Kurt has become a very very good analyst

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw this. I like how Kurt breaks downs some of the missed pass plays early in the game, which he mostly attributed to miscommunication and newness to the system. Problems that will be worked out over time.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I saw this. I like how Kurt breaks downs some of the missed pass plays early in the game, which he mostly attributed to miscommunication and newness to the system. Problems that will be worked out over time.
Agreed. That said, the pocket looks clean on most plays.

Don't remember that from last year

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. That said, the pocket looks clean on most plays.

Don't remember that from last year
BUT, Stafford also moves better in the pocket and helps his Oline than our previous QB.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I give credit to the OL for their blocking, this season, but I have to also give credit to the RBs and WRs who have also blocked, very well.

oldnotdead

Legend
Kurt breakdowns confirm what I've seen and why I've posted what I have. There is a lot of miscommunication between Stafford and the receivers because both are reading the route differently. That will clean up as they get more in sync with each other. There are a lot of route options built into McVay's offense, so it takes time

Also, it's clear from the breakdown that Stafford is indeed reading deep to short and is pressing the deep throws at the expense of the shorter open receivers. IMO that is from expressed instructions from McVay. How do I know? Because of McVay's reaction or should I say non-reaction when the throw is missed or INT compared to his reaction with Goff.

The pass protection is better this year than in 2018. Goff was sacked 33 times in 2018 that's an average of 2 per game. Stafford has faced some really good fronts and has only been sacked 4 times in 5 games. Goff's INT percentage over the entire 2018 season was 2.1%. Stafford thus far is only 1.7%. which is elite. That said, Goff's career INT percentage is actually better than Stafford's. Both guys have played behind questionable OLs. Goff's performance behind Detroit's injury-riddled OL is basically the same as Stafford's performances in Detroit.

My point is that there obviously is a direct correlation between OL play and what the QB is able to do. The Rams OL this year is allowing Stafford the luxury to play a deep to short progression. That compares with Goff's short to long progression due to poor OL play. As long as that protection holds up, i.e. as long as the OL stays healthy I only see the Ram's passing game only becoming more deadly.

Frankly, I would many times rather see Stafford taking those quick shorter passes (most are actually in the intermediate range) to extend possessions. This would take pressure off the defense, particularly in close games. With Morris' conservative defense, TOP is a factor.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Do you know who else has developed into a great announcer? Adam Archuleta. Fucking love him. Still proudly wear my old Archuleta Jersey.

Tano

Legend
BUT, Stafford also moves better in the pocket and helps his Oline than our previous QB.
That definitely helps but having the inside be much cleaner than the last two years greatly helps the QB to step up into the pocket instead of having to back up and getting sacked from a outside rusher or trying to avoid both the inside and outside rusher and getting tripped up trying to get out of the pocket from that said rush.

Psycho_X

Legend
Like that angle on Stafford's terrible interception. Looks like maybe he was hoping Jefferson would keep running to corner but he stops on a dime and starts fighting back the opposite way right when Stafford throws it. I thought he was just trying to throw it away and just didn't get all of it. Either way, probably a bad throw regardless as Jefferson was still going to have to fight for it with two Seahawks in good position to defend it but i guess it's slightly better then limp arming a throw away lol.

Flipper89

UDFA
Kurt has a Cardinals jersey draped in the background.
Fairly certain he considers himself a Cardinal more than a Ram. We would too if we were dumped by the franchise the way he was…hope I don’t upset any old Bulgerites out there

TexasRam

Legend
Great work by Kurt. Real honest look at Stafford's strengths and areas to work on. Specifically trying to make a Detroit play and throw in double coverage when there is no need to. He will scale that back as soon as he breaks the habit and realizes there is no need to push it on certain plays. We saw that in the Arizona game when he needlessly threw the pick.

One thing Kurt didn't mention which is real important is the wide open check downs that Stafford is not taking on third down. He had Hibgee underneath on one and Kupp underneath on another, but since he decided to throw the deeper low percentage balls it forced us into a punt. That is an easy improvement I expect Stafford to make.

The O-line protection is night and day better than the last two years and this projects to a 30PPG offense again, if we can stay healthy at Oline and Higbee. Stafford will only get better when he gets in synch with the WR's. Some of the overthrows are not being on the same page as the WR's as Warner rightly pointed out.

The sad part is most people don't have the patience and appreciate this type of deep breakdown. They want highlights and 2 minute superficial stuff with music in the background as you see on ESPN and now NFL network these days. So is there a market for this type of good analysis? Is there any incentive for Warner to continue this type of work? Probably not.

Shuie3225

Starter
IMO that is from expressed instructions from McVay. How do I know? Because of McVay's reaction or should I say non-reaction when the throw is missed or INT compared to his reaction with Goff.
Agree with most of your post but not this part. Stafford has always pushed the ball down the field. Always loved the deep ball. Even going back to his Georgia days.. I mean you would too if you had a howitzer for a right arm. To me this is just inherent in him and why McVay wanted to make the change to move on from Goff. Goff always took the underneath route immediately if it was open and it was just natural for him. They're just different QBs in that way, but I dont think McVay is telling Stafford to read it deep to shallow. The passing plays have a specific progression and order to go through reads, and I think Stafford is just much better at that. And add his desire to push the ball down the field on top.