Kyle Turley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Some excerpts from this long article about Kyle Turley's time with the Rams and his dealings with Jay Zygmunt and Mike Martz. To read the whole article click the link below.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/19/k...-wife-stacy-harris-mike-martz-concussions-cte

The Ugly End of an All-Pro Career, the Uglier Start of a Life After Football
By ANDY BENOIT

Simon Bruty

Turley, nearing the end of his rookie contract, had been a negotiating a long-term deal with the Saints. But when GM Randy Mueller was fired and Mickey Loomis took over, things changed—Loomis and head coach Jim Haslett put Turley on the trading block. Just days after he and Stacy were married, he was dealt to St. Louis for a second-round pick.

As part of the trade, he received a new five-year, $26 million deal, with $12 million guaranteed. The money was helpful—much of his first contract’s earnings had been spent on lawyers and private investigators from his first marriage.

A rival of the Rams while with the Saints, Turley had been leery of their head coach, Mike Martz. The magnitude of the trade left him encouraged for their relationship, but he later came to believe that it was actually Rams GM Jay Zygmunt who pushed for his acquisition.

Martz’s system demanded a lot of offensive tackles. Turley played well that first year, 2003, but in Week 7 against Green Bay, he was knocked out with a concussion. The FOX announcers remarked that even the smelling salts weren’t waking him. Stacy says she had been instructed to take Kyle home after the game.

In the tunnel she came across Packers defensive end Joe Johnson, who played with Turley in New Orleans. “Stacy, KT is really f---ed up,” Johnson said. “Take him to a hospital!” Panicked, Stacy found a stadium police officer to drive them, sirens on.

A scan revealed dark masses on Turley’s brain. Doctors shrugged. That’s just what you get with football players. Two days later Turley was back at practice. To make sure he was O.K., the Rams had him sustain bull rushes from defensive end Leonard Little. “Just to see if I could stay conscious,” Turley says. “That was the test back then.” He didn’t miss a game.

Stacy would come to look back on her husband’s brain scan through a very different light, but at the time, she was more worried about the rest of his body. Besides football’s usual wear and tear, he had a back problem that sent pain down his leg.

Turley was prescribed a litany of medications—painkillers, muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatories, sleep aides, etc.—and finished out the season. St. Louis went 12-4 but lost to Carolina in the divisional round.

Simon Bruty

Two weeks later Kyle was off most of the medications. One day Stacy heard him shouting from the bathroom, panicking at the site of his atrophied right buttocks, hanging down by his hamstring like a deflated balloon. He had back surgery, and suddenly his mission shifted from chasing Pro Bowls to just getting healthy.

It became a grueling journey, with a few ups but mostly debilitating downs. He was with his teammates often in 2004 but never got on the field. His rehab remained arduous. When asked about Turley at a press conference, Martz said he didn’t know if Turley even wanted to play football. Kyle and Stacy were furious.

Soon after, Turley met with Martz. Turley claims the head coach accused him of coming to St. Louis to take the money and run. Turley became volatile, said his piece and stormed out. Before he got home, Stacy got a call from her dad. “What did Kyle do?!” he asked.

That’s how she learned her husband’s name was ticking across the bottom of ESPN screens, with a report saying he had threatened his head coach’s life. (Kyle and Stacy refute this, saying that Turley had immediately told Zygmunt of their argument. They believe the only way the story could have gotten out so quickly was by Martz taking it to the media himself.)

Martz remembers it differently. “I never accused him of taking the money and running,” he said when reached by phone. Martz said he and Zygmunt were not communicating well. “There was a certain dishonesty that was in the front office that I had to deal with for a number of years,” As Martz tells it, “Kyle did a great job for us and then he got injured.

After that, he just disappeared. I couldn’t get any information when he was coming back. Couldn’t find him anywhere. Couldn’t reach him. When I asked Jay [Zygmunt] about it, he said he didn’t know either. The obvious part to that is Jay knew exactly what was going on [with Kyle]. I just couldn’t know.

“Kyle was upset with me because he assumed I knew what was going on with him and I didn’t. He accused me of not caring, all those things. I’m looking at him thinking, ‘What is this all about?’ I just let him vent, which everybody in the whole building heard.”

That was the last time Martz ever saw Turley. Even after the ugly episode, Turley was jolted when then Rams cut him after the 2004 season. He’d been working so hard to get healthy. As an NFLPA rep, having negotiated on various league matters, he’d grown to suspect that the NFL was strictly a cutthroat business, that players were just commodities.

Now that was confirmed. The realization did not strike Turley lightly; he is a deep, passionate thinker. Battered and disillusioned, he was 29 and already facing a post-football life.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good read. It makes you cringe about checking a condition of a concussed player by seeing if he could stop a Leonard Little bullrush. I was never a big Turley fan, but this changes my mind somewhat, about those times...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Mad Mike was a bit arrogant and kind of a dick I am sure. But I do believe the dysfunction in the organization at that time was the same as it had been since Georgia took charge: Shaw & Ziggy. Those two guys were dip$#!Ts IMO and I do believe played all manner of games with their coaches.

So glad they're gone. Bad front offices hire bad coaches and also chase good coaches out for dumb reasons. They were among the worst of the bad front offices, only saved from being the losingest organization in the 90s thanks to 13 wins in 1999. Some dark days man, hate to even read that story.

El caliente

Rookie
Name
Andrew
One of those is not like the others Haha. Joe Vitt was a good dude from all accounts.
Good dude, crap coach. So glad he isn’t with the Saints any more.

I loved Kyle Turley. Growing up Mormon in New Orleans you are very much in the minority, but Kyle was my early morning seminary teacher for a year before his schedule couldn’t handle it. But he was a great teacher, and he made the classes entertaining.

He was a great guy, and he gave me one of his game jersey’s which I wore to the Rams vs Saints playoff game in the Superdome where Hakim dropped the ball and Milne recovered it.

It stinks that Kyle’s mind is leaving him, but his troubles started way earlier in his career. He was married like a year after he was drafted, and his wife and my SIL were very tight, but his wife was a gold digger. They were married long enough (like 2 years) for her to take all of his money, and hang child custody over his head. Poor guy got screwed early on. That is where his mental problems started as he wasn’t the same guy after that. He had trust issues. It sucks when you see people lose part of themselves, and they never recover.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So glad they're gone. Bad front offices hire bad coaches and also chase good coaches out for dumb reasons. They were among the worst of the bad front offices, only saved from being the losingest organization in the 90s thanks to 13 wins in 1999. Some dark days man, hate to even read that story.

Proving the proverb that even a broken clock is right twice a day summed up John Shaw in 1999...First it was Shaw that brought Vermeil to St. Louis in 1997, but in 1999 convinced Vermeil that he had to go outside the organization for his Offensive Coordinator hire being Vermeil wanted to give the job to Mike White, but Shaw convinced Vermeil to hire Mike Martz and it was Shaw that was responsible for the Marshall Faulk trade so thirty years that John Shaw oversaw the Rams, he was right three times in thirty years.

Keep in mind after the death of Carroll Rosenbloom the reason that he left the team to his wife is because back then there was a loophole in the inheritance tax, in which, if you left everything to the spouse, they were not taxed. That's why CR did that and the plan was for his son Steve Rosenbloom to run the Rams, Steve had been involved in all levels of the organization as his dad got him ready to run the team someday. But John Shaw got in Georgia's ear and convinced her to take over the team and fire her stepson and she did it. IMO, Shaw was the devil, but I have to give the devil his due in 1999...As for Jay Zygmunt, he was like an appendix, apparently useless and if I ever run into Jay, I going to punch him right in his big fat face.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Proving the proverb that even a broken clock is right twice a day summed up John Shaw in 1999...First it was Shaw that brought Vermeil to St. Louis in 1997, but in 1999 convinced Vermeil that he had to go outside the organization for his Offensive Coordinator hire being Vermeil wanted to give the job to Mike White, but Shaw convinced Vermeil to hire Mike Martz and it was Shaw that was responsible for the Marshall Faulk trade so thirty years that John Shaw oversaw the Rams, he was right three times in thirty years.

Keep in mind after the death of Carroll Rosenbloom the reason that he left the team to his wife is because back then there was a loophole in the inheritance tax, in which, if you left everything to the spouse, they were not taxed. That's why CR did that and the plan was for his son Steve Rosenbloom to run the Rams, Steve had been involved in all levels of the organization as his dad got him ready to run the team someday. But John Shaw got in Georgia's ear and convinced her to take over the team and fire her stepson and she did it. IMO, Shaw was the devil, but I have to give the devil his due in 1999...As for Jay Zygmunt, he was like an appendix, apparently useless and if I ever run into Jay, I going to punch him right in his big fat face.
Jay sounds so Air Force to me...former flyboy maybe?:hiding:

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Stuff like this is so scary. The game has changed so much but you still have to think current players read stuff like this and get anxious.