LA Rams 2020 NFL Draft rookie floor/ceiling: Van Jefferson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
LA Rams 2020 NFL Draft rookie floor/ceiling: Van Jefferson

With the 57th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the LA Rams selected a very competent wide receiver, Van Jefferson, out of the University of Florida. Lewis is a 6-foot-1, 200-pound receiver with almost elite level route running ability. Many expected the Rams to select a player from a different position at 57. And even with a pick at wide receiver, the Rams had plenty of talented players to choose from at 57. So why wide receiver there, and why Van Jefferson?

For starters, Jefferson is a legacy player following in the footsteps of his father, Shawn Jefferson, who himself was drafted as a wide receiver by the Houston Oilers in 1991. During his career, Shawn Jefferson made two Super Bowl appearances, losing both. Jefferson would eventually hang up his cleats and transition as a wide receivers’ coach. He was instrumental in developing his son’s route running ability as he knew what it took to succeed in the NFL.

By watching Jefferson’s play we can see those players who played in the NFL who most resemble him and his style of play. Next, we can use that information to project to see what he can become. First, let’s look at his basic attributes. Then looking at we know we can use it to project a comp for both their floor and ceiling.

Basic Attributes

-Great route runner
-Lack of burst speed, likely due to foot injury
-Undeveloped run blocker
-Legacy player

Ceiling-Cooper Kupp

Size-wise everything on Jefferson is an inch or less different compared to Cooper Kupp. Jefferson didn’t have the same collegiate production as Kupp did but his play shows a remarkable number of similarities. While neither receiver is a burner they create separation with their elite route running. This is great for sneaking behind a defense or finding open spaces in zones.

It also means that Rams quarterback Jared Goff can trust the receiver to be where he is throwing the ball. With a pretty filled out route-running tree, head coach Sean McVay isn’t limited in the passing game at all with these receivers at his disposal.

While fans and draft profiles sought “production” in college to assess a receiver, the Rams scouting department had a completely different measuring device for their selection. It’s clear that the Rams wanted to bring a rookie onboard who was most like their two most successful receivers. In the team’s own assessment of Jefferson, he is very much like the combination of Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp.

View: https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1255980961730363393?s=21

Since both Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp are 2019 1000 yard receivers, that’s a pretty good company for a rookie. And with the Rams facing expiring contracts on both Kupp and Josh Reynolds in 2021, the Rams have plenty of incentive to fast-track Jefferson’s development this season.

Floor-Adam Humphries

A decent slot receiver with modest production,5-foot-11 196-pound Tampa Bay WR Adam Humphries was on the smaller side of NFL receivers but had been very serviceable throughout his 5-season NFL career. While Humphries had a slow rookie season, which Jefferson could have due to a full receiving room, he still averaged 540 yards and two touchdowns per season for his career.

With Jefferson’s production in college, it might be no surprise that he might also have lower receiving numbers for his career. Of course, quarterbacks play a significant role in a receiver’s career. At the University of Florida, Jefferson was on the receiving end of passes thrown by either Felipe Franks or Kyle Trask, neither of whom are atop NFL scouting reports as college quarterbacks to prioritize in the NFL Draft.

The Florida Gators offense rotates receivers and distributes the ball. That makes it very difficult for a receiver to gain 1000 yards receiving. In fact, the last Florida receiver to do so was Taylor Jacobs, who caught over 1000 yards in 2002. That background information no doubt played a large role in the Rams selection process.

Final Projection

Van Jefferson will more than likely be serviceable to a very productive receiver. The Rams current receivers are well rounded, good in the pass AND run. The Rams receivers take great pride in their ability to block, so Jefferson will need to step up his blocking to be successful in McVay’s scheme. Also, his lack of production at the SEC college level is a little worrisome for the jump to the pros.

Still, Van Jefferson truly stood out at the 2020 Senior Bowl, much like Washington Redskin’s rookie receiver Terry McLaurin did the season before. Initially, I ranked Jefferson as a tweener, a 5-8 year NFL career receiver whose average runs between 700-800 yards a season. Then, after comparing his senior bowl assessment, and his play in big games, that projection improved a bit. He has the potential to deliver on all fronts, particularly in a receiver-centered offense like that of the LA Rams.

Keep in mind that Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell was the offensive coordinator who masterminded the sensational rookie debut of McLaurin. Now, O’Connell is once more in a position to convert the Senior Bowl’s most impressive receiver into an NFL rookie star. While the Rams have a deep receiver room, Jefferson has the potential to shine for the Rams in some games. But regardless of his rookie receiving yards, he NEEDS to improve his blocking.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View: https://twitter.com/BallBlastEm/status/1259219225543159808

mkovb.jpg

Psycho_X

Legend
Van the Man going to be our sneaky WR no one expects but will be used to fool the defenses this year when everyone else is being used as decoys. Probably will replace Woods in a year or two.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think with his foot healed people are gonna be surprised with just how fast she is..

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think with his foot healed people are gonna be surprised with just how fast she is..

It seems to me that even adequate speed, when used properly by a great route runner, is always surprising people.
Great route runners are the guys people are talking about when they say "his speed is surprising".
Guys like Donnie Avery, with speed to burn, never get those comments. Only in rare situations where straight line speed gets to be fully unleashed on a breakaway run do we ever get to see pure speed alone.
Tavon, who I don't hate, was quick, and had more than enough speed, never looked like a fast WR. A fast tiny RB/WR hybrid, but against DBs, all his speed and quick led to zero separation.

Its a quality that can be improved with training and focusing on technique, but like speed, I think mostly guys have it or they don't. Like its innate.

oldnotdead

Legend
Jefferson is faster than Robert Woods who timed in the 4.5 range. Jefferson before his foot injury timed in the 4.4 range which is plenty fast for a WR. Besides, it's been shown by both Kupp and Woods that excellent route running trumps pure speed.

Kupp ran in the 4.6 range before his injury. After his injury his rehab has actually made him faster and more importantly he's quicker as well. Jefferson has the route running of Kupp with more speed than Woods, He's got a higher ceiling than both. He's a true #1 WR and can play all 3 WR positions.

That's why I see him taking over for Woods after Robert's contract expires. Fanside's evaluation is incorrect IMO. Woods has shown his ability to get deep, now with Jefferson, the Ram's have two legitimate deep WR's. But more than that Jefferson can run the entire route tree from all three positions. Not every WR can do that. Also, he's not a small WR, he's got good size for the position and his speed and route running make him a nightmare matchup especially out of the slot. His footwork is excellent and allows him to beat press man and off-man coverage. He the kind of talent that is an impact player as a rookie.

Jefferson has elevated this WR corps. He's better than both starting WRs with a higher ceiling. It's clear from Fanside's comments that they simply are parroting other media reviews and not true scouting reviews many of which were done after his foot was injured. Media evaluations are suspect IMO. Which is why their preseason power rankings are normally wrong for most teams.

Jefferson is an excellent fit for McVay's offense. During their 2018 run the Rams with Woods, Kupp and Cook were thought to have among the best WR's in the league. They were known for their excellence in route running. IMO they are better than that year with the addition of Jefferson. McVay loves to layer his receivers covering all levels of the field. With just his WRs he has that and with Jefferson and Woods secondaries won't know who the deep WR is and both can run all levels as well. I think Kupp will surprise people and will be more than a possession receiver.

The Rams 11 personnel can now beat most nickels and that, in turn, will not only set up the deep strike it will open up the run attack inside between the tackles. They have the talent to be a top 5 offense. I see their defense being a top 10 unit. That's why I say this team is primed for another SB run. People who denigrate this team haven't really looked at who they have. They assume the o-line will be a dumpster fire. But if you watched them after the young guys came in they were actually pretty decent most of the time in pass protection. Where they were outclassed was in run blocking and that's on Kromer and his stupid dependence on a high school level outside zone horizontal concept as his only run blocking scheme. The o-line simply didn't know how to execute the inside attack that Kromer installed during the season and it showed in exceedingly bad execution by the line.

It's not a matter of lack of talent on the o-line. It was a matter of poor coaching of techniques and simple fundamentals. I think we will see a much improved o-line unit.

What does all this have to do with Jefferson? A lot in my opinion. Jefferson brings that threat element that was lost when Cooks was off the field and simply wasn't there with Reynolds. The bottom line is this offense won't miss Cooks with Jefferson. Improved line play will open up both run and pass and we will see an offense better than the one on the field in 2018.

That's how much Akers and Jefferson bring to the Rams and I'm excited to see it this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't expect him to develop the explosive burst you see with the freak wideouts but that's ok. It's not his game and it doesn't need to be.

Looking at examples/comps of old WCO type wideouts I think John Taylor is a solid comp for him, good size and fantastic hands and route running, type of guy who helps you move the chains and sustain drives. Goddamn I hated Taylor. Having a guy like that who can eat up teams over time by catching that pass here and there that prevent you from getting them off the field is enormously valuable.

I just feel really good about this pick. And I think we're going to feel him in this offense right out the gate.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Jefferson is faster than Robert Woods who timed in the 4.5 range. Jefferson before his foot injury timed in the 4.4 range which is plenty fast for a WR. Besides, it's been shown by both Kupp and Woods that excellent route running trumps pure speed.

Kupp ran in the 4.6 range before his injury. After his injury his rehab has actually made him faster and more importantly he's quicker as well. Jefferson has the route running of Kupp with more speed than Woods, He's got a higher ceiling than both. He's a true #1 WR and can play all 3 WR positions.

That's why I see him taking over for Woods after Robert's contract expires. Fanside's evaluation is incorrect IMO. Woods has shown his ability to get deep, now with Jefferson, the Ram's have two legitimate deep WR's. But more than that Jefferson can run the entire route tree from all three positions. Not every WR can do that. Also, he's not a small WR, he's got good size for the position and his speed and route running make him a nightmare matchup especially out of the slot. His footwork is excellent and allows him to beat press man and off-man coverage. He the kind of talent that is an impact player as a rookie.

Jefferson has elevated this WR corps. He's better than both starting WRs with a higher ceiling. It's clear from Fanside's comments that they simply are parroting other media reviews and not true scouting reviews many of which were done after his foot was injured. Media evaluations are suspect IMO. Which is why their preseason power rankings are normally wrong for most teams.

Jefferson is an excellent fit for McVay's offense. During their 2018 run the Rams with Woods, Kupp and Cook were thought to have among the best WR's in the league. They were known for their excellence in route running. IMO they are better than that year with the addition of Jefferson. McVay loves to layer his receivers covering all levels of the field. With just his WRs he has that and with Jefferson and Woods secondaries won't know who the deep WR is and both can run all levels as well. I think Kupp will surprise people and will be more than a possession receiver.

The Rams 11 personnel can now beat most nickels and that, in turn, will not only set up the deep strike it will open up the run attack inside between the tackles. They have the talent to be a top 5 offense. I see their defense being a top 10 unit. That's why I say this team is primed for another SB run. People who denigrate this team haven't really looked at who they have. They assume the o-line will be a dumpster fire. But if you watched them after the young guys came in they were actually pretty decent most of the time in pass protection. Where they were outclassed was in run blocking and that's on Kromer and his stupid dependence on a high school level outside zone horizontal concept as his only run blocking scheme. The o-line simply didn't know how to execute the inside attack that Kromer installed during the season and it showed in exceedingly bad execution by the line.

It's not a matter of lack of talent on the o-line. It was a matter of poor coaching of techniques and simple fundamentals. I think we will see a much improved o-line unit.

What does all this have to do with Jefferson? A lot in my opinion. Jefferson brings that threat element that was lost when Cooks was off the field and simply wasn't there with Reynolds. The bottom line is this offense won't miss Cooks with Jefferson. Improved line play will open up both run and pass and we will see an offense better than the one on the field in 2018.

That's how much Akers and Jefferson bring to the Rams and I'm excited to see it this year.

Agree and like your comments a lot. Jefferson has the potential to return the Rams' passing game to its highest precision form with threats all over the field from all three receivers, including deep. Goff excels at throwing with anticipation to receivers he can trust to be where they should be. McVay and O' Connell as you say will layer the receivers. They should also be very hard to get off the field on third down.

Like your point about the passing helping the running game. I tend to think of the running game setting up the pass with play action, but really it works both ways. To be the explosive McVay offense we saw in the past the run and passing game have to complement each other.

Also agree this offense has at least the potential to be one of the top in the league again. I also expect immediate contributions from the new players on D (A-Shawn, Lewis, Burgess). Expect O'Connell and Staley will help reshape the schemes on both sides of the ball for the better.

IMO the Rams this year are going to be really fun to watch!

Last edited:

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

Yup, exactly.

McSnead loves these types of players... They know, 99% of the league way combine HEAVILY... which can cloud judgements.

I think Kupp's draft stock went down due to being hurt and his 40 time, correct? Or am I wrong?

I just feel like we can draw some similarities of recent drafts and accurately paint a picture of McSneads draft philosophies.

It's why I always thought our first two picks were going to Skill Position Players... and why we sniped Jefferson in the 2nd... just like Cooper Kupp.

jap

Legend
Van's real schooling begins when he faces off against Jalen Ramsey in camp. He cannot help but become a better, more well rounded, more savvy wideout after that graduate school training.

oldnotdead

Legend
Eh... I think his ceiling is Keenan Allen.

Time will tell.

He's faster than Keenan who also dropped because of injury. Prior to his injury Keenan timed in the upper 4.5 range which is actually fast for a man his size. But more than the top-end speed is Keenan's route running and especially his acceleration out of his breaks. People need to watch game film to evaluate players. Play speed is different than timed speed. Rapp is an excellent example of that. Rapp's acceleration and excellent play recognition allow him to make plays and to play faster than his timed speed. Conversely, I have seen fast players who didn't play to their timed speed.

The Keenan analogy is on target though as his injury dropped him into the 3rd round and the Chargers got an absolute steal. IMO the same thing happened with Jefferson who has elite route-running skills as a rookie. I think like Allen, Jefferson will have a similar impact as a complete WR.

I hope I'm wrong about the Rams not re-signing Woods because I think this trio can be very good for a few more years. Robert will be 30 when his contract expires. I hope the Rams sign him for another 2 years.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Van's real schooling begins when he faces off against Jalen Ramsey in camp. He cannot help but become a better, more well rounded, more savvy wideout after that graduate school training.

Good point. (y) Iron sharpens iron.

jap

Legend
He's faster than Keenan who also dropped because of injury. Prior to his injury Keenan timed in the upper 4.5 range which is actually fast for a man his size. But more than the top-end speed is Keenan's route running and especially his acceleration out of his breaks. People need to watch game film to evaluate players. Play speed is different than timed speed. Rapp is an excellent example of that. Rapp's acceleration and excellent play recognition allow him to make plays and to play faster than his timed speed. Conversely, I have seen fast players who didn't play to their timed speed.

For more than a couple of decades now I have advocating replacing the track & field drills at the NFL combine with football-oriented drills. Most players are slowed down by pads that it affects their timed speed in track shorts. For example, some players may run a 4.4 second time in the 40-yard dash in track shorts but only 4.6 in pads (e.g, Desmond Howard). Certain really special players might run a 4.6 in track shorts and pads (e.g., Jerry Rice). Mind you, Jerry ran slower in pads than track shorts, but he was strong enough and carried his pads well enough that the difference in speed came down to hundredths of a second. For instant, Jerry might do a 4.58 in track shorts but 4.64 in pads. Note that both numbers round to 4.6 when restricted to only one decimal place. It is players like these that are said to "play faster than their timed speed." They don't actually play faster than their speed in track shorts; they simply are strong enough that they are not slowed down in pads as most football players are. The Horns' very own Isaac Bruce was one of these special players.

The overall point is to replace the traditional track & field skill testing with tests designed to better illustrate football performance proficiency.

oldnotdead

Legend
This is why the Rams place so much importance upon games like the Senior Bowl which in reality is the true combine. You can see exactly the strengths and flaws of a player. Teams like the Rams and even the Chargers pre-Telesco days trusted the Senior Bowl tapes more than the Combine numbers. They should structure the Combine as a series of controlled scrimmages. It will also, show them what players are more coachable than others. This is why the Rams like a few others have really scaled down their Combine participation and attendance. Static workouts which the participants spend months working on don't really show what they need to know. But games and scrimmages so. At the Senior Bowl teams get to see prospects actually competing against each other on the field and in practice drills. That tells you more than Combine numbers. The NFL should structure their Combine like the Senior Bowl practices.

The case in point is Fuller. In college, he played as a FS many times in a single high scheme. It was clear to me after watching a number of games, he simply doesn't have the range to play that kind of scheme. The Rams have to this point played a lot of exactly that. Without knowing his 40 time numbers I could see it easily that he was more times than not a step or two away from where he needed to be. Then I noted his 40 time in the mid 4.6 range and it simply confirmed what I was seeing. If his 40 time was 4.4 or 4.5 then it might indicate he's slow to read the play. So I see him being drafted and I immediately peg him as a SS in this scheme behind Rapp.

It's why the Rams drafted Terrell Burgess to eventually replace Johnson who really lacks the range to play a single high FS. Long speed is important for a FS to give him the necessary range. Johnson's lack of range is hidden by how much Wade played zone schemes. But Johnson runs a 4.61 and that would be great if he was a SS but too many times he's simply a step or step and a half late as a FS.

These stand alone test numbers should be used in the context of what you see on film. To either confirm what you see or open other questions about what you see. Jefferson's film are impressive because you can see his crisp routes and his speed and good hands. The test numbers he would have had wouldn't have really mattered.

The bottom line is that the Rams don't really need to see the combine workouts when all they need to see is on game film.