys @ NT. We also saw all kinds of Dl'ers playing the two interior posts in Wades 4 DL rush unit in the Nickle.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Did anyone see Prescott’s face when he was on the ground after Brockers sacked him?

It was almost as precious as the win.

I was like

tumblr_m8joxtXiH91rr8hfs.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One other thing is that Hawk media is lamenting that the Hawks Dline is 28th in getting pressure on the QB..So with or without Clark, they aren't doing that well.

Yes, which makes the play of their secondary all the more impressive thus far this year. Their back seven is as good as Jared's going to face all season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, which makes the play of their secondary all the more impressive thus far this year. Their back seven is as good as Jared's going to face all season.
and the Hawks secondary will face the most deep, rotating bunch of receiving talent that THEY have faced all year..and may be the best that they face all year. I think our team is straight up better and we're playing at home if the Rams lose, to me that's an upset.

Ram65

Legend
I thought they would move Brockers around the line earlier. Could be they wanted to get Smart some PT first. Wade has been going to the smaller DT. They could use some more beef on short yard and goal line stands that is for sure. Have to wait and see what direction he goes for early downs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and the Hawks secondary will face the most deep, rotating bunch of receiving talent that THEY have faced all year..and may be the best that they face all year. I think our team is straight up better and we're playing at home if the Rams lose, to me that's an upset.

I don't disagree.

This is why I keep saying this is Jared's biggest game of his young career. Because not only is the game big for divisional purposes and the Rams standing up to the bully on the block, but this particular matchup is going to require him to execute in the face of a very good secondary. Goff's basically like a rookie QB, given how things went last year.

So I am confident, but not too much so. I think we're going to win the game, and maybe big, but that secondary is savvy as F so it's gonna be quite a minefield for our young QB.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
This just shows that coach Phillips is still figuring out what he has that works in his system. My bet is that the second half of the season has fewer close games than we've had so far, as long as the offense can keep it up.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Brockers was a beast Sunday my wife even brought up his name while watching the game and said that he should get the game ball. He had a sack a couple of play changing pressures and i believe he swatted two 3rd down passes. I was impressed as hell.
Wait, your wife said all that? Wasn't it weird to see a girl talk football, and bring up pressures and sacks, and stuff?

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
When I went to camp, there were two players that really jumped out to me as being men among boys. Todd Gurley (see avatar photo) and Michael Brockers.

In hindsight it doesn't seem like a surprise that he is beasting it this year. But that was the first time I had seen him that close and I was struck by how cut he looks this year. Stronger. I am happy for him. I would love to see him get some all-pro consideration.

IMG_0554.JPG

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
This just shows that coach Phillips is still figuring out what he has that works in his system. My bet is that the second half of the season has fewer close games than we've had so far, as long as the offense can keep it up.

Agree. I think that's EXACTLY what's going on. There was so much to do on offense. The Rams used their first 2 picks (3 of first 4) for pass catchers, made their biggest trade for another WR, and their biggest FA signings were for offense. There simply wasn't enough resources to go out and procure as much talent for the defense.

Not every inherited player is gonna work out in this defense. Some of the rookies drafted will take time to develop to the point where they can log significant PT.

This is one time the offense is way ahead of the defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Give Smart a chance. He's a squatty dude who brings a ton of energy. Wade loves those undersized NTs who can get into the backfield. I want to see what he can develop into as he gets more comfortable in the scheme.