Kyle shannahan didn't believe in Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Who knows if true but Shanny has never done anything to shake off the report that he is kind of an entitled jack ass. Not sure if it's because he thinks he's all that because he's his fathers son or what but something about his face makes me believe he's a bitch.

Having said that, he's got a guaranteed two games a year chance to prove himself right against the Rams. Some how we're never short head coaches in the NFC West who inexplicably hate us.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
More likely loves the 2017 pick in the first.

On the Kaep note, think he had 16 tds....4 ints....2400+ passing yards....fwiw

A new HC could get a lot worse than Kaepernick. Ever since the anthem protest people have been looking for any reason to put down on Kaepernick but he actually played well for most of the year. He's just on a dumpster fire of a team. Keep in mind that that dumpster fire swept us this year.

Yeah I wasn't really comparing stats. Just the general idea of the two QBs. Would you want the good character kid with massive potential, or the douchebag that's basically at his ceiling? I think it's a no brainer. Unless your name is Kyle Shanahan apparently.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I wasn't really comparing stats. Just the general idea of the two QBs. Would you want the good character kid with massive potential, or the douchebag that's basically at his ceiling? I think it's a no brainer. Unless your name is Kyle Shanahan apparently.
What's wrong with Kap Character?
He must not see Goff potential

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
This feels like Jason Cole taking liberties again... Where did this bloodhound track down his story? My guess is he heard people speculating about it, and took that as enough of a "source" to spin out his little hot take.

IF true, it only confirms we made the right choice.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's going to be fun watching Goff beat the Whiners, twice a year, for the next 15 years.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Here's my take FWIW, Rams liked Shanahan, however, they consulted others in the process including Jon Gruden who recommended McVay over Shanahan and when the Rams set up interviews McVay was more available because Shanahan could only interview on the weekend so the Rams set that up for last which actually made sense if he was one of the favorites.

They truly could not get to the interview because of weather tried to reschedule, but there was no guarantee the NFL would allow the interview, they would have had to get permission from the NFL because you cannot interview assistants when they have a game that week.

In the end the Rams moved on McVay because they truly liked him and would have lost out on the opportunity to hire DC Wade Phillips had they waited on getting approval to interview Kyle Shanahan, so they pulled the trigger on McVay.

The rest of the story is just politics IMHO and conjecture on Cole's part, if we have learned nothing else in 2016, it's that the media has their own agenda and sometimes they just put stuff out there that is false and yellow journalism at it's finest which is now just business as usual.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
How did Sean McVay leapfrog Kyle Shanahan in head coaching line?
January 24, 2017 7:56 PM By Chris Lingebach

WASHINGTON — A funny occurrence took place when Sean McVay was hired to coach the LA Rams.

Beyond just becoming the youngest head coach in the Super Bowl era, the 31-year-old leapfrogged his predecessor, Kyle Shanahan, in line to become a head coach. Now, as it turns out, the 37-year-old Shanahan, too, is expected to land a head coaching gig, but it still remains somewhat remarkable nevertheless, and begs the question: How?

Former NFL offensive lineman Will Montgomery — whose time in Washington overlapped with McVay, then a tight ends coach, and Shanahan, Redskins offensive coordinator from 2010 to 2013 — has a theory.

“He definitely is cocky, and as a player you kind of like that cockiness,” Montgomery told Chad Dukes on 106.7 The Fan. “Maybe a little bit of that cockiness rubbed off on some owners the wrong way and maybe that’s why he hasn’t become a head coach earlier. But I think that he will do a really good job, he’s very well prepared. He leaves no stone unturned and I’m a big fan of Kyle Shanahan.”

Montgomery cited one specific example of Shanahan’s brash behavior from the Redskins’ 2012 division championship season. Between a pair of rookies named Robert Griffin III, who would win Offensive Rookie of the Year, and Alfred Morris, who would break the franchise record with 1,613 rushing yards, the Redskins led the NFL in total rushing yards (2,709) that season.

“I remember after the ’12 season, you know when Alfred Morris was the second leading rusher, and obviously everybody else was having really good years that year as well, [Kyle Shanahan] was just saying, ‘Who are the Hogs? We’re the Hogs! We have the most rushing yards of any Redskins offensive line in team history. We’re the Hogs!'” Montgomery recalled.

“Which, that was interesting that he came out and said that to us in that meeting room,” he said.

“He just looked at the rushing yardage totals for the whole season and we shattered all the rushing yards records that year, in 2012, and everybody likes to compare every offensive line to the Hogs,” Montgomery elaborated. “I mean they obviously won the Super Bowls. And I grew up watching the Hogs play myself, so I’m a big fan of the original Hogs — Joe Jacoby and Russ Grimm and all those other guys I think are excellent players.”

“Just, obviously Kyle, in the heat of the moment, was like, ‘We’re the Hogs. The Hogs didn’t have as many rushing yards as we have right now,'” he said. “Which at the time, obviously boosts your ego and makes you think you are somebody.”

Montgomery described McVay as possessing a more “cool, calm” presence: “I think he’ll probably deal with the media a little bit better.”

Coincidentally enough, Montgomery followed another up-and-coming coordinator from Denver to Chicago in his final two NFL seasons.

“Even the last couple years, when I was with Denver and with the Bears, the offensive coordinator at the time was Adam Gase,” he said. “And he had a little friendly competition going with Kyle Shanahan, kind of who was going to be the next up-and-coming head coach.

“And he’s like, ‘Monty, whose offense do you like better, mine or Kyle Shanahan’s?’

“And I was like, ‘Well, I’m here now, so I like your offense better.’ He’s like, ‘Good answer. Good answer.'”

Gase won that friendly rivalry. He just wrapped up his debut season as a head coach, leading the Dolphins to the playoffs for the first time in eight years with a 10-6 record.

Montgomery had a tough go of predicting who, between McVay or Shanahan, will be the more successful head coach.

“I do like Kyle Shanahan a lot,” he said. “McVay learned under Kyle Shanahan as well, so McVay is really a protege of the Shanahans, and so it’s like kind of ironic that he got the head coaching gig first, although it looks like he’s just gonna beat Kyle by about a couple weeks.”

“I think they’ll both be successful, really,” he said. “I mean, you even look at this year with Sean McVay, the Redskins offense put up crazy numbers; you look at this year with the Atlanta Falcons, they put up crazy numbers. So offense is very sexy in the NFL these days.”

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/01/ ... hing-line/
" ]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams passed on interviewing one of McVay’s mentors – former Washington offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, who now holds that same position with the Atlanta Falcons.

But Shanahan’s situation was complicated. His interview with Los Angeles last weekend was canceled when the Rams’ front office was stuck in Boston thanks to heavy snow. They were there to interview New England Patriots assistant coaches Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels.

Shanahan still had a game to prepare for this Saturday. His Falcons play the Seattle Seahawks in an NFC divisional playoff and Shanahan told reporters there on Wednesday that he didn’t know when his Rams interview would be rescheduled. Now it won’t be, which is an interesting twist given his history with McVay. Shanahan himself is still just 37.

It became clear that the Rams saw McVay as a viable candidate and were worried about the 49ers poaching him instead. Maybe Shanahan ends up in San Francisco and in the same division as McVay. He interviewed with the 49ers on Jan. 2. McVay interviewed there on Jan. 5.

Ultimately, Los Angeles has to sell its fledgling fan base on a soon-to-be 31-year-old coach who – let’s be honest – hasn’t taken his team deep into the playoffs or to a Super Bowl. That’s not a prerequisite for a hiring, but such accomplishments help when trying to alleviate worries about inexperience.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/01/ ... ean-mcvay/

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Jared Goff Can't Be Worse Than Case Keenum … Right? I can't get past how inaccurate he was. I'm pretty down on him. Maybe he'll grow into it, but not encouraging so far.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Lol he threw a hissy fit because we interview someone else first? Sounds like he's the whiny little baby that people reported he was

Why would you accept that as if it were provable fact?

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This feels like Jason Cole taking liberties again... Where did this bloodhound track down his story? My guess is he heard people speculating about it, and took that as enough of a "source" to spin out his little hot take.

IF true, it only confirms we made the right choice.
I think its true because abright is usually right and he said correct

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Jason Cole should be banned from this site. Seriously.

First off the Rams couldn't even interview Shanahan before McVay because of the NFLs rules.

So I am supposed to believe the least accurate reporter in the NFL knew more about what Shanahan thought about Goff, when the Rams dont even know because they didn't interview him.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think its true because abright is usually right and he said correct

I'd venture it's a little of column A and a little of column B... In the original tweet the poster asks a third party, Josh Thompson, host of TurfShowTimes who was correct, Albright or Cole (Cole was saying that Shanahan didn't like SK or Goff and Albright said that wasn't true.

Cole then added that he was upset about not being interviewed first, to which Albright said "correct."

Which would lead me to believe that the Goff and Kroenke thing was bullshit, which is why Albright originally disagreed with Cole.

Josh Thompson of TurfShowTImes then followed up with Albright and got this:

“[Shanahan was] not ‘offended per se, he just wanted to go somewhere where he felt like ‘the guy.’ The Rams didn’t want to wait on Kyle, and assembling his staff. McVay convinced them with the staff he said he could bring in.”

Which tells me that it was more about Shanahan being upset that the Rams didn't want to wait on him (which is a smart move by the Rams, obviously), as well as Shanahan wanting to be "the guy" as in he wanted control. Which is what the 49ers gave him.

My guess is maybe Kyle wasn't convinced on Goff, but that certainly wouldn't be the deciding factor given that the 49ers have NOTHING at QB. So what was the bigger issue is that Kyle wanted to be the HNIC, and Demoff/Kroenke told him to pound sand because they have other options who want to be part of the team, which is what McVay wanted to do. I think that the players will respect that more as well. I know that I always respected leaders who made sure that they were part of the team and not just simply the guy barking out orders.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
At this point; I'd rather believe it to be true. It's going be fun playing Shannahan if he ends up in SF.