Kurt Warner on ESPN radio (Hill and Schlereth)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
podcenterlogo.png

Kurt Warner, Former NFL QB
Former NFL QB Kurt Warner tells Mark Schlereth and John Kincade why he prefers his kids not to play football and responds to Amani Toomer's criticism of his comments.

[rp3]http://cdn16.castfire.com/audio/303/2117/16883/967749/hillandschlereth_2012-05-03-201949-6701-0-0-0.48.mp3[/rp3]

(On the bounties thing)
To one degree, it's disturbing. If guys inside the game are looking to hurt guys, and affect their livelihood, etc., there's no place in the game for that. The bottom line, end of the day thing, is I want to see every guy play and walk off the field. When you start talking about incentive to hit guys in such a way that you're trying to knock them out of the game, that's the disturbing part. The integrity of the game rides on changing the intent of which this game is played. When you look at defensive guys, how do they get on SportsCenter? With those big hits, and I think the media is driving those big hits. The Commissioner is trying to bring the intent back to playing the game the way it's supposed to be played. When it's played *like that*, it's the greatest game in the world.

(The NFLPA is banging the drum for safety, and the league is just trying to avoid lawsuits)
It's kind of circular right now. So many new things coming out. I think you might be right about some of that. Some part of it is protecting themselves moving forward. We have to continue to work on player safety though. Putting more effort into the youth leagues, and teaching kids how to play the game right. It's gotta be a cumulative effort. Ex-players, current players, the league, etc.

(Amani Toomer's comments. Not wanting your kids to play football, you need to keep your opinions to yourself, etc)
I agree from my standpoint. Everything I have gotten came from the game. I continue to watch it, and I'm a big fan. At the end of the day though, I've seen how my wife looks at this game when I'm out there getting hit. It's different when you put on a parent's hat. I can't avoid the fact that it's a dangerous and violent sport. I don't want them to take their chance. Can I protect them from everything? No. My point being, as a parent, do you think about that? Do you think about the violence of the game? Of course. My son's 13, and he's already suffered a concussion. The most important thing is the safety of my kids. It's in my thought process and I consider it. At the end of the day, I'd love for them to play and never suffer an injury. I don't know why i would have to keep my comments to myself. I'm speaking as a father.