LA Rams S Cody Davis returns to practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
(y)

LA Rams S Cody Davis returns to practice
14 comments
With all the bad injury luck haunting the Rams lately, they get some reinforcements back
By Sosa Kremenjas@SosaNFLDraft Dec 21, 2017, 2:56pm CST

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/...-cody-davis-safety-returns-to-practice-injury

As the season-ending injuries continued to pour on the Los Angeles Rams the past few weeks, the tide has turned, and they’ve been blessed with some better news today:

Cody Davis Returns to Practice

Read » https://t.co/W1OclIVUQu pic.twitter.com/Ck13oPo4SV

— Los Angeles Rams (@RamsNFL) December 21, 2017
After losing a member in the secondary (CB Kayvon Webster) to a ruptured achilles, they gain a former-member who has been cleared to officially start practicing again, S Cody Davis. Davis was initially placed on injured reserve in early November after suffering a quad injury in week six against the Jacksonville Jaguars. After a multi-week absence, Davis has now recovered, and can make his earliest return to the field on week 17, which would hit eight full weeks (the required amount) a player must miss after being placed on IR.

Cody Davis was the third Safety on the depth chart, finding plenty of work on all special teams units, as well as sub-package defenses. Davis registered 19 tackles and an interception on the season.

I have been looking for this & commented on it about 10 days ago here:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...-on-injured-reserve.52631/page-3#post-1006497

Since the above post Rams have lost our starting outside CB Webster. Plus this week our Webster replacement in the Rams Defense line up Troy Hill has been unable to practice due to an illness. Lets hope that Troy can get well or we will see a ton of Blake Countess on the field when Joyner moves to the Nickle to cover the slot. Usually we have some issues with BC on the field & he is forced into heavy coverage use. BC does better normally in the run game.

If Wade can go into the playoff with Cody as our 3rd safety it will help us in the pass defense a ton. Joyner if needed can cover the slot with NR-C & Trumaine on the exterior boundaries. Moving Troy Hill back to the #6 DB role which to me is much more comfortable for this defense.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams still can bring up one other player off the IR if they need too. The only remaining player that I would like to see again would be TE Temarrick Hemingway. Hemingway fractured his fibula in the third preseason game (September 2nd 2017) and was said to be set to miss about 8-10 weeks. Well it's been 16 wks now so Hemingway should be fully healed. Another knock against him is he is Rumor'd to be the Ugliest Ram player according to Gurley & others... :LOL:

Not sure McVay really needs another big TE when he can't seem to get the highly skilled & talented Gerald Everett on the field at all. After Hemingway went down the Rams traded away a 2018 late day draft selection to the Redskins for Derek Carrier to replace Hemingway. A plus for Hemingway is he was here for all of the 2017 OTA's, TC & most of pre season in this offense.

Another interesting thing to keep an eye on here is the total number of LB'ers that they have signed currently.....(#12) Twelve is a heavy amount. Rams have added Cameron Lynch & the newest addition is ex Saint & Bronco ER Kasim Edebali. Kasim played for our DL coach Johnson when they were together in New Orleans LA. LB'er Matt Longacre has been down this week with a bad back & unable to practice at all. After this week we all know well how fst a bad back will send you to the IR. Throw in the other listed LB'ers on the injury report Mark Barron & Conner Barwin. I would hate to not have the steady & efficient ER Matt Longacre going into the playoffs.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Man....db's can't stay healthy on this roster....at least the Titans top 2 corners are out also....

Should be a HUGE day for Goff....I heard on a radio show last night the Titans allow 90 yards per game rushing...pretty stout up front....better to pass on the replacement corners....Kupp, Watkins, Higbee and Everett have big days. Give Woods and Gurley a day off.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think Hill will be fine. It's probably the same sickness Quinn and co went thru a couple of weeks ago. That stuff always makes its way around the locker room. Hope he just stays hydrated and is ready to go mentally

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams still can bring up one other player off the IR if they need too. The only remaining player that I would like to see again would be TE Temarrick Hemingway. Hemingway fractured his fibula in the third preseason game (September 2nd 2017) and was said to be set to miss about 8-10 weeks. Well it's been 16 wks now so Hemingway should be fully healed. Another knock against him is he is Rumor'd to be the Ugliest Ram player according to Gurley & others... :LOL:

Not sure McVay really needs another big TE when he can't seem to get the highly skilled & talented Gerald Everett on the field at all. After Hemingway went down the Rams traded away a 2018 late day draft selection to the Redskins for Derek Carrier to replace Hemingway. A plus for Hemingway is he was here for all of the 2017 OTA's, TC & most of pre season in this offense.

Another interesting thing to keep an eye on here is the total number of LB'ers that they have signed currently.....(#12) Twelve is a heavy amount. Rams have added Cameron Lynch & the newest addition is ex Saint & Bronco ER Kasim Edebali. Kasim played for our DL coach Johnson when they were together in New Orleans LA. LB'er Matt Longacre has been down this week with a bad back & unable to practice at all. After this week we all know well how fst a bad back will send you to the IR. Throw in the other listed LB'ers on the injury report Mark Barron & Conner Barwin. I would hate to not have the steady & efficient ER Matt Longacre going into the playoffs.
Carrier is a far superior player than Hemingway.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I think hill will be ok by Sunday and I liked what I saw from him in seattle so I'd prefer they leave Joyner at fs where he's kicking ass. However, I have all the confidence in the coaches so if they think joyner can do better than hill
In the slot without giving up too much with Cody at safety, then go with that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think hill will be ok by Sunday and I liked what I saw from him in seattle so I'd prefer they leave Joyner at fs where he's kicking ass. However, I have all the confidence in the coaches so if they think joyner can do better than hill
In the slot without giving up too much with Cody at safety, then go with that.
We may not see Cody Davis until the playoffs no telling the earliest he can be activated is in 9 days Saturday before the 9ers game. I

Just saw the latest report on the Rams Friday's practice....CB Troy Hill Full Go the only Ram that will be out for Sunday's game at the moment is LB Matt Longacre who remains out with a bad back injury.(y)

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Carrier is a far superior player than Hemingway.

Sorry, but I disagree. We know what we have in Carrier. Excellent blocking tight end, but awful receiver. Hemingway is a good receiver who showed excellent blocking when he was healthy in preseson. And I feel like we haven't seen his full upside yet. McVay really liked him, and I trust his knowledge on tight ends.

I'd love to see Hemingway back in action.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Sorry, but I disagree. We know what we have in Carrier. Excellent blocking tight end, but awful receiver. Hemingway is a good receiver who showed excellent blocking when he was healthy in preseson. And I feel like we haven't seen his full upside yet. McVay really liked him, and I trust his knowledge on tight ends.

I'd love to see Hemingway back in action.
Hemingway is a more athletic guy who has done nothing.
Carrier is a good blocker....a very important part of being a TE and a serviceable receiver.
To me Carrier fills an important role.
Is Hemingway going to be a better or more athletic receiver/play maker than the other TEs on the roster? Doubtful.
Is he going to block better than Carrier? No idea. There was nothing that popped off the screen to me about Hemingway. That said, he certainly has potential.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Man....db's can't stay healthy on this roster....at least the Titans top 2 corners are out also....

Should be a HUGE day for Goff....I heard on a radio show last night the Titans allow 90 yards per game rushing...pretty stout up front....better to pass on the replacement corners....Kupp, Watkins, Higbee and Everett have big days. Give Woods and Gurley a day off.
I do wonder if the reason the Titans rushing yards allowed per game is so low is because everyone is getting a Ton of passing yards on them, and the opponents just aren't running the ball!?!

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I have a lot of hope for Hemingway as long as his leg is 100%. He has the frame and athleticism to be a really good receiver and I thought he was flashing early in the preseason.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hemingway is a more athletic guy who has done nothing.
Carrier is a good blocker....a very important part of being a TE and a serviceable receiver.
To me Carrier fills an important role.
Is Hemingway going to be a better or more athletic receiver/play maker than the other TEs on the roster? Doubtful.
Is he going to block better than Carrier? No idea. There was nothing that popped off the screen to me about Hemingway. That said, he certainly has potential.

No need to bring Hemmingway up this season. He will be. Ore player moving forward I believe.

Cody Davis is a big special teams guy. He also is insurance. The Safety position
Has some nice young prospects.

Troy Hill needs t be a CB only right now.

—My favorite Ram right know that is on the bench is Kevin Petterson.
I like the way this guy plays. He has god cover skills.

Carlos Thompson just got called out by McVay to step up for Matt Longacre.Ebukham is that in on the rotation as well.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I have a lot of hope for Hemingway as long as his leg is 100%. He has the frame and athleticism to be a really good receiver and I thought he was flashing early in the preseason.
think he's the best blocker of the bunch as well. doubt he plays this year tho:unsure:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No need to bring Hemmingway up this season. He will be. Ore player moving forward I believe.Cody Davis is a big special teams guy. He also is insurance. The Safety position Has some nice young prospects.
Troy Hill needs t be a CB only right now.
—My favorite Ram right know that is on the bench is Kevin Petterson.
I like the way this guy plays. He has god cover skills.
Carlos Thompson just got called out by McVay to step up for Matt Longacre.Ebukham is that in on the rotation as well.
I would agree with you completely that there is no need for another TE at the moment with 3 healthy.

I like you also like what I have seen from Kevin Peterson too. He has been active now for the last 2 gms & should be the Rams 4th corner from this point on out. KP also has Nickle possibilities in the future if the Rams do not sign either of our Nickles (NRC & Joyner). Its a good thing that KP is signed for the 2018 season. Rams need to go heavy in corners in the draft. Rams only have 2 signed corners thus far for 2018.
https://www.bucsnation.com/2016/3/4/11137466/bucs-draft-prospect-cb-kevin-peterson
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/kevin-peterson?id=2555375

CB Troy Hill (ex Bengal & Patriots)is coming off his best NFL game of his career at this time but has been ill too. It would be of great cheer if Troy who will be 27 yrs old in 2018, can build on his Seattle gm! If he can the Rams are sure to sign him for the next 2 yrs (2018/2019) with a very nice pay increase in spite of his past immaturity events. Like I said earlier the Rams need both of these corners KP(23 yrs) & TH to pay dividends here the rest of the season.

Not positive on ER Carlos Thompson. The bad Matt Longacre injury event has provided Thompson a great opportunity here he better seize it it may bot come around again.He has been in the NFL since 2015 & has only been active for 3 gms with nothing to show! He played in 2 pre season gms until he was injured once again. That's been his normal position since 2015 ...injured & rehabbing events:(. Bottom line here I don't see much to get excited about on him.

I would prefer to see ER Samson Ebukam or even LB'er Cory Littleton on the field of play when either ER's Barwin or Quinn need a break. With QB Mariota returning to full health for the first time in a long time ...its very important that the Rams contain him. I do expect him to have a few big runs Sunday. Ebukam does have the quickness to help here Thompson has duck feet & is S L O W :cautious:.If the damp cool weather took Mark Barron out of the most important game of the season last week in Seattle you can bet that the near :eek:freezing weather In TN is sure to cause Barron sore/damaged knee to hurt Sunday too.

So you like our signed JJ III, Countess, Christian & Isaiah Johnson all four safeties are signed up for the 2018 season. Rams might have to go with this group if the salary $$$ run out. Myself I would hope that Joyner is paid along with Cody Davis then this safety unit should be great to go & Snead would be helped not have to utilize any draft selections on safeties bit instead use them on CB's, OLB'ers, NT & OL'ers.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would agree with you completely that there is no need for another TE at the moment with 3 healthy.

I like you also like what I have seen from Kevin Peterson too. He has been active now for the last 2 gms & should be the Rams 4th corner from this point on out. KP also has Nickle possibilities in the future if the Rams do not sign either of our Nickles (NRC & Joyner). Its a good thing that KP is signed for the 2018 season. Rams need to go heavy in corners in the draft. Rams only have 2 signed corners thus far for 2018.
https://www.bucsnation.com/2016/3/4/11137466/bucs-draft-prospect-cb-kevin-peterson
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/kevin-peterson?id=2555375

CB Troy Hill (ex Bengal & Patriots)is coming off his best NFL game of his career at this time but has been ill too. It would be of great cheer if Troy who will be 27 yrs old in 2018, can build on his Seattle gm! If he can the Rams are sure to sign him for the next 2 yrs (2018/2019) with a very nice pay increase in spite of his past immaturity events. Like I said earlier the Rams need both of these corners KP(23 yrs) & TH to pay dividends here the rest of the season.

Not positive on ER Carlos Thompson. The bad Matt Longacre injury event has provided Thompson a great opportunity here he better seize it it may bot come around again.He has been in the NFL since 2015 & has only been active for 3 gms with nothing to show! He played in 2 pre season gms until he was injured once again. That's been his normal position since 2015 ...injured & rehabbing events:(. Bottom line here I don't see much to get excited about on him.

I would prefer to see ER Samson Ebukam or even LB'er Cory Littleton on the field of play when either ER's Barwin or Quinn need a break. With QB Mariota returning to full health for the first time in a long time ...its very important that the Rams contain him. I do expect him to have a few big runs Sunday. Ebukam does have the quickness to help here Thompson has duck feet & is S L O W :cautious:.If the damp cool weather took Mark Barron out of the most important game of the season last week in Seattle you can bet that the near :eek:freezing weather In TN is sure to cause Barron sore/damaged knee to hurt Sunday too.

So you like our signed JJ III, Countess, Christian & Isaiah Johnson all four safeties are signed up for the 2018 season. Rams might have to go with this group if the salary $$$ run out. Myself I would hope that Joyner is paid along with Cody Davis then this safety unit should be great to go & Snead would be helped not have to utilize any draft selections on safeties bit instead use them on CB's, OLB'ers, NT & OL'ers.

I think Countess,Christian,& Johnson would be better Nickle guys than M Petterson.

I see Hatfield basically switched spots with Petterson on practice squad. I also thought it should be that way, but Les Snead lived telling the story of how he signed Hatfield.
— I also liked the LBer Casanova better than Carlos Thompson Ejuan Price really turned his game up. He basically switched spots with Thompson back on the practice squad as well.

I enjoyed the way all these DB’s competed in training camp & preseason. It made EJ Gaines available for Sammy Watkins along with 2nd rd pick.

Longacre will be missed ,but Robert Quinn needs more reps now anyway. Westbrooks is moved inside & Morgan Fox Plays the run a little bit better.