Kroenke

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I honestly from memory can only think of one coach that's been fired before his contract was over and that was for the Nuggets.
If you're talking about Karl, Stan paid him while he was going through his cancer treatment. Karl's problem after that was that he could never seem to get out of the first round of the playoffs. The playoffs are much easier to get into in the NBA so just getting there wasn't enough. Karl was giving ultimatums over an extension and it didn't go in his favor.

I suppose we can take that to heart in that Stan made a move even though he was on the hook for Karl's contract. Even though Karl was a pretty good coach, pretty good still got him fired. My thought is that the contract extension talk means virtually nothing in the grand scheme of things. Stan is likely to let Fisher fulfill this contract but unless this team finishes strong, we will be looking at a new coach next season - extension or not. I also believe that if an extension is worked out, it will have outs for Stan.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you're talking about Karl, Stan paid him while he was going through his cancer treatment. Karl's problem after that was that he could never seem to get out of the first round of the playoffs. The playoffs are much easier to get into in the NBA so just getting there wasn't enough. Karl was giving ultimatums over an extension and it didn't go in his favor.

I suppose we can take that to heart in that Stan made a move even though he was on the hook for Karl's contract. Even though Karl was a pretty good coach, pretty good still got him fired. My thought is that the contract extension talk means virtually nothing in the grand scheme of things. Stan is likely to let Fisher fulfill this contract but unless this team finishes strong, we will be looking at a new coach next season - extension or not. I also believe that if an extension is worked out, it will have outs for Stan.
Actually I was thinking Brian Shaw, he was the previous coach to Malone right now. He was hired and fired with 23 games left in his 2nd season. Not sure of the details but yes the Karl situation is another example of Stan taking care of people going through stuff like that in life.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
There's one thing that I have noticed about super rich people is they hate spending money on Labor.

The rich will drop a fourtune on just about anything but labor

I would be willing to bet it will chap his ass if he has to buy out a contract.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's one thing that I have noticed about super rich people is they hate spending money on Labor.

As pointed out prior to this thread Fisher and his staff is one of the highest paid in the league. He doesn't hate paying coaches/managers for his teams money. What he probably hates is paying them to site on their ass. Another example of this would be the extension. Fisher hasn't been offered an extension. Neither has Arsne Wenger who's the great coach of his Arsenal team.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Actually I was thinking Brian Shaw, he was the previous coach to Malone right now. He was hired and fired with 23 games left in his 2nd season. Not sure of the details but yes the Karl situation is another example of Stan taking care of people going through stuff like that in life.
Ah. Didn't think about Shaw. Looks to add up to being willing to cut bait if he sees it needs cutting.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
As pointed out prior to this thread Fisher and his staff is one of the highest paid in the league. He doesn't hate paying coaches/managers for his teams money. What he probably hates is paying them to site on their ass. Another example of this would be the extension. Fisher hasn't been offered an extension. Neither has Arsne Wenger who's the great coach of his Arsenal team.

Thats why Stan will let the contract play out and why fisher has been hiring mostly from within.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stan already has all the money somebody could need. His great, great, great grandchildren will never have to work a day in their lives. The guy is in his 70's. Zero reason for him to be greedy. I don't buy it.
This is what I'm talking about . Billionaire or not he is still a man that should take pride in everything he owns . I know he hears and reads all the negative talk around the LA area . If he thinks the stadium was empty in St Louis wait till the Coliseum is empty in the first year there .

bluecoconuts

Legend
giphy.gif

But on a serious note, I doubt Stan is going to make a change just to make a change. If he and Demoff believe there is a better coach out there to have then they'll go and get him. At this point, who is better? Do you risk an unknown college coach? It's not as simple as just making a change. If Fisher doesn't produce results soon, Kroenke will replace him.

bluecoconuts

Legend
This is what I'm talking about . Billionaire or not he is still a man that should take pride in everything he owns . I know he hears and reads all the negative talk around the LA area . If he thinks the stadium was empty in St Louis wait till the Coliseum is empty in the first year there .

Doubtful that's going to happen anytime soon, regardless of how bad they are. They're still a new team, they're competitive enough, and it's easier to fill a stadium, even one that large, in a city like Los Angeles vs a smaller city with a smaller stadium.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Stan is likely to let Fisher fulfill this contract but unless this team finishes strong, we will be looking at a new coach next season - extension or not. I also believe that if an extension is worked out, it will have outs for Stan.
If/when it's time to cut ties, make it as inexpensive as possible.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Unless of course, it's for their billion dollar hobbie.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've never once met anyone who would rather lose than win...just saying.
That's what baffles me . Kroenke has watched enough football to know Fisher hasn't done a thing with this team .
I'm all for giving a guy time and second or even third chances . I do it all the time , but when it becomes obvious that it's not going to get any better it's time to step in . Even if Fisher was a cat , he'd be out of lives .

Ellard80

Legend
I read an article about 7 years ago... wish I could find it.

Most wealthy people who own sports teams do it for competition... they don't need the money.

I highly doubt that Stan doesn't care about winning.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If/when it's time to cut ties, make it as inexpensive as possible.
Meh... or don't. Just be decisive and show the fans and the team you expect to win. Pretty sure he doesn't need financial advice from me or anyone else. Y'know.... unlike all the other advice I give that he'd be stark raving mad not to listen to.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Kroenke has watched enough football to know Fisher hasn't done a thing with this team .

Well that's the thing, he has done something with this team. He inherited a team that averaged 3 wins a season over the prior 5 years. We are no longer a 3-13 team. We are now a 7-9 team.

but when it becomes obvious that it's not going to get any better it's time to step in

And there it is. Can we move from being a 7-9 team to a perennial playoff team with Jeff Fisher? If history is correct then I doubt it.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I've never once met anyone who would rather lose than win...just saying.

The trouble is you don't know what "winning" is to him...

some people care about popularity some don't, if winning is his "value" or bank account or placement on the forbes list then flied winning may be second to that...and something he will either give up for the above or something he may not even care about.
some of the greatest "leaders" and "successes" have gotten that way by ignoring it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The trouble is you don't know what "winning" is to him...

some people care about popularity some don't, if winning is his "value" or bank account or placement on the forbes list then flied winning may be second to that...and something he will either give up for the above or something he may not even care about.
some of the greatest "leaders" and "successes" have gotten that way by ignoring it.
I'm thinking this is a stretch. He already has the team and is building his shiny new stadium in LA. This is his crown jewel and I highly doubt he doesn't care about winning. Stan is highly competitive and I can't see him accepting losing with all he's gone through on this deal. But... proof will be in the pudding as they day.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm thinking this is a stretch. He already has the team and is building his shiny new stadium in LA. This is his crown jewel and I highly doubt he doesn't care about winning. Stan is highly competitive and I can't see him accepting losing with all he's gone through on this deal. But... proof will be in the pudding as they day.
Let's hope you're right because another year of Fisher would be tough to swallow. He has to be a dead man walking right now and I think he's feeling it . He deserves everything that's said about him . His arrogance has grown old . This team has too much talent to waste another year with him at the helm .

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Let's hope you're right because another year of Fisher would be tough to swallow. He has to be a dead man walking right now and I think he's feeling it . He deserves everything that's said about him . His arrogance has grown old . This team has too much talent to waste another year with him at the helm .
I'll admit. It would take a huge turn around for me to want to see him stay at this point. Let's hope short of that, we go a different direction AND IT WORKS THIS TIME.