Kurt Warner: "The Patriots outplayed us and deserved to be Super Bowl champs"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Kurt has become a politician now that he works for the NFL. I assure you Kurt well knows what went down that Sunday and I've even heard him say as much years ago. Seems time has healed old wounds for some and some just keep letting the scar harden their hearts more. It will make you physically sick if you don't let it go sometimes. Kurt really just spoke in a circle without saying anything concrete. It was quite nebulous thus my politician comment. Govenor Warner of Arizona sounds about right to me. No One can take away WORLD CHAMPION RAMS 1999-2000 Warner QB & game MVP along with Season MVP. its overdue to retire his number 13 also. I mean we were late with Deacon lets not let that happen again. The cards already have Warner in Ring Of Honor . He should be in the new Riverside stadium ring of Honor also. Its gonna be an awesome stadium to play in. I'll be at that game if alive for shore.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

kurt has always said he wonders if somethnig happened, but always blames it on the reports.

he's too classy to come out and say - those cheating fucks rorted us with the help of those freaked up officials who let countless personal fouls and holds by those fuckwits slide so they kept illegally hitting and holding. it was the biggest fix in the history of sports.

Fact: There were zero Personal foul calls in SB36. Look it up. That's on the head ref, Bernie Kukar, who was responsible for roughing penalties on the QB. Not to mention that it was certainly not the safe way to call a game. The Patriots Defense clearly were aware what was going on, and took advantage.

Btw, I have no doubt that if the Rams' Defense had spent their time being thuggish, the refs would have flagged them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I guess I have to decide which Kurt Warner comments and body language I want to believe. I remember Marshall and Kurt talking about SpyGate, with Faulk saying that it seemed "they knew what was coming"..Meaning, The Patriots D knew the plays,Marshall said...Kurt wasn't very verbal, but he seemed through nods and body language that he agreed with Faulk.

Sorry Kurt, I'll believe this version of Super Bowl 36

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I don't care what my ex-wife says post-facto, I feel the same way about what anybody says about a football game from well over 10 years ago...Guess many don't agree, but I have enough in the present to keep my emotions occupied...

Moostache

Rookie
Do I believe the Patriots videotaped the Rams and gained at least a small illegal advantage? Absolutely!

Do I believe that is why they won? No, not at all.

New England cheated ON THE FIELD with illegal contact, defensive holding, cheap shots and more. The officiating was clearly complicit in this all game - with the exception of the one time they called it (at 17-3, when Warner fumbled and the Pats ran it back for what looked to be the game sealing turn over before McGinnis was called for literally tackling Faulk on a pass route....which had been happening all day long in the Patriots secondary)...

St. Louis was also cursed with Mike Martz's pride in the first 3 quarters of the game. When the Patriots were in 7 and 8 DB formations much of the time, he kept on throwing the ball. Instead of adapting the game plan and using a HOF RB behind a HOF LT and against undersized defenders to punish them for that choice, the Rams kept on trying to run the 18-yard dig routes and throws into windows that were not opening due to the tactics employed by the Patriots.

They did the same thing to the Colts and Manning a couple years later and got away with it then too (albeit at a home playoff game instead of the Super Bowl).
The Patriots cheated in any and every way they could get away with...my concern remains why the NFL allowed it and covered it up instead of investigating it. Will always bother me...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Not really understanding all the extreme hate here. We've seen him and his teammates from that 2001 Super Bowl talk about it before. He's never going to come out and say they cheated. Some of you need to drink a big glass of calm down juice.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Once Kurt started showing that his blood was no longer blue and gold... I started looking at him like a HOT ex-girlfriend.

I even gave my authentic Puma Warner jersey to my son when he started proclaiming his love for the desert rats.

See ya.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree with Warner.

The Rams didn't get outplayed...

But I do agree that the taping wasn't the reason they lost that SB....

Simply put, they got out coached, IMO... and the refs didn't help matters.

But, ultimately, the game was winnable by the Rams.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do I believe the Patriots videotaped the Rams and gained at least a small illegal advantage? Absolutely!

Do I believe that is why they won? No, not at all.

New England cheated ON THE FIELD with illegal contact, defensive holding, cheap shots and more. The officiating was clearly complicit in this all game - with the exception of the one time they called it (at 17-3, when Warner fumbled and the Pats ran it back for what looked to be the game sealing turn over before McGinnis was called for literally tackling Faulk on a pass route....which had been happening all day long in the Patriots secondary)...

St. Louis was also cursed with Mike Martz's pride in the first 3 quarters of the game. When the Patriots were in 7 and 8 DB formations much of the time, he kept on throwing the ball. Instead of adapting the game plan and using a HOF RB behind a HOF LT and against undersized defenders to punish them for that choice, the Rams kept on trying to run the 18-yard dig routes and throws into windows that were not opening due to the tactics employed by the Patriots.

They did the same thing to the Colts and Manning a couple years later and got away with it then too (albeit at a home playoff game instead of the Super Bowl).
The Patriots cheated in any and every way they could get away with...my concern remains why the NFL allowed it and covered it up instead of investigating it. Will always bother me...

Excellent summation! (y)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Everyone, everyone.

Any diplomacy or lack thereof by former players is pretty simple, really.

Faulk? Tells it like he sees it. Honest to the edge of being brutal.

Warner and Holt? Diplomatic and deferential. Try do see both sides. Really not trying to make any waves or offend anyone.

Anyone see the pattern? Anyone?

Faulk: HoFer

Warner and Holt: Not HoFers (yet). They're still waiting and why screw it up by opening their mouths on a current controversy. All it takes is to not get voted in during a good window and bam! a new wave of eligibles comes along and can push a player down the list for years when they should have been voted in early on.

Now, I don't think either Warner or Holt will particularly change their tune after they get their gold jackets, but I do think that they won't have to feel compelled to "do the dance" every time they're asked the question like they do now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Everyone, everyone.

Any diplomacy or lack thereof by former players is pretty simple, really.

Faulk? Tells it like he sees it. Honest to the edge of being brutal.

Warner and Holt? Diplomatic and deferential. Try do see both sides. Really not trying to make any waves or offend anyone.

Anyone see the pattern? Anyone?

Faulk: HoFer

Warner and Holt: Not HoFers (yet). They're still waiting and why screw it up by opening their mouths on a current controversy. All it takes is to not get voted in during a good window and bam! a new wave of eligibles comes along and can push a player down the list for years when they should have been voted in early on.

Now, I don't think either Warner or Holt will particularly change their tune after they get their gold jackets, but I do think that they won't have to feel compelled to "do the dance" every time they're asked the question like they do now.
That's a fresh take.
Interesting.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
After, outplayed and deserved, I stopped, sacrifice me, Mr. Warner. 'You' know what truly happened, our ROD friend... End it already!!!! Bury Me in Smoke, JMHO.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I no longer want to see Kurt's #13 retired in his Honor!!
Lost respect for the guy,i don't know why he would say something like that when the entire civilized world aside from Patriots nation saw what happened.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Conspiracy theory comin'....

There was no way...absolutely no way that a team NOT named the Patriots was going to win the Superbowl THAT season. Now where is my tinfoil hat......

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't believe in the 9-11 / Patriots conspiracy theory.

But; I do believe the video taping of the walk through had an impact on the game and was cheating.

The officials called a very loose game, but that happens a lot in Superbowls.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
There was no way...absolutely no way that a team NOT named the Patriots was going to win the Superbowl THAT season.

I don't believe in the 9-11 / Patriots conspiracy theory.

Bono at the half-time show of that Super Bowl.

HTx01xO.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Bono at the half-time show of that Super Bowl.

HTx01xO.jpg

I definitely remember the patriotic vibe that game, but also throughout the country months after 911.

I just don't believe it had anything to do with winning or losing a football game.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I definitely remember the patriotic vibe that game, but also throughout the country months after 911.

I just don't believe it had anything to do with winning or losing a football game.

As you know, football is a game of inches, a good call or bad call by the refs can make all the difference between a win and a loss. If that game had been a blowout by the Patriots, I would agree.

But all I remember is screaming at the TV because Marshall Faulk was being held constantly, and on several plays even sat on. Yet there were no refs to put a stop to this. Why not? It was blatant. I've watched that game many times and have come to the conclusion that the fix was in, either consciously or sub-consciously.

That game was the end of the GSOT era and the beginning of the many years of suckiness that we've had to endure since as Rams fans. It still sticks in my craw even to this day and always will.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just found this:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...icious-patriots-deflategate-article-1.2094128
"I don't want to believe that there was anything outside of his team beat our team," Warner said at Media Day on Tuesday. "That's what I want to believe. Yeah, there's a sliver of a doubt… Was there any advantage they gained in any game? Not just our Super Bowl game, but maybe a game before that to get to the Super Bowl. All those things enter your mind. It's not because I'm bitter. It's not because I say they cheated, because I have no idea."

Warner took a diplomatic stance Tuesday, but made it clear that he still believes that something might have been amiss in the Louisiana Superdome that night.

"It adds a sliver of doubt, which I think is unfair to everybody," Warner said. "It's unfair to them and their legacy. It's unfair to me and my legacy. I don't want to have to wonder, 'Well, did they beat me fair and square or was there something extra?' That's the unfortunate part that I don't think you'll ever get over, because you know something was done outside the rules. I have no idea how it helped them. I don't know if it gave them an advantage on one play that turned into an interception or touchdown. Or gave them no advantage. I don't know."

"I try to fight against," Warner added. "We're never going to know, but it's unfortunate that I even have to consider it."

I doubt Warner's opinion has changed from that. In fact, his quotes in the OP are worded similarly. He's trying to be diplomatic about it but you can tell he's not satisfied. I think you guys are being a bit too tough on Warner.