Kroenke’s silence not helping Rams fans deal with dome dilemma

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The few times I've seen articles about Kroenke and his soccer team they seem to be complaining that he's not spending enough money. Which is the exact opposite of what he's done with the Rams so it seems inconsistent.

And speaking of soccer, hasn't there also been some scuttlebutt about him bringing a team to St. Louis?
He recently purchased Union Station in St.Louis...one of the reports is that he wants to convert it into a soccer stadium.

moklerman

Warner-phile
He recently purchased Union Station in St.Louis...one of the reports is that he wants to convert it into a soccer stadium.
I try and be respectful about other people's sports but I just don't get it with soccer. Most of the world is passionate about it so there must be something there but I've watched it and I'd honestly rather do chores. I've had family play at the NCAA level and still found it just awful. More power to Stan if he can bring more to his St. Louis empire.

What about the NBA? Has St. Louis ever had a team? It seems like they have but my NBA trivia is weak. Why haven't they had one the past 30+ years?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I try and be respectful about other people's sports but I just don't get it with soccer. Most of the world is passionate about it so there must be something there but I've watched it and I'd honestly rather do chores. I've had family play at the NCAA level and still found it just awful. More power to Stan if he can bring more to his St. Louis empire.

What about the NBA? Has St. Louis ever had a team? It seems like they have but my NBA trivia is weak. Why haven't they had one the past 30+ years?
I don't get soccer either. I guess if we had a MLS team I'd give it a shot, why not?

St.Louis had the Hawks decades ago. I don't see St.Louis getting an NBA team anytime soon unless the NFL were to depart.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't get soccer either. I guess if we had a MLS team I'd give it a shot, why not?

St.Louis had the Hawks decades ago. I don't see St.Louis getting an NBA team anytime soon unless the NFL were to depart.
The current Atlanta team? Why'd they leave/were they born in St. Louis?

I glanced at a Lakers jersey in the store the other day and was taken by just how vibrant the purple and gold was and how much it stood out. But the point is it made me think about how sports teams sometimes used to match themselves. Steelers and Pirates. Cardinals and Cardinals. Dodgers and Rams. Vikings and Lakers. That sort of thing. Were the Hawks red and white? Called the Hawks as an extension of the bird theme?

Sum1

Hall of Fame

I glanced at a Lakers jersey in the store the other day and was taken by just how vibrant the purple and gold was and how much it stood out. But the point is it made me think about how sports teams sometimes used to match themselves. Steelers and Pirates. Cardinals and Cardinals. Dodgers and Rams. Vikings and Lakers. That sort of thing. Were the Hawks red and white? Called the Hawks as an extension of the bird theme?
Yes, the Atlanta Hawks used to be the St.Louis Hawks.

I wasn't even a thought in my parents mind when they left so I'll have to check out the wikipedia page.

Their origins can be traced to the establishment of the Buffalo Bisons in 1946, a member of the National Basketball League. After 13 games of their inaugural season, the team moved to Moline, Illinois and became the Tri-Cities Blackhawks. In 1949, they joined theNational Basketball Association (NBA) as part of the National Basketball League and the Basketball Association of America merger. In 1951, the team moved to Milwaukee, where they changed their name to the Hawks. The team moved again in 1955 to St. Louis, where they won their only NBA Championship in 1958. The Hawks moved to Atlanta in 1968, where they have been ever since.

1965–1975: Relocation to Atlanta[edit]
Despite the success, Kerner became wary of the Hawks' longtime home, Kiel Auditorium. The 33-year-old arena seated only 10,000 people and was starting to show its age. The Hawks occasionally played at the larger St. Louis Arena, mostly against popular opponents, but Kerner was not willing to move the team there full-time because it had not been well-maintained since the 1940s, and the arrival of the NHL's Blues in 1967 precluded a full-time move there. He wanted a new arena to increase revenue. However, Kerner was rebuffed by the city on several occasions.

RamEERS

Pastor

Well.. it it's a marketing tool for every sports team in Pittsburgh to wear black and yellow.... Pirates.. squeelers... Penguins...

And dodgers and rams? Don't think I've seen them wear anything yellowish before ..

moklerman

Warner-phile
Well.. it it's a marketing tool for every sports team in Pittsburgh to wear black and yellow.... Pirates.. squeelers... Penguins...

And dodgers and rams? Don't think I've seen them wear anything yellowish before ..
Granted it's a bit of a reach and probably not akin to the other examples but both wore blue and white during their heydays in Los Angeles.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yes, the Atlanta Hawks used to be the St.Louis Hawks.

I wasn't even a thought in my parents mind when they left so I'll have to check out the wikipedia page.

Their origins can be traced to the establishment of the Buffalo Bisons in 1946, a member of the National Basketball League. After 13 games of their inaugural season, the team moved to Moline, Illinois and became the Tri-Cities Blackhawks. In 1949, they joined theNational Basketball Association (NBA) as part of the National Basketball League and the Basketball Association of America merger. In 1951, the team moved to Milwaukee, where they changed their name to the Hawks. The team moved again in 1955 to St. Louis, where they won their only NBA Championship in 1958. The Hawks moved to Atlanta in 1968, where they have been ever since.

1965–1975: Relocation to Atlanta[edit]
Despite the success, Kerner became wary of the Hawks' longtime home, Kiel Auditorium. The 33-year-old arena seated only 10,000 people and was starting to show its age. The Hawks occasionally played at the larger St. Louis Arena, mostly against popular opponents, but Kerner was not willing to move the team there full-time because it had not been well-maintained since the 1940s, and the arrival of the NHL's Blues in 1967 precluded a full-time move there. He wanted a new arena to increase revenue. However, Kerner was rebuffed by the city on several occasions.
Jeez, St. Louis has had to deal with those same issues on just a few occasions, huh?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
It's amazing you still have people that will voice their opinion to make the same mistake over and over.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
??? Right over my head.
When talking about a new stadium there are still people that will dismiss the talk and be hard-headed. They seem to forget that being stubborn will not result in their favor.

If we want to keep the Rams we need to be open and think outside the box...not just dig our heels into the ground and tell Kroenke to build himself a stadium.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Granted it's a bit of a reach and probably not akin to the other examples but both wore blue and white during their heydays in Los Angeles.
The Kings, Lakers, and Rams all had similar color schemes. As did the Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants IIRR. I've noticed that with several sports cities - more in the past than necessarily now.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
When talking about a new stadium there are still people that will dismiss the talk and be hard-headed. They seem to forget that being stubborn will not result in their favor.

If we want to keep the Rams we need to be open and think outside the box...not just dig our heels into the ground and tell Kroenke to build himself a stadium.

Well when we look at SK's entire history of sports ownership one thing stands out big time. He owns the place they play. He wants his own stadium which is why the original proposal was so absurd that no city would sign off on it and he knew that going in. Now he can leave.

So it isn't a matter of not telling him to build it being a bad thing........its what he wants anyway.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Well when we look at SK's entire history of sports ownership one thing stands out big time. He owns the place they play. He wants his own stadium which is why the original proposal was so absurd that no city would sign off on it and he knew that going in. Now he can leave.

So it isn't a matter of not telling him to build it being a bad thing........its what he wants anyway.
There is no doubt in my mind that Kroenke is going to build his own stadium. I don't think it is a matter of give him a stadium or else, I just think it is a matter how can he get a great deal. I think it will be paramount for the community and our officials to get something creative done.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a little upset that a person could actually have a billion dollars.

A billion ...... dollars.

Fuck.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Im not sure he is better served by staying in St. Louis. The value of the team would be considerably more (value of a new stadium, land, advertising, radio, stadium rights ect.) being in LA. Paying what he paid and then have the team move to one of the biggest cities in the nation and gain considerable value makes total sense to me. Who knows if he is motivated that way at all. Frankly, it didnt make much when Georgia moved from LA to St. Louis other than getting a sweet heart deal on a place to play. The City of LA burned her royally and she got her revenge. Stan has no ax to grind with anyone I would assume, but, if it comes down to pure numbers and business for him, St. Loius better get its act together quickly. The biggest thing St. Loius would have going for it is the incompetence of the political machine in LA. If LA ever decides it wants a team and the Rams are their with their history ect. it would be a hard battle for St. Louis to win. Oakland is always a contender for LA as well.

The obvious question to me which is raised by your point.... What does having the value of the team increase do for him if he has zero intention of selling the team? As far as MAKING $$$ regarding a new stadium, land, parking, concessions, naming rights, etc. he would enjoy all of that when he builds a new stadium in STL. Would he not? All without the price of a relocation fee, higher cost of living, cost of construction, development etc. in CA, and so on.

The one thing that Kroenke has shown to be VERY CONSISTENT with, he doesn't buy teams in various sports to SELL them off. So increasing the perceived value on paper does NOTHING to his bottom line.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The obvious question to me which is raised by your point.... What does having the value of the team increase do for him if he has zero intention of selling the team? As far as MAKING $$$ regarding a new stadium, land, parking, concessions, naming rights, etc. he would enjoy all of that when he builds a new stadium in STL. Would he not? All without the price of a relocation fee, higher cost of living, cost of construction, development etc. in CA, and so on.

The one thing that Kroenke has shown to be VERY CONSISTENT with, he doesn't buy teams in various sports to SELL them off. So unless increasing the perceived value on paper does NOTHING to his bottom line.

The value of the team argument is one of the more foolish parts of these discussions. I'm amazed that people can't see how meaningless that is.

There won't be a normal fee either......it'll be a billion.

As I've said, moving to LA would be the dumber option, and it's so obvious I don't understand why people can't get it. Kroenke would be a fool to drop a billion to move to LA then pay rent in a stadium. And we know Kroenke is nowhere near a fool.

Just the fact that he may end up with competition in the form of a second team would probably put him off. It would turn me off for sure.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have to disagree on the value of the team point. With as much money as Stan has, why would he do ANYTHING to create more wealth given that argument? The value of what you have is HUGE to people like Stan whether you intend to sell it or not. Let's not kid ourselves. If nothing else, it is a gauge of how successful you were with that aspect of your career. Think that doesn't matter to him?

You can argue how he intends to build that value. Is it ROY or net value or...? But to think Stan doesn't care how much the Rams are worth isn't really logical.