Kurt Warner: Rams could have stayed intact by beating Pats

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
[101]https://soundcloud.com/101sports/kurt-warner-rams-could-have[/101]

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Re: Kurt Warner: Rams could have stayed intact by beating Pa

:balling: :=:) :wahhh:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Now I am very greatful to Mike Martz, but IMO if Dick Vermeil stays on as Head Coach (which he admits he looks back on that decision with great disdain) the Rams win that Super Bowl and maybe one more.

Granted Martz might have left even though the Rams had signed Martz and given him a big raise during the 1999 season to take over when Vermeil retired which whould have been at the end of 2002 (his original contract).

Even if Martz left the Rams had Al Saunders and he & Vermeil did just fine in Kansas City. Overall IMO Vermeil does not get enough credit and you only have to look at the demise in the area of personnel to realize how valuable Dick Vermeil was to the Ram organization.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

den-the-coach said:
Even if Martz left the Rams had Al Saunders and he & Vermeil did just fine in Kansas City.

Yup. Makes one wonder. What might have been?

He shouldn't have retired.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

It was much, much more than just Martz being responsible for the crappy personnel decisions and drafting. But I agree with the rest of it. :amped:

Martz was very entertaing as a HC though wasn't he? Remember when we had to go for two points after every TD? :rofl:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

albefree69 said:
Martz was very entertaing as a HC though wasn't he? Remember when we had to go for two points after every TD? :rofl:

And when he called for an onside kick against the Jets with the Rams up like 38-10. The New York fans and media killed Martz, but if he was coaching a New York team they would've been saying..."WE'RE NEW YORK THAT'S HOW WE ROLE."

Was nice hearing them wine after that game and I am glad he did it, but Vermeil had so much experience and allowed people like Charlie Armey to do his job. Martz did not and made mistakes not only in personnel, but on his coaching staff as well.

fearsomefour

Legend

Martz was classic in the same way that everyones smart but weird aunt or uncle is....could have been so much more, but, has some issues. It was amazing to watch a guy totally deny what was going on right in front of him. I often wondered if he was sort of self destructing on purpose, in a subconscious way. What could have been....when they decided to let London Fletcher go in favor of Thomas....well, it was sad watching all that go away so quickly.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

fearsomefour said:
..when they decided to let London Fletcher go in favor of Thomas....well, it was sad watching all that go away so quickly.

Actually they let Fletcher go because Jay Zygmunt did not think they could keep Leonard Little and London. So they signed Little and without even contacting Flecther's agent signed Jamie Duncan because they knew he would be cheaper and Lovie Smith worked with Duncan in Tampa.

So in essense the Rams lost Fletcher because Jay Zygmunt never picked up the phone to see what it would take and jumped at the chance to sign Duncan. Afterwards when Fletcher landed in Buffalo Zygmunt addmitted he made an oversite because they could have affored to keep Fletcher. This is why I could not stand Jay Zygmunt, he biggest strength (cap management) became his biggest weakness!

nighttrain

Legend

den-the-coach said:
fearsomefour said:
..when they decided to let London Fletcher go in favor of Thomas....well, it was sad watching all that go away so quickly.

Actually they let Fletcher go because Jay Zygmunt did not think they could keep Leonard Little and London. So they signed Little and without even contacting Flecther's agent signed Jamie Duncan because they knew he would be cheaper and Lovie Smith worked with Duncan in Tampa.

So in essense the Rams lost Fletcher because Jay Zygmunt never picked up the phone to see what it would take and jumped at the chance to sign Duncan. Afterwards when Fletcher landed in Buffalo Zygmunt addmitted he made an oversite because they could have affored to keep Fletcher. This is why I could not stand Jay Zygmunt, he biggest strength (cap management) became his biggest weakness!
ziggy= football idiot
train

moklerman

Warner-phile

It's nice to imagine that it could have all been held together but I really doubt it would have. There was way too much in-fighting for it to continue on in any kind of positive way.

Would Vermeil have been able to calm the situation? I think he would have had a much better chance but I don't recall him having too much control or power compared to management. Maybe with the Super Bowl win things would have been more in his favor but I just don't get that feeling. Zygmunt, Shaw...who was the "throat slasher" guy? Anyway, all of them seemed to be at odds and destined to destroy what they were all so lucky to stumble into.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Niners NO WAY IN HELL win 2 more Superbowls if Bill Walsh retired after the first one. He stayed on and won 2 more. We had a dynasty in the making with Vermeil as he was the guy that got the extra effort out of the players because they loved him. Lose him, and the wheels actually don't fly off the bus, but they did get a little wobbly.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

moklerman with the voice of reason...or crazy like me:
It's nice to imagine that it could have all been held together but I really doubt it would have. There was way too much in-fighting for it to continue on in any kind of positive way.

Would Vermeil have been able to calm the situation? I think he would have had a much better chance but I don't recall him having too much control or power compared to management. Maybe with the Super Bowl win things would have been more in his favor but I just don't get that feeling. Zygmunt, Shaw...who was the "throat slasher" guy? Anyway, all of them seemed to be at odds and destined to destroy what they were all so lucky to stumble into.

That's exactly how I remember it. But I think DV would have been a moderating influence of Martz. That would have led to a better team IMO.