Kurt Warner - Baker's Cooking in LA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Beautiful study of what kind of QB Baker is. Baker does work his progressions, and part of the problem is the inconsistent OL play. Baker seems to be pulling the trigger early simply because he's worried about the protection. This highlights the difference between Mayfield and Murray. Kyler is also a pure progression QB but because he doesn't study, if his first two reads are taken away, he's usually toast.

Baker is not Stafford and never will be. Stafford reads defenders anticipating what they will do. Teams know this and will try to fake him out and it's why Stafford has such a high number of INTs and is slower to get the ball out. Mayfield plays McVay's scheme the way McVay has designed it. This is exactly why I've changed my expectations about the QB situation in LA.

I anticipate Baker signing at least a one year deal (ideally a two year deal) to stay in LA. I expect Stafford to retire in 2024 with Mayfield becoming the successor. Baker Mayfield is evolving into the type of QB AZ thought they had in Murray. But in Murray, they have a kid who pouts when things don't go well and blames everyone except himself.

The Rams with Mayfield are going to be a different team. As Kurt pointed out the defense MUST keep the score close. That is where the pure progression type of QB struggle. That is why I'm adamant that the Rams need to fire Morris because that is now how he likes to play his defense. Morris doesn't want to dominate he wants to play "good enough".

The Rams can win with Mayfield with a decent OL and a strong defense. Kurt's breakdown showed why McVay sees him as a complete fit for his offense. With a better OL in front of him, Baker will feel better about allowing the routes to develop. This is what I meant about Mayfield's decision making in my previous post. With a better OL he should feel better about allowing the play to progress. But regardless, I'm not going to fault him for playing fast and taking what is there early.

Staley's defense is predicated upon playing QBs like Mayfield and Murray. Lots of disguises and combinations for a QB to sift through. IMO this is the test that will make or break Baker with Sean. If Mayfield simply plays well against the Chargers that IMO will be enough. It's not a matter of winning or losing. Baker must play well when facing a DC like Staley. If he does then it will signal that he's good enough to get to and win a Super Bowl.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Fortunately for Baker he is still young and agile. He may not be a Stafford, but he can still do things that Stafford can’t ie. Scramble. Everything else he can master in time. He has the arm talent for sure. Luckily under someone like McVay he can progress to become a very good QB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I guess KW missed the Chargers game. Yes he is better than the backups we got and he can probably with a better team around him hold the fort down if Stafford gets injured for 3-6 games, but he is not the answer long-term. Just watching him he is really a pocket QB with sort of legs. He doesn't do a good job leading wrs,! and his deep ball isn't good. Ok he has been in the system only a minute I get it, but he will not be here next year because he views himself a nfl starter not a backup especially in his prime 5 years from now sure.

Btw there are a bunch of QB needy teams, Houston, tenn, wash, Indy, Raiders, TB, NO, ATL maybe the Giants not sold on Jones, maybe Seattle, maybe Miami, maybe the Jets, maybe NE and maybe longshot Carolina again maybe not but it still means their potentially an opening that will need a QB to be filled. Only 2 guys coming out of college and neither look like a Herbert to me coming out. Hardly any FAs maybe Lamar but minimally he will be franchised, Brady 46, Rodgers maybe but cost is prohibitive and dead money seems unrealistic to trade him.

So to me with a good showing against Seattle in Seattle next week may cement him as at least a potential candidate.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I guess KW missed the Chargers game. Yes he is better than the backups we got and he can probably with a better team around him hold the fort down if Stafford gets injured for 3-6 games, but he is not the answer long-term. Just watching him he is really a pocket QB with sort of legs. He doesn't do a good job leading wrs,! and his deep ball isn't good. Ok he has been in the system only a minute I get it, but he will not be here next year because he views himself a nfl starter not a backup especially in his prime 5 years from now sure.

Btw there are a bunch of QB needy teams, Houston, tenn, wash, Indy, Raiders, TB, NO, ATL maybe the Giants not sold on Jones, maybe Seattle, maybe Miami, maybe the Jets, maybe NE and maybe longshot Carolina again maybe not but it still means their potentially an opening that will need a QB to be filled. Only 2 guys coming out of college and neither look like a Herbert to me coming out. Hardly any FAs maybe Lamar but minimally he will be franchised, Brady 46, Rodgers maybe but cost is prohibitive and dead money seems unrealistic to trade him.

So to me with a good showing against Seattle in Seattle next week may cement him as at least a potential candidate.
If he's smart he will stay as a back up until Staff retires. None of the teams you mentioned seem like a good fit for Mayfield, and he'd be going into a franchise that is rebuilding. He's been there done that twice. He's with a coach that likes him and can actually make a game plan to his strengths. So it's either lose a couple years sitting behind Staff, or possibly lose your career like he almost did in Carolina. No brainer to me.

As for his throwing ability, he made some pretty damn good throws yesterday considering he was running for most of it. Hell He's spread the ball around more than Stafford ever did last season. And to back ups, when the excuse for Staff last season for not spreading the ball around was "he hasn't had time with those receivers". So if we are going to judge Staff and Mayfield evenly, I think Mayfield deserves to at least get a little more credit with his circumstances.