Kroenke’s silence not helping Rams fans deal with dome dilemma

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The obvious question to me which is raised by your point.... What does having the value of the team increase do for him if he has zero intention of selling the team? As far as MAKING $$$ regarding a new stadium, land, parking, concessions, naming rights, etc. he would enjoy all of that when he builds a new stadium in STL. Would he not? All without the price of a relocation fee, higher cost of living, cost of construction, development etc. in CA, and so on.

The one thing that Kroenke has shown to be VERY CONSISTENT with, he doesn't buy teams in various sports to SELL them off. So increasing the perceived value on paper does NOTHING to his bottom line.
Because billionaires don't become billionaires by buying things or starting a business just to sit at the same value or take a dip. Their egos alone won't go for that.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Do you really think that will be the angle that he takes if he decides to pack up and leave in the middle of the night?

I am just curious..

Possibly, from all the shit I've been reading its a big deal. Also, I was reading that right now the Rams are in the top 4th of worse fan attendance right now so if he used that it might work for him.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'm going with something Shane G put out. The CVC will throw in 200 million or so, NFL gives him a loan and Stan foots the rest for HIS stadium! It seems reasonable to me!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have to disagree on the value of the team point. With as much money as Stan has, why would he do ANYTHING to create more wealth given that argument? The value of what you have is HUGE to people like Stan whether you intend to sell it or not. Let's not kid ourselves. If nothing else, it is a gauge of how successful you were with that aspect of your career. Think that doesn't matter to him?

You can argue how he intends to build that value. Is it ROY or net value or...? But to think Stan doesn't care how much the Rams are worth isn't really logical.

Let's say you and I both own the same kind of classic sports car. This year they are worth 30k. I sell mine, you keep yours.

Who has more money?

So five years later that car is worth 40k but you don't sell yours.

Who has more money?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Let's say you and I both own the same kind of classic sports car. This year they are worth 30k. I sell mine, you keep yours.

Who has more money?

So five years later that car is worth 40k but you don't sell yours.

Who has more money?

Well I do. Because you know what they say about you and your money. :p

Another scenario:

Say you have a basic garage full of million dollar cars. You don't drive any of them. You just show them around and let your friends come and sit in them every once in a while. The rest of your buddies that collect cars have elaborate showrooms on lavish estates that house their cars. You go out and buy a rare convertible Ferrari worth 3 million dollars to add to your collection and for something really cool to be seen in. You also own a beautiful estate in Malibu. Do you keep the Ferrari in your old garage? Or do you build a showroom cooler than the ones your buddies have and drive it down the PCH with the top down?

Or how about we both have 85 Camaros. We have no intention of selling them because we also both have mullets. I take mine to Japan. Whose is worth more?

fearsomefour

Legend
The obvious question to me which is raised by your point.... What does having the value of the team increase do for him if he has zero intention of selling the team? As far as MAKING $$$ regarding a new stadium, land, parking, concessions, naming rights, etc. he would enjoy all of that when he builds a new stadium in STL. Would he not? All without the price of a relocation fee, higher cost of living, cost of construction, development etc. in CA, and so on.

The one thing that Kroenke has shown to be VERY CONSISTENT with, he doesn't buy teams in various sports to SELL them off. So increasing the perceived value on paper does NOTHING to his bottom line.

It depends on his perspective I guess. Most business people like to increase worth at every opportunity and would never say never to selling. But, that is of course just speaking in general terms.
I agree he has shown no inclination to sell teams off....frankly even the bad NFL teams tend to gain in worth. The fee is an interesting point. The worth of the team, no matter how it is measured, would be much greater being the only NFL team in a city of 8 million (including outlying areas) as compared to a city of under a million. The value of a new stadium in LA would be worth more than a new stadium in St. Louis....the tax implication is another big point. Would LA give him a sweet heart tax break? Who knows, probably not.
I think the odds are the team stays in St. Louis. Kroenke is a smart guy, he isent going to give more informaton or tip his hand either way. Me personally, I am not reading too much into the land purchase in LA.

fearsomefour

Legend
The value of the team argument is one of the more foolish parts of these discussions. I'm amazed that people can't see how meaningless that is.

There won't be a normal fee either......it'll be a billion.

As I've said, moving to LA would be the dumber option, and it's so obvious I don't understand why people can't get it. Kroenke would be a fool to drop a billion to move to LA then pay rent in a stadium. And we know Kroenke is nowhere near a fool.

Just the fact that he may end up with competition in the form of a second team would probably put him off. It would turn me off for sure.

Your last sentence is very valid. I doubt the NFL is gonna give Ol Stan exclusivity rights for LA for his fee. As for it being a billion, that is just guessing.

From Forbes:
#31 St. Louis Rams
Value: $780 million
Profit: $6.7 million

This was post 2011 season. Is that profit number believable? Who knows how accurate that is. Cowboys post a profit of over $200 million (with a shiny new stadium). The article went on to say the Rams also ranked near the bottom in stadium revenue.
How much would upgrades to the dome change those numbers? I have no idea, just as I have no idea who the value of a franchise in LA would jump to. But it would jump.
The Whiners new stadium is costing $1.3 billion and the Whiners are paying $24.5 million a year to lease it. If the Rams can land a similiar sort of deal it does make sense to pay $25-30 million a year in rent to push the value of the business over a billion dollars and increase profits? Certainly doesnt seem silly to me.
The thing that interests me is how is it defined what a top third of the league stadium is (or whatever the working is regarding upgrades to the Dome)? Im sure there is detail there, related to revenue generating abilities, but, anything one can find to read about it is so vague.
So it really comes down to what Stan wants (duh).

…..

Legend
Or how about we both have 85 Camaros. We have no intention of selling them because we also both have mullets. I take mine to Japan. Whose is worth more?

um.....why dont you back away from the pepper sauce there Tonto....??

hahahaha....I dont care who you are....the above is fukken hilarious!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm a little upset that a person could actually have a billion dollars.

A billion ...... dollars.

Fuck.
Don't you mean a person other than you,I mean if someone gave you a billion dollars would you refuse it?

How could someone who wasn't a billionaire, or close, afford to pay the players salaries ?

BTW don't take the reply personally,it's just that someone out here in ROD land thought you were serious

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't you mean a person other than you,I mean if someone gave you a billion dollars would you refuse it?

How could someone who wasn't a billionaire, or close, afford to pay the players salaries ?

BTW don't take the reply personally,it's just that someone out here in ROD land thought you were serious
Of course I wouldn't refuse it.
And yeah, I'm upset because I don't have it.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Of course I wouldn't refuse it.
And yeah, I'm upset because I don't have it.
Yeah I knew that and forgive me for reacting but IMO the bigotry against extreme financial success is palpable and it still is directed wrongfully at a real life human being who has every right to be free of stereotypes as any of the rest of us.
It's always perplexed me how someone can get all cross ways at Stan who had a fraction of the financial wherewithal Sam Bradford has today at the same age,and turn around and cheer Sam for playing a game .
What do people think Donald Trump's net worth was when he was Sam's age?

I guess I'm just sayin the outrage is sort of selective and it effects immeasurably things like whether St. Louis retains this franchise and if they lose it the reality that WHEN they want another one the price is gonna be higher and OH YEAH the class envy card is the primary tool of the head "tool" at the PD.

Thanks for reading

T:rolleyes:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I knew that and forgive me for reacting but IMO the bigotry against extreme financial success is palpable and it still is directed wrongfully at a real life human being who has every right to be free of stereotypes as any of the rest of us.
It's always perplexed me how someone can get all cross ways at Stan who had a fraction of the financial wherewithal Sam Bradford has today at the same age,and turn around and cheer Sam for playing a game .
What do people think Donald Trump's net worth was when he was Sam's age?

I guess I'm just sayin the outrage is sort of selective and it effects immeasurably things like whether St. Louis retains this franchise and if they lose it the reality that WHEN they want another one the price is gonna be higher and OH YEAH the class envy card is the primary tool of the head "tool" at the PD.

Thanks for reading

T:rolleyes:
Agreed. I'm capitalist by nature, so I don't care if he has a trillion dollars.
I'm just jealous. :cry:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Agreed. I'm capitalist by nature, so I don't care if he has a trillion dollars.
I'm just jealous. :cry:

Yup and FWIW so is Bernie ,but you admit it, he uses it to array people against the object of his jealousy,but hey IMA help ya toward the trillion in ROD dollars with a like on that last post(y)