Kurt Warner Ranked #1 Backup In NFL History

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Sorry, I have no link, but on a show in NFL network, they have the "top 10" shows. I saw the top ten for "back up quarterback", #10 was Trent Dilfer and they worked their way down to Frank Reich, Don Strock and Earl Morrall. But coming in at #1 was Kurt Warner. He was a back up to Trent Green. He came in and was a starter after Green's injury and won the Super bowl.

He was later traded (stupidly IMO) by the Rams and started for the Giants. He started for a season until they drafted Eli Mamming. Afternoon benching him, Kurt did his best to mentor Eli and even turned down a starting job saying it would ruin Eli's confidence.

Kurt gets traded to the cardinals and is a backup to Mat Leinart, Matt gets hurt and Kurts leaders them to a superbowl that they could have and maybe should have won. For now, Kurt is the #1 back up in the eyes of many. I wonder what may have happened if the Rams had kept him on on the roster?

Zodi

Hall of Fame
He was later traded (stupidly IMO) by the Rams and started for the Giants.

Nah, he was released.

Is it fair to call him a backup tho? He had success with teams where he was the cemented starter... even if he went to said team to be a backup. Meh, technicalities I guess.

Still my favorite Ram of all time.

I think his career would've been worse had he stuck with us, actually. People forget how tough Bulger was. He took hit after hit from 04-07 until he just couldn't anymore. And I doubt the power struggle between Martz and the FO at the time would've been changed by Kurt's presence.

I still remember Martz wanting to pull Bulger in that playoff game against Carolina, and Kurt told him no, if Bulger was his guy, then he needed to stick with him. All time class act.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So Kurt is the #1 backup as well as the #1 qb in nfl history? Nice.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Interesting. I would like to see that list. Earl Morrall and Jim Plunkett were some of the first names that come to mind. Staubach, Bradshaw and Brady started the season as backups the year they won their first Super Bowl.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
#2 backup---Bob Waterfield or Norm Van Brocklin. Two different era's, but I have my doubts Warner was better than either Bob or Norm.

Here's a bit of trivia for you trivia buffs.

Only one NFL team has ever had their starting and backup QB end the season with QB's rated 1-2. Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger ended up with the 2 best QB ratings in 2003 (year that Kurt got his hand stepped on).

But wait, not only have the Rams been the only team to do that, they've done it TWICE!

Norm Van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield back in the Rams championship year of 1951, ended the season with two highest QB ratings.

fearsomefour

Legend
Um, fellow hall of famer Steve Young comes to my mind.
Impossible to believe the Rams FO was that stupid back in the day.
But, they were.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah i don't understand the criteria for backup QB here. I mean, Aaron Rodgers was a backup. Steve Young was mentioned. There are so many.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Um, fellow hall of famer Steve Young comes to my mind.

He's in the discussion for best QB ever IMO.

Yeah he was a 49er, but that guy was a fucking Wizard on the field. For my money he was better than Montana.

I liked watching him play, there are some players I just liked to watch..........some that were so good you just appreciated seeing them do their thing.

:sneak:

Yeah i don't understand the criteria for backup QB here. I mean, Aaron Rodgers was a backup. Steve Young was mentioned. There are so many.

Yeah it's too loose of a topic because many superstar QB's started on the bench. But by any criteria is Dilfer on the list?????

fearsomefour

Legend

Yeah he was a 49er, but that guy was a freaking Wizard on the field. For my money he was better than Montana.

I liked watching him play, there are some players I just liked to watch..........some that were so good you just appreciated seeing them do their thing.

:sneak:

Yeah it's too loose of a topic because many superstar QB's started on the bench. But by any criteria is Dilfer on the list?????
I agree on Young.
Living in the shadow of alleged coke head Joe prevented a lot of people seeing just how great Young was.
I loved watching Young play....and it takes ALOT for me to enjoy any Whiner.
Here is the list:
Young
Roger Craig.....
End of list.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Agreed. In the discussion.
I still say that he was the best dual threat QB ever and its not even very close. Doesn't get mentioned in that context though which is mostly a stereotype thing.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I loved watching Young play....and it takes ALOT for me to enjoy any Whiner.
Here is the list:
Young
End of list.

FIFY hahaha

I was no fan of Craig.

I still say that he was the best dual threat QB ever and its not even very close. Doesn't get mentioned in that context though which is mostly a stereotype thing.

If you remember there used to be rumors that he was the fastest guy on the team. Here is one highlight and he looks like an All World running back. He even gives a LB a stiff-arm hahaha!

Look at him here, running away from everyone with ease.

This is his HOF induction highlight reel. Dude was amazing.