LA Times: Brockers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-report-20171005-story.html#nt=oft01a-1la1

Rams like what they see with Michael Brockers on the outside looking in on the defensive line
Gary KleinContact Reporter

As a run-stopping defensive tackle surrounded by playmaking teammates, Michael Brockers spent his first five NFL seasons largely confined to the middle of the line of scrimmage.

But Wade Phillips, the Rams’ new defensive coordinator, has given Brockers some much-appreciated space.

Last week against the Dallas Cowboys, Brockers lined up wider than usual and made several big plays, including a sack and two pass deflections. The performance will give the Seattle Seahawks something to think about heading into Sunday’s game at the Coliseum.

“Inside I wanted to show the world what I had,” Brockers said. “You want to be a team player — you want to do what you have to for the team. But at the same time, sometimes you want those little accolades, to get the sack and hear your name called.

San Francisco 49ers, he intercepted a potential score-tying two-point conversion pass that bounced off a defensive back.

But Brockers, 26, has been overshadowed during his career by players such as three-time Pro Bowl lineman Aaron Donald and two-time Pro Bowl edge rusher Robert Quinn.

The move by Phillips seemed to liberate Brockers, a 2012 first-round draft pick who in September 2016 signed a three-year extension with about $24.4 million in guarantees

Brockers said he was nervous before the game against the Cowboys but was fine after the first play.

“It’s like, ‘OK, it’s time to go,’ ” he said. “Don’t worry about being wrong, being exact. Just go.”

He went on to show he can be more than an interior run-stopper.

“For [Phillips] to see me as a playmaker and to open it up and give me those opportunities, I appreciate it,” Brockers said. “And I just want to show him that he didn’t make the wrong decision and I can get the job done.”

Said Phillips: “He’s a really good player at any position he plays, especially going against the offensive tackles that Dallas has. He played really well against those guys and showed how good he can be.”

Moving Brockers also enabled Phillips to start rookie Tanzel Smart for the first time. Smart recorded a tackle for a loss.

“Like we’ve said about him over and over, he continues to do all the little things the right way and he’s playing productive football,” coach Sean McVay said of Smart.

Donald also continues to come on after sitting out training camp because of a still-unresolved contract dispute.

“He looks like he’s getting into shape and he looks like he did on film,” Phillips said, adding, “We’re always going to try to match him up one on one as much as we can, not let them double-team him and I thought we did that pretty well last game.”

Running back Todd Gurley was the NFC offensive player of the month for September and the NFC offensive player of the week for his performance against the Cowboys.

Gurley rushed for 121 yards and caught a team-best seven passes for 94 yards and a touchdown.

The third-year pro said the favorite award he has won was the 2015 NFL offensive rookie of the year.

But Gurley said he does not play to win awards.

“Hopefully a championship, that would be the award,” he said.

One other also would be nice.

“Super Bowl MVP — that would be lovely,” he said, laughing. “Shoot for the stars, but hopefully we can get a big award here soon.”

Etc.
Receiver Sammy Watkins returned to practice after sitting out Wednesday because of illness. Offensive lineman Jamon Brown (groin) and safety Lamarcus Joyner (hamstring) did not practice. Center John Sullivan (groin) was limited. … The Rams are expected to add receiver Mike Thomas to the roster Friday. Thomas has been practicing this week after serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances. “It just was a disappointment at the end of the day, just knowing that I did [something] irresponsible,” Thomas said. “Put it behind me and looking forward to coming back.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
WTF is with the groin injuries with the OL... These guys playin twister in the locker room or something?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
WTF is with the groin injuries with the OL... These guys playin twister in the locker room or something?
jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Or they need to eat more potassium before game day. Down a bottle of Pedialyte.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Do the Rams have some hot new ex-cheerleader as their physio?? Groin massage here we come!
No. They found a group of 5 foot tall Korean chicks that used to work at an Asian massage parlor.

I think I'm feeling a little something in my groin area as we speak.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
You think we have a lot of groin issues look at the Seachickens.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Okay, I want to admit that I was one of the guys that was saying that Brockers was going to be a nose tackle only.
I may have even rolled my eyes a couple times.

That may have been the initial plan by the Rams, but of course Smart turned out to be a pretty good nose tackle which may have been the reason they drafted him to begin with. ( to be able to rotate Brockers outside )

Last edited:

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Brockers was a beast Sunday my wife even brought up his name while watching the game and said that he should get the game ball. He had a sack a couple of play changing pressures and i believe he swatted two 3rd down passes. I was impressed as hell.

jap

Legend
The Incredible Brock says, "Every weekend it's clobberin' time!!!"

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Huh Brockers at DE. I seem to remember a couple people saying we should put him there before the season and catching a lot of grief for that. Too bad we didn't draft a run stuffing NT because Smart as a rotational DE would have been great behind Brockers and AD.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
He's still ONLY 26?
He's always been solid and his success on the outside makes this line pretty good all of a sudden. Brockers handling the outside vs a good Dallas OL bodes well for the Rams vs Seattle and Zona.

I really think the transition to a new defense is suffering some personnel misfits, but there are rookies behind them (Smart, JJohnson, Ebukem) who will probably be starters by next year, if not sooner (Smart).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am so proud of Micheal Brockers new gig on usually the left side of the DL. Another thing anyone else say much about the left side duo of Barwin/ Brockers? Barwin played a excellent game against Dallas with Brockers close to his right side. Barwin seems to be settling back in after several seasons playing elsewhere @ the strong side edge rusher. Barwin kept Dak bottled up on his side most of the game. Hope these two can build on the Dallas game to shut down the Russell Wilson time.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He's still ONLY 26?
He's always been solid and his success on the outside makes this line pretty good all of a sudden. Brockers handling the outside vs a good Dallas OL bodes well for the Rams vs Seattle and Zona.

I really think the transition to a new defense is suffering some personnel misfits, but there are rookies behind them (Smart, JJohnson, Ebukem) who will probably be starters by next year, if not sooner (Smart).

It shows how good it is to draft players in the NFL from the Senior Bowl in the later rounds.
Maturity is so huge in developing players , as well as the growth of a players body.

Brockers has alwYs been as man child. A real good guy. Hard worker, team leader. Brings so much to the table.

Wade from the past likes smaller DT(NT). What Brockers brings from a DE/DT spot is height to stop the quick 3rd down slants.He also helps contain the edge. Once this thing gets going you will see The Rams defensive front filling the gaps (space) a lot better. Just my opinion. Quinn is still learning & you can see a difference when Longacre is in on run plays.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cliff Avril is out Sunday.
He might be out forever. The stinger he suffered is really a pinched spinal column..Pete Carroll was making comments about getting Avril fully checked out and then see IF he wants to come back and IF the Hawks want him to come back...Hawk sports radio is kind of freaking out about it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He might be out forever. The stinger he suffered is really a pinched spinal column..Pete Carroll was making comments about getting Avril fully checked out and then see IF he wants to come back and IF the Hawks want him to come back...Hawk sports radio is kind of freaking out about it.

RDE Avril's back up Frank Clark has tore up the Rams past LT's. LDE Micheal Bennett has had good games too against our RT's. This Seahawks DL should be a excellent measuring stick for this new Ram OL. Sure hate to see that RG Jamon Brown DNP & that center John Sullivan still has a hurting grommet. But the Rams OL is in better shape than the Seahawks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RDE Avril's back up Frank Clark has tore up the Rams past LT's. LDE Micheal Bennett has had good games too against our RT's. This Seahawks DL should be a excellent measuring stick for this new Ram OL. Sure hate to see that RG Jamon Brown DNP & that center John Sullivan still has a hurting grommet. But the Rams OL is in better shape than the Seahawks.
yeah i know about Clark..was just talking about Avril.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
So if I'm not mistaken Brockers replaced Quinn? If so what does that mean for Quinn? Pay cut or release next off-season?

Cochiti

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if I'm not mistaken Brockers replaced Quinn? If so what does that mean for Quinn? Pay cut or release next off-season?

No Brockers replaced Westbrooks.

Quinn plays OLB this year not DE

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brockers replaced the guys who replace Easley. Quinn is an olb on the other side.