L.a. Land Purchase Raises Stakes In Rams Stadium Talks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
People forget; Stan is a Missouri man. He's ridiculously wealthy. While I'm sure he's actively working to build the value of the Rams, he doesn't need the Rams or LA to be rich.

That's what makes him a very different owner than some. It's a VERY good bet he values his Missouri roots and his word to keep them in STL.

So, for me; yawn.

Let this process play out.
Just for the record John Shaw was a California Man and he moved the Rams to St. Louis and kept his office in Los Angeles.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
My thinking is that the CVC will pony up 200 mil toward a new stadium. NFL gives a loan/grant and Stan pays the rest with no strings attached by CVC.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just for the record John Shaw was a California Man and he moved the Rams to St. Louis and kept his office in Los Angeles.

And the Rams were his and Georgia's source of wealth.

The Rams aren't what makes Kroenke rich.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams aren't what makes Kroenke rich.

However, moving them to Los Angeles would make his 700 Million Dollar investment become worth one billion over night and if he builds the stadium some of the revenue of future Super Bowls would be all his. Now I don't care one way or another, but if the city of St. Louis does not step up and they tell Kroenke to build his own stadium IMO he builds it where the most revenue can be generated.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
As I see it ... 60 acres of land in the Hollywood Park area is not enough for a stadium the likes of what Stan wants. Sounds more like a Wal-Mart and strip mall or Sam's Club site to me.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As I see it ... 60 acres of land in the Hollywood Park area is not enough for a stadium the likes of what Stan wants. Sounds more like a Wal-Mart and strip mall or Sam's Club site to me.

The new Stadium for the 49ers in Santa Clara is on 40 acres, but I agree and I am sure Stan would purchase more if needed and the city of Inglewood stopped Wal-Mart from building and thus is why they sold the land to Kroenke so it's not for that purpose.

fearsomefour

Legend
These guys are business men. The first thing I think when a team, not just the Rams but anyteam, moves to LA from say, St. Louis, Jacksonville, Oakland, is how much the value of the franchise will increase.
It is a no lose for Stan....use it for leverage, win. Build a stadium and increase the value of the franchise, win. Get a nice stadium upgrade and stay in St. Louis and build another shopping center, win.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
City blocked them building and that is why the land was for sale and they sold it to Kroenke.
Ok ... but it still seems like a small plot in that area for an NFL stadium ..... I mean .. parking would be limited if memory serves me... no? My Dad is buried in the cemetary across from the forum ... been awhile since I have been down there...

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Den,

Was John Shaw's mother-in-law a rabid Rams fan?

As a resident of California it really doesn't matter to me if they stay or leave. However to dismiss the possibility of the Rams returning to Los Angeles is foolish. If Rams were to stay in St. Louis a deal would have been made long ago. Leverage only works so far, and St. Louis already made it clear they will not fork up the lions share of building a billion dollar stadium. Most likely they'll give in at the end, and Kroenke will have his stadium built in St. Louis...but it's possible he could barter a better deal in LA. Question is will St Lousians remain fans if the Rams pack up and leave? I'll still be a fan if they stayed.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is some info about the Glendale Stadium in Phoenix only because I'm familiar with it and it seems to occupy a huge parcel of land. The 25 acres surrounding the stadium is called Sportsman's Park. Included within the Park is an 8-acre landscaped tailgating area called the Great Lawn.

60 acres should be plenty for a stadium and then utilize the Forum parking lot as well if they need additional parking.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Here is some info about the Glendale Stadium in Phoenix only because I'm familiar with it and it seems to occupy a huge parcel of land. The 25 acres surrounding the stadium is called Sportsman's Park. Included within the Park is an 8-acre landscaped tailgating area called the Great Lawn.

60 acres should be plenty for a stadium and then utilize the Forum parking lot as well if they need additional parking.
Agreed. On it's own, the size of the land isn't an issue. Perhaps the shape of the land or the location but not the acreage. The timing of all of this is what's most curious IMO. I think it's also noteworthy that Stan had to outbid other groups to "win" this land. He didn't get it on the cheap or strictly because of who he knew. He wanted it. Otherwise, why didn't they just keep it in the family and let Walmart continue to own it?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Den,

Was John Shaw's mother-in-law a rabid Rams fan?
Seriously who would marry John Shaw? I'm not sure, but Truman's mother-in-law loved Douglas MacArthur and he fired him anyway...I don't think that makes much of a difference, it's just business.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Seriously who would marry John Shaw? I'm not sure, but Truman's mother-in-law loved Douglas MacArthur and he fired him anyway...I don't think that makes much of a difference, it's just business.

Den,

That was more tongue-in-cheek/humor on my part. I didn't use smilies. I brought it up because a few years back I heard it reported on local radio. I believe it was RK. Said that Stan's mother-in-law was a rabid Rams fan. She was at every home game and even dyed her hair Blue IIRC. :cool: