L Taylor puts JJ Watt among top defensive players ever

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-watt-in-top-four-all-time-defensive-players/

In only five seasons, Texans defensive end J.J. Watt already has won as many NFL defensive player of the year awards as former Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor did in his entire career. And Taylor has very high praise for the man who still has plenty of time to win a fourth one — and more.

Taylor has Watt in the top four defensive players of all time.

“In front of me I see guys like Reggie White [and] Deacon Jones,” Taylor said Saturday at a Houston-area appearance, via John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. “Do I put J.J. in front of me? No, but the guy is a phenomenal player. He can go down as one of the best players to ever play his position. . . . Every time I watch film on him or I see a game he’s playing in, the first thing that comes to my mind is this guy can go all day.”

Taylor sees two glaring omissions from Watt’s record: A league MVP award and a Super Bowl title. Taylor has both.

One thing Taylor never got was an astronomical payday, like the one new Giants defensive Olivier Vernon recently scored.

“It’s amazing how the game has changed,” Taylor said. “One of the reasons I guess a lot of the guys that played in my era don’t watch football anymore is simply because it’s like what we could have done and what we could have made, and it hurts a little bit. . . . If I played now, it would be ‘Taylor and Giants Stadium.’ They would have to give me part-ownership.”

Actually, if Taylor played today he’d be more like Von Miller — who like Taylor was the second pick in the draft. Under the rookie wage scale that came into being during Miller’s rookie year, players selected high in the process have a hard time getting paid true market value.

Between Taylor and Watt, Watt is the one who should have a problem with that, because Watt is the one whom the next compensation structure is currently screwing.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
And if Taylor had put his money into the stock market instead of up his nose he could afford part of a team by now.:rolleyes:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“It’s amazing how the game has changed,” Taylor said. “One of the reasons I guess a lot of the guys that played in my era don’t watch football anymore is simply because it’s like what we could have done and what we could have made, and it hurts a little bit. . . .
I'll bet it does. How do you think Jim Everett feels about Brock Osweiler getting a $72m contract?
I'd be like, "The fuck is that all about? Dude played half a season!"

Read this for some perspective. 15 years ago.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...base-salaries-nfl-quarterbacks-million-salary

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and Aaron Donald is better than them all!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah. Times sure have changed.

No wonder guys are retiring earlier. I suspect that trend we will see more and more.

I think so too. When you have 20-50 MIL in hand after taxes it's easy to walk away.