Kurt Warner draws parallels between Austin and Hakim

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I didn't listen to this... yet.

I suspect this is more a "shout out to Hakim" than anything else.

As much as I appreciate Hakim's game... Austin is on a different level.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I dunno, man. Hakim was a freak of nature too. Fluid like gumby and fast as hell. Of course his fumbles made everyone wanna puke, but he was a monster slot receiver. He had it freaking MADE being wedged between Holt and Bruce, and I knew as soon as he decided that he wanted to be a "#1 receiver" with the Lions, that his career was gonna just straight tank. Dumb decision on his part. Just dumb.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I dunno, man. Hakim was a freak of nature too. Fluid like gumby and fast as hell. Of course his fumbles made everyone wanna puke, but he was a monster slot receiver. He had it freaking MADE being wedged between Holt and Bruce, and I knew as soon as he decided that he wanted to be a "#1 receiver" with the Lions, that his career was gonna just straight tank. Dumb decision on his part. Just dumb.

I think Tavon can be successful without compliment #1 and #2. I don't think Tavon is the traditional #1, but I see him as a weapon on his own. Unlike Hakim.

Hakim had some sweet moves... But, Austin is on a different level. Just my opinion... which has been proven time and time again to be precise. :razz:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think Tavon can be successful without compliment #1 and #2. I don't think Tavon is the traditional #1, but I see him as a weapon on his own. Unlike Hakim.

Hakim had some sweet moves... But, Austin is on a different level. Just my opinion... which has been proven time and time again to be precise. :razz:
Yeah, I think Tavon can be the better receiver too. Hakim was fast, but Tavon has an additional gear.

had

Rookie
Funny. Watching TA yesterday, I thought of Hakim. That guy was magic, but with a fatal flaw - the fumbles.

I have watched the replays a bunch of times, and I honestly cannot tell if TA is hitting 5th gear. He looks like he's flirting with the RPMs in 3rd gear, then leveling it out in 4th. I don't know. This kid can fly.

There's your excitement, Mr. Juggernaut.

A55VA6

Legend
I have watched the replays a bunch of times, and I honestly cannot tell if TA is hitting 5th gear. He looks like he's flirting with the RPMs in 3rd gear, then leveling it out in 4th. I don't know. This kid can fly.
I thought about this too. lol Tavon Austin is freakishly fast.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I have watched the replays a bunch of times, and I honestly cannot tell if TA is hitting 5th gear. He looks like he's flirting with the RPMs in 3rd gear, then leveling it out in 4th.
I had same thought

jap

Legend
Funny. Watching TA yesterday, I thought of Hakim. That guy was magic, but with a fatal flaw - the fumbles.

Tavon seems to do just enough to elude capture. He plays with the defensive players by using just enough speed to stay away from their grasp. Given the amount of long runs he can accumulate in a single game, I can't really blame him for being efficient with his energy.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavon seems to do just enough to elude capture. He plays with the defensive players by using just enough speed to stay away from their grasp. Given the amount of long runs he can accumulate in a single game, I can't really blame him for being efficient with his energy.

I think he uses the change in pace to screw up the defender's angle when in pursuit. He slows down, gets them to change their angle then puts on the speed to run right by them.

jap

Legend
I think he uses the change in pace to screw up the defender's angle when in pursuit. He slows down, gets them to change their angle then puts on the speed to run right by them.

Yes, Tavon knows his angles, knows them so well he can run in traffic without hardly being touched because he knows guys are not fast enough or quick enough to stay with him.

…..

Legend
The comparisons are inevitable I suppose....two liittle, and fast guys we're talkin about.

But I see two different runners. Hakim was not as fluid and effortless looking as Tavon.

To me, and its just my opinion.

Hakim- Little dude who could run fast
Tavon- Fast football player who is little

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I thought the same thing. He appeared to turn on a quick burst to blast by the punter but even then he looked like he had another gear should he need it. Just a freakish ability to change speeds without really looking like he is changing speeds.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Precisely. That's why he does the high-step move. People get frustrated but I saw it work in college. High-steps a couple of steps and then immediately bursts back up to speed when the defender lets up a little.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

I pretty much agree with this. I loved Hakim, but Austin is just faster, has better ball control (which with Hakim was horrendous) and is at least as smooth. Like Austin showed Sunday if he has 2-3 yards he can score from anywhere on the field

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Hakim was a poor mans Austin.

Imagine Austin between Bruce, Holt, and Faulk. They would have scored 600 pts.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If you compare college highlights Austins moves are very similar to Dexter McClusters. I thought that was the player that he best compared to. Now, after the last few weeks I think he best compares to Desean Jackson. It seems that using him in a similar way that Jackson is used is what is going to work best for Tavon in the NFL.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Kurt said it 8 months after I did during the draft. I suppose my history on this board is my only evidence. Sigh...

I also said Stedman Bailey is the next Steve Smith. Wait for it...