Kurt Warner on 49er's QB Trey Lance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Warner does not appear to be a huge fan of Lance's inaccuracy.
First video is the positive stuff Warner see's and the 2nd video shows the negatives.
The Negative video is 4 minutes longer. hopefully an example of things to come. LOL

Lance is not in Warner's top three, with Warner liking Mac Jones as the 3rd ranked QB in the draft.
Of course Warner is looking at reading and accuracy and taking the ability to run the ball out of
his equation.

View: https://youtu.be/7la4K57zq4g

View: https://youtu.be/AfeBwgqLAoQ

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Have there been very many college to NFL QB's who have dramatically increased their accuracy issues?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Have there been very many college to NFL QB's who have dramatically increased their accuracy issues?
No - excepting maybe Josh Allen. He seemed to improve significantly latter year 2 and last year.
Can't recall anyone else - Trubisky's the poster boy for your point.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sometimes I feel like it doesn't matter who Shanny has at QB. The dude is so good at scheming guys open and mixing things up that unless you have a defensive front that can blow up the blocking schemes they're gonna put up points no matter who is back there.

And they have a fantastic OL. So hell. I just hope we can put them down this year with either Garoppolo or a rookie back there shitting his pants. Our offense should be able to hang plenty of points on them so I do think we take 1 or 2 games from them this season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lance kinda blows" ~ Kurt

Aint no lie, Kurt!

MachS

Hall of Fame
They said Josh Allen would never be accurate but he sure was last year. Improved his mechanics and was amazing. I personally think Lance has a great throwing motion and footwork and dont think he'll be inaccurate in the NFL. Especially once Shanny gets his hands on him. This was the one guy I didn't want to go to SF. His upside is ridiculous. Plus he made all the protection adjustments at the LOS as well as audibles in their offense. So he's coming in more pro ready then a lot of people think. I doubt Jimmy G is on their roster opening day no matter what their FO says.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sometimes I feel like it doesn't matter who Shanny has at QB. The dude is so good at scheming guys open and mixing things up that unless you have a defensive front that can blow up the blocking schemes they're gonna put up points no matter who is back there.

And they have a fantastic OL. So hell. I just hope we can put them down this year with either Garoppolo or a rookie back there shitting his pants. Our offense should be able to hang plenty of points on them so I do think we take 1 or 2 games from them this season.

doesn't it?

how come he has three losing seasons when jimmy g was injured and his only winning season was when jimmy g stayed healthy the whole year?

you need to have a good qb to win in this league.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
doesn't it?

how come he has three losing seasons when jimmy g was injured and his only winning season was when jimmy g stayed healthy the whole year?

you need to have a good qb to win in this league.

Yeah no argument here. It's why I said "sometimes." Just seems like he could have a random cab driver throw for 300 vs our defense even when it's loaded with studs and all-stars. Drives me fuckin nuts. :alol:

oldnotdead

Legend

IMO there are basically three reasons QB's are inaccurate.

1. He simply lacks that as part of his innate talent.
2. Poor mechanics
3. Mental pressure

In Lance's case, I can see why the Niner's drafted him. They got a really talented QB in Trey. His inaccuracies are basically inconsistent mechanics, primarily in his footwork but also in things like body positioning and arm motion. These are clearly evident in his film where he misses the throws. There is nothing I've seen that isn't correctable with good coaching.

This kid needs to be more consistent with his reads and how he works his progressions. But again it's all experience and coaching. Lance has a much bigger upside than Murray and will easily become the #3 QB in the NFCW. Once he develops he will be a real challenge for the Ram defense.

When you look at Goff in 2018 and then in 2020 you see two different QBs. IMO Goff was made to feel he needed to be perfect on every throw so he began to aim his passes which is exactly what you don't want to do. That regression is at McVay's feet. McVay's impatience is why I say he isn't a developer of talent, he's a creator who knows how to use talent. They aren't the same thing. It's why I think both the Rams and the Lions won in that trade. Some players are a poor fit because of the scheme, in this case, it was a poor fit between the HC and the QB.

With Stafford, Sean has what he wants in a QB, i.e. a player he doesn't have to develop but simply plug and play in his offense. That is why I simply don't see them using a high draft pick on a QB as long as Sean is the HC. They might use a mid-round pick to develop a backup QB who eventually blossoms into a starter but I don't foresee any more Goffs. Heck if Wolford sticks around long enough he is the type of player I'm referring to.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im not fearful of any Shanahan effect. His Qb's against the Rams have been decent, 86 QB rating with 15 turnovers in 8 games against the Rams. Only 1 of 8 games was clean by 49ers QB, when Crappolo had 3 td and no TO

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

If your question is regarding QB's that have increased their accuracy issues by ground breaking margins In the last 10 years...

Their is only one QB of significance that I can think of. If there are others please enlighten me.

Josh Allen

2018 ATT 320, Comp 169, Comp % 52.81
2019 ATT 461, Comp 271, Comp % 58.79
2020 ATT 572, Comp 396, Comp % 69.23

Josh Allen appears to be an outlier. Lance could follow suit but percentages are not in his favor going off of the last 10 years.
maxresdefault.jpg

2018Buffalo Bills1232016952.81

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Yeah no argument here. It's why I said "sometimes." Just seems like he could have a random cab driver throw for 300 vs our defense even when it's loaded with studs and all-stars. Drives me fuckin nuts. :alol:
Me as well - but quite frankly it was our fuck-ups lost those games. On both sides of the ball.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IMO there are basically three reasons QB's are inaccurate.

1. He simply lacks that as part of his innate talent.
2. Poor mechanics
3. Mental pressure

In Lance's case, I can see why the Niner's drafted him. They got a really talented QB in Trey. His inaccuracies are basically inconsistent mechanics, primarily in his footwork but also in things like body positioning and arm motion. These are clearly evident in his film where he misses the throws. There is nothing I've seen that isn't correctable with good coaching.

This kid needs to be more consistent with his reads and how he works his progressions. But again it's all experience and coaching. Lance has a much bigger upside than Murray and will easily become the #3 QB in the NFCW. Once he develops he will be a real challenge for the Ram defense.

When you look at Goff in 2018 and then in 2020 you see two different QBs. IMO Goff was made to feel he needed to be perfect on every throw so he began to aim his passes which is exactly what you don't want to do. That regression is at McVay's feet. McVay's impatience is why I say he isn't a developer of talent, he's a creator who knows how to use talent. They aren't the same thing. It's why I think both the Rams and the Lions won in that trade. Some players are a poor fit because of the scheme, in this case, it was a poor fit between the HC and the QB.

With Stafford, Sean has what he wants in a QB, i.e. a player he doesn't have to develop but simply plug and play in his offense. That is why I simply don't see them using a high draft pick on a QB as long as Sean is the HC. They might use a mid-round pick to develop a backup QB who eventually blossoms into a starter but I don't foresee any more Goffs. Heck if Wolford sticks around long enough he is the type of player I'm referring to.
So, McVay dramatically helps Kirk Cousins to develop and took Fisher Goff, and turned him into 2018 Goff. Then when defenses figured out how to defend McVay's offense and McVay tried to give Goff more responsibility in reading the defenses it didn't work out as well as hoped. So, somehow this all equates to McVay cannot develop talent?:thinking:

He did develop Goff, Cousins, and Wolford. Some QBs have limitations that cannot be coached up beyond a certain point. Otherwise, a good QB coach could coach up any QB and would have a league leading QB every year. Do you really think McCarthy developed Rodgers? Or Payton developed Brees? Did Belichick develop Brady? How's he doing with Cam Newton?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am really looking forward to see Lance play.

The 49’ers took one hell of a gamble, making a serious projection, selecting a player with so little experience.

Could boom... or bust.