Kurt Warner and the Hall of Fame, in 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Kurt is up, along with Orlando, Torry and Ike.

Rams fans know Kof Kurt's worthiness. But it is not a national knowledge. In 2011, voter peter King said, Now some words about the quarterback who is singlehandedly forcing me, one of the 44 Pro Football Hall of Fame voters, to act like the five-year donut hole in the middle of his career is a crack in the sidewalk and not the Grand Canyon. I don't like to judge active players for the Hall, and I won't."He then on to praise Kurt's play in the Arizona Super Bowl.\
Tony Monkkovic of the New York Yimes asks, "Do you think he’s done enough to merit Hall of Fame induction? Some of those who decide such matters are surprisingly pessimistic.

“He’s not even in the conversation,” Vito Stellino, a football writer and a Hall of Fame voter, was quoted as saying last week if the Cardinals didn’t win.

Writing before the game, Gary Myers of The Daily News said the second Super Bowl victory was “crucial”. (Warner has one victory and two losses in Super Bowls.) Myers later quoted ESPN’s John Clayton as saying: “He needs to win this game. I don’t think there is any question,” although Clayton said Warner could also get in with a few more elite seasons.

I think Kurt will get in based on his body of work that does have a donut hole in it . . . but I think Orlando Pace and Ike will have to wait. Will Shields was in the top 10 of finalists this year and will give Pace a run for his money.

Ike and Torry will be lumped in with Tim Brown and Marvin Harrison, with Harrison going in next year, then maybe Brown, then Ike. Pace will possibly join Ike in 2017.

Kurt will get it, and it will be first ballot, but it will be filled with lots of his negatives, his pick-6s in Super Bowls and his comebacks in those games and his defenses letting opponents drive the field with little time left, and taking the Pats and Steelers games. And the Titans nearly tying the game won't help. Kurt cannot play defense and put his team in a situtation to win all three, but the Rams/Cards didn't get it done.

I just think Kurt's positives will outway he naysayers on Kurt.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think it was Whitlock who said he deserved to go in because you cannot discuss football during the time he played and not have him be a big topic.

And his post season record and performances are amazing. I think that'll be the difference maker, that he had such great post season work.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I hope that you old Red Bird fans don't get too upset when I say this... but...

Any QB who was able to take that franchise to the Super Bowl (even after the move to Arizona) deserves automatic admission into the Hall.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Is there any other HOF eligible QBs up next year? I can't recall anyone they may be...I bet he is in next year for sure.

Pace should also get in since both Jonathon Ogden and Walter Jones are in.

I'd suspect that Bruce and Holt eventually get in, though it might not be 1st ballot.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Any QB who was able to take that franchise to the Super Bowl (even after the move to Arizona) deserves automatic admission into the Hall.

He did the same with the really bad Rams.......so it wasn't his first time. LOL.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Am am concerned about Orlando going in right away. Ogden didn't have the injuries, and I hope you are right, but Pace's career fell off the map whereas Ogden was pretty strong to the end. Also Pace average 8 false starts a season. But sacks allowed, he was right the same (about) as Ogden, Roaf and Jones. And he had few holding penalites. But with 4 Rams up plus Bettis and Greene, Warner is the one that should be a 1st ballot guy and I hope all the other Rams don't make it a glut, when someone's bias enters into it.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think Warner and Ike are both in. Warner's overall numbers hold up pretty strongly and probably more importantly, his story resonates.

Bruce's name appears on the all-time list just as many as Tim Brown and Cris Carter. Brown and Carter are sort of both notorious in the eyes of the media, Ike is a much more likeable figure so maybe that pushes it in his favor.

Here's the NFL Records page for receiving if anyone wants to peruse it. http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/receiving

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
-Orlando Pace is the DEFINITION of a first ballot HOFer. The best LTs of the 2000s imo go 1a. Ogden 1b. Pace 2. Jones. Since Ogden & Jones both got in first ballot, I don't know how the same doesn't happen for Big O.
-I don't know about Kurt. Imo his body of work is HOF worthy. I think the fact that he REVIVED his career is more impressive than the fact that he had 5 bad years. 3 super bowls, 3 games that he gave his team the lead in the 4th quarter. When his defense held at the end he won, when they didn't he lost. Lets also not forget that he won MVP in the regular season & SB, and he owns the 3 highest passing yardage games in SB history: 1. 414 2. 377 3. 365. In '99 he was the only quarterback to throw 40+ TDs in a season other than Dan Marino. Idk if the voters see it the same way. Imo he'll get in between 2015-2020.
-If you look at all-time receiving stats you will see Bruce near the top in every category. He may not have been as physically dominant as Moss or as loud as TO, but the rev got it done consistently over his 15 years. I think scoring the iconic SB winning TD helps his resume too. He'll get in, just may have to wait for Tim Brown. He needs to get in within the next 4 years or so, before guys like Moss & TO become eligible. My guess is 2015-2020.
-Torry is the tough one. He'll take a back seat to Ike, Harrison, & Brown, but statistically he has had one of the most impressive decades by a WR I've ever seen. In a decade (2000s) which sported the likes of Harrison, Moss, TO, Bruce, and Ward, Torry led the NFL in receiving yards. He also led the NFL in receiving yards twice & had 6 straight 1,300 yard seasons. Here's a fun stat: Torry has the most avg. per catch for a WR EVER with 3 or more catches in a game. On September 24th, 2000, Torry caught 3 balls for 189 yards (63 yard average) & 2 TDs. He also has a ring under his belt & a TD in that win as well. Torry never got the hype of Moss or TO, but he was just as consistent if not more. I think he deserves to get in, but it may take a while. I'm guessing 2016-2026.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

As a former Redbird fan I think you offended no one,I'm just happy Aeneas Williams didn't have to wait as long as Roger Wehrli did to get in because he played for the Deadbirds.
To this day I find it hard to believe in any sustained success out of them ,they hire some good coaches then fire them or let them get away (Coryell,Stallings,Hanifan) just in St.L.
Nah we know it better than you do

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
-Orlando Pace is the DEFINITION of a first ballot HOFer. The best LTs of the 2000s imo go 1a. Ogden 1b. Pace 2. Jones. Since Ogden & Jones both got in first ballot, I don't know how the same doesn't happen for Big O.

Just seeing the process gives he doubt . . . that he's going to have to compete with Shields. Roaf had to wait a year. But to me, it's the late-career injuries that are the question mark. We'll see. He' going to get in, but with so many Rams up at same time, they will create a logjam. All your information is good, and all, to me, are Hall-Worthy, it's just a question of timing. But you have more confidence in Pace, and I have more confidence that Kurt will make it, but, I have doubts about Kurt, too, that's why I started this thread. They may make him wait until Favre is in . . .

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Just a little tidbit I wanted to add about Pace. I remember him completely STONEWALLING Dwight Freeney during the MNF game in 2005. Freeney was one of the most dominant pass rushers in the NFL at the time, and he did NOTHING. He tried his trademark spin move & bullrush, but Big O wouldn't let him by. Just one of those moments where I KNEW this guy was beyond special

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
IDK, after the complete BS with Quinn and the DPOY voting, I'll believe it when I see it. How many times have our guys been screwed before?

Pace, Bruce, and Warner should be locks but I ain't holding my breath...

Ram_of_Old

I might have to pony up and go see Kurt inducted. He has given me the biggest thrill of my years as a Rams fan. I just hope I don't cry.....:cry:

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Just a little tidbit I wanted to add about Pace. I remember him completely STONEWALLING Dwight Freeney during the MNF game in 2005. Freeney was one of the most dominant pass rushers in the NFL at the time, and he did NOTHING. He tried his trademark spin move & bullrush, but Big O wouldn't let him by. Just one of those moments where I KNEW this guy was beyond special

I remember that, that was when we found out LL brother had died. We had them, but things fell apart after that . . . .but I do remember that play

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G

I remember that, that was when we found out LL brother had died. We had them, but things fell apart after that . . . .but I do remember that play
565_zps776bcb41.jpg