Kurt Warner: "Teddy Bridgewater is the best QB in the Draft"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...ewater-manzeil-pro-day-stock-rise-fall-mayock
Pro days are now getting a bad reputation — the weight they're being given in draft evaluations, that is. Count Kurt Warner among those who isn't a fan of this trend. Last week he knocked the latest rumors about Teddy Bridgewater, and a few weeks before that told Sporting News that Johnny Manziel was good enough without his pro-day hype.

On NFL Network last Wednesday, Warner chided the gradual drop in Bridgewater's stock since the Louisville quarterback's March 17 pro day, which was universally graded as subpar. Mike Mayock, Warner's NFL Network colleague Mike Mayock gave the Bridgewater downgrade more momentum when he told a radio station that he now thought Bridgewater wouldn't even go in the first round, and that his pro day "made me question everything I saw on tape because this was live.”

MORE: Latest mock draft | Manziel going No. 2?

Warner said he wasn't buying that.

"I see and understand those questions Mike was talking about there,'' he said, "but the flip side of that is, I just watched more tape on all these guys this morning, and there is no question when you watch the tape, Teddy Bridgewater is the best quarterback in this draft with what he did on the football field.

229705-330-0.jpg
Teddy Bridgewater (AP Photo)
"It's just amazing to me that so many people had him number-one on their board, or maybe a close second to Johnny Manziel, through the whole process. until his pro day. I was there, I saw the struggles, it was disappointing — but again, I go back to the film, and I see what he did week in and week out, and his consistency. And it amazes me that so many teams have dropped him based on what's happened in this pre-draft process.''

Warner also attended Manziel's pro day about two weeks after Bridgewater's — and, likewise, saw his stock rise after a spectacular workout complete with music and celebrity onlookers. Last month, he told Sporting News that while he understood why pro days were part of the evaluation, it wasn't obvious how much they told of what kind of prospect a player was.

"Just the circus that came around was very strange, the atmosphere, everything that surrounded it. It kind of amazes you,'' Warner said. "All these guys are doing is throwing against air. I think I can go out there and throw against air. You kind of sit back and say, 'Wow, this is what it's become.'''

Yet he believed that Manziel had an "it" factor — though it was one that he said was clear on game film and was only enhanced by the pro day. "All the elements of his game were there that you had seen when he played, just in a different environment. If he wanted to show a certain side to him, present himself in a certain way, then he accomplished that, and that's what pro days do. But the film showed all of that already,

"But,'' Warner added, "it's the NFL we live in today. You smile at it. You know it's good for the game.''

I wholeheartedly agree with Warner.

RamsFan14

Starter
That's ironic Warner says he's the best one in the draft, I'm not saying Bridgewater is Kurt Warner... But Bridgewaters mechanics reminded me of Warners when I started watching him. They aren't the same by any means, just the way Bridgewater releases the football kinda reminded me of Warner and his arm motion (to a degree). Interesting take!

FRO

Legend
I wholeheartedly agree which makes the Manziel rumors even worse.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Warner only likes him because Bridgewater is a Cardinal...

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
All these guys are doing is throwing against air.
Kinda makes me wonder ... Bridgewater decided not to wear the glove. Could that have been because he didn't perceive there was any competition in "throwing against air." Some players require challenge. They need it to perform. Which isn't to say practice doesn't have competition. Players compete against each other to get noticed. But a Pro day? That's like a fluff interview.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's ironic Warner says he's the best one in the draft, I'm not saying Bridgewater is Kurt Warner... But Bridgewaters mechanics reminded me of Warners when I started watching him. They aren't the same by any means, just the way Bridgewater releases the football kinda reminded me of Warner and his arm motion (to a degree). Interesting take!

I can see that. They have a similar release point and are about the same height.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The Dude wants to be known as an Arizona Cardinal. He's dead to me now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Knew that already.

And so does Snead. Which is why you hear nothing about it.
shhh.gif

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm wondering if we might need some different shade of a blue to mean "Kidding! Really! But... reallly, yeah..."

Or just include a picture of Ben Stiller's character from Dodgeball.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm wondering if we might need some different shade of a blue to mean "Kidding! Really! But... reallly, yeah..."

Or just include a picture of Ben Stiller's character from Dodgeball.
Couldn't hurt. I trot out Michael Scott on occasion.

fearsomefour

Legend
Warner is going to put a lot more stock in game and film than a stage pro day. At Manzeils pro day there were a couple of times when he said "what kind of throw is this supposed to be? In a game situation there is a safety there, that is a pic"....or something close to that. In other words you only learn so much from a Pro Day.
GMs fall in love with strange things. Boller went early due to arm strength....no feel for the game. Leinart went early due to success....no arm strength.
Warner knows the QB position and commented on certain guys having little hitches ect. I would trust his word on it as much as any scouts.