La Canfora & Company On The Rams' Pick & Other Stuff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Jason La Canfora joined the "TOPS" crew to discuss what kind of player Teddy Bridgewater will be at an NFL level, if Johnny Manziel is able to endure the rigors of an NFL season, and other hot topics regarding the 2014 NFL draft.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Great vid. I like Johnny Football to the Raiders.

RFIP

Interesting video. Pretty realistic with concerns of Teddy and Johnny, Bortles too imo.

V3

Hall of Fame
I just really don't get the feeling of a trade down this year for the Rams. I just don't like the talent at the top. It just doesn't seem like it'd be worth it for other teams to give up multiple picks for any of these QB's. They just don't seem good enough to validate a move like that. I'm not sure Clowney would garner much trade interest either. Boy I hope I'm wrong. I REALLY want to trade down.

RFIP

Just think about this for a moment, there are MANY teams in DESPERATE need of a QB, there is simply no way the Rams aren't offered a trade down, whether it's to their liking or not remains to be seen.

iMO they will trade down with Cleveland and then take Watkins at 4.

Snisher were smitten with Quick and Tavon, there is know way they aren't dropping their load for Watkins.

I just really don't get the feeling of a trade down this year for the Rams. I just don't like the talent at the top. It just doesn't seem like it'd be worth it for other teams to give up multiple picks for any of these QB's. They just don't seem good enough to validate a move like that. I'm not sure Clowney would garner much trade interest either. Boy I hope I'm wrong. I REALLY want to trade down.

F. Mulder

Starter
A lot of times a particular draft looks to have only 3-4 "elite" type players but as the Combine and visits pass and teams get on the clock on draft day, inevitably 1-2 teams panic and make a move that probably wasn't necessary because they fell in love with a particular player. They may not get an RG 111 package but they WILL get offers and one of them will be sufficient to justify trading down, and picking up 1-3 additional high picks. Just watch and listen as we get closer to the draft. There will be some huge "risers" and those types will only help the Rams in leverage.

V3

Hall of Fame
Just think about this for a moment, there are MANY teams in DESPERATE need of a QB, there is simply no way the Rams aren't offered a trade down, whether it's to their liking or not remains to be seen.

iMO they will trade down with Cleveland and then take Watkins at 4.

Snisher were smitten with Quick and Tavon, there is know way they aren't dropping their load for Watkins.

There were a ton of teams desperate for a QB last year and there will be a bunch next year. If the teams don't view the prospects as worthy of not only taking at the top, but also trading multiple picks just to get there, they won't do it. Last year there was just the one QB and no one traded up to get him. These QB's might be a little better but I wouldn't say by much.

Believe me, I hope you're right. Maybe I'm just negatively biased on these QB's so feel other teams feel the same?

As for Watkins, it's for that very reason that Snisher were so smitten with Quick and Tavon that the Rams WON'T take a WR in the first round. If they took Watkins, they'd be admitting they messed up with Quick. I truly believe almost all coaches and GM's will wait until it's painfully obvious to everyone else that a mistake was made before they'll finally admit they were wrong. I don't think they're ready to admit Quick was a bad pick and for that reason they won't use another high pick on a WR.

I hope I'm wrong on that one too.

V3

Hall of Fame
A lot of times a particular draft looks to have only 3-4 "elite" type players but as the Combine and visits pass and teams get on the clock on draft day, inevitably 1-2 teams panic and make a move that probably wasn't necessary because they fell in love with a particular player. They may not get an RG 111 package but they WILL get offers and one of them will be sufficient to justify trading down, and picking up 1-3 additional high picks. Just watch and listen as we get closer to the draft. There will be some huge "risers" and those types will only help the Rams in leverage.

I guess it comes down to what is deemed adequate compensation. We all know it won't be RG3 compensation. What about the traditional "draft value chart" compensation? Will that be enough? Will Snisher think that's enough?

RFIP

As for Watkins, it's for that very reason that Snisher were so smitten with Quick and Tavon that the Rams WON'T take a WR in the first round. If they took Watkins, they'd be admitting they messed up with Quick. I truly believe almost all coaches and GM's will wait until it's painfully obvious to everyone else that a mistake was made before they'll finally admit they were wrong. I don't think they're ready to admit Quick was a bad pick and for that reason they won't use another high pick on a WR.

I hope I'm wrong on that one too.

Nah, they know they missed on Quick, at least as a true #1 wr goes. No way no how do they go in to next season thinking he's their #1, let alone think Givens is the #2.

Fisher has stated "we need to score more points" and he's seen his good run game...and his run game COMPLETED stopped vs all 3 NFC west teams at their places, he knows he is missing a #1 wr to make this train run, and he knows Watkins is that guy.

Lesson

Oh, really?
If there's a QB needy team out there, I think they will definitely have the opportunity to trade with the Rams at 2. I think this draft is deeper than last year's and 2012's. Like last year, though, there doesn't seem to be that one QB who has established himself yet as the clear the #1 QB. That could change with the combine and pro days, however. If I had to take a guess, Bridgewater and Bortles would be the top 2 QBs going into the draft, but I could be completely wrong.

RFIP

I guess it comes down to what is deemed adequate compensation. We all know it won't be RG3 compensation. What about the traditional "draft value chart" compensation? Will that be enough? Will Snisher think that's enough?

To me this years trade down is simple. Do they want Matthews or Clowney? I say NO, they do not want either.

Who do they want? I say Watkins is the target.

Assuming my assumptions are correct, they take the best trade down that still keeps Watkins in their wheel house (dropping between 4-6 is my best guess as of today).

In a worse case scenario they'll get a second rounder and another pick at least though I can easily see them picking up another 1 too.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I wonder how this year's group of QB's grades out compared to last year's? EJ Manual and Geno Smith sure don't look too promising in retrospect but as little as I scout college players, it was even less with QB's last year since the Rams weren't even going to sniff the position. What was the buzz on them or anyone else compared to this year? I know Bridgewater's getting some relatively positive press and will likely go much earlier than last year's QB's but what about the rest? Are they about the same as last year?