Know how to tell when a team’s roster is really loaded?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Coaching overall is much better
train
I think on the defensive side of the ball definitely.
Martz was an incredible innovator that McVay has learned from.
Plus McVay has admitted to choking a tad under pressure in the playoffs.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I do not think Brockers is in a battle at all. I think most people (including you, no disrespect intended) overlook his contributions. He doesn’t get the flashy stats, but I can guarantee you that some of those flashy numbers AD put up are a direct result of what Brockers does on that line. He is the perfect player to do exactly what he’s asked to do, and that’s take on blocks so AD can be AD. He can certainly improve in the run game, but so can AD. IMO there is no battle there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I do not think Brockers is in a battle at all. I think most people (including you, no disrespect intended) overlook his contributions. He doesn’t get the flashy stats, but I can guarantee you that some of those flashy numbers AD put up are a direct result of what Brockers does on that line. He is the perfect player to do exactly what he’s asked to do, and that’s take on blocks so AD can be AD. He can certainly improve in the run game, but so can AD. IMO there is no battle there.

I expect a big year from Brock. But if you look at him honestly, he's a high salary player who underperformed last season and typically that's a really bad combination. And then of course our 5T depth chart is pretty damn strong.

So I think Brock himself is ready for a very competitive camp. I would be surprised if he's looking at it like he's got the job sewn up and that's a good thing.

dang

Legend
Like it or not Brockers is a cornerstone of the Rams defense for the 2019 season. At his contracted salary. PERIOD EXCLAMATION POINT. I for one am content with that situation.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect a big year from Brock. But if you look at him honestly, he's a high salary player who underperformed last season and typically that's a really bad combination.

Yes, he had an off year. I suspect it was a combination of being asked to lose weight (and doing so) and suffering some nagging injuries. It is entirely possible that nagging injuries become the new norm for him, but if not I expect him to have added back some of his muscle, even if not all of the weight, and bounces back to being a solidly above average DL. And then likely goes free agent, getting the Rams a decent draft pick after helping them to get a ring.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
- I am actually excited about the prospect of a 2 (or 3) headed monster in the backfield. I like the element of surprise, keeping Gurley fresh later into the season and a change of pace (using Brown to pound and Henderson to flash).
Agreed

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expect him to have added back some of his muscle, even if not all of the weight, and bounces back to being a solidly above average DL. And then likely goes free agent, getting the Rams a decent draft pick after helping them to get a ring.

Precisely how I see it. :cheers:

oldnotdead

Legend
I suggest people factor in his production in 2015, 2016, 2017 as well. Those are corner stone production? He was playing inside and they drafted Donald then made the move to a 3-4 hybrid scheme when Wade was hired in 2017. Brockers is a scheme specific player. They have moved him around because this scheme is not a particularly good fit for him. He's a FA next year and his best fit is as a 4-3 DT playing a 3T. He's probably got 4 good years left in him. It's going to come down to stay making less but with a chance for a ring or try for one more fat contract. As a 4-3 DT 3T he can probably get $10 - $12M a year contract. I still think they drafted JFM specifically to replace Brockers and I think he will next year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suggest people factor in his production in 2015, 2016, 2017 as well. Those are corner stone production? He was playing inside and they drafted Donald then made the move to a 3-4 hybrid scheme when Wade was hired in 2017. Brockers is a scheme specific player. They have moved him around because this scheme is not a particularly good fit for him. He's a FA next year and his best fit is as a 4-3 DT playing a 3T. He's probably got 4 good years left in him. It's going to come down to stay making less but with a chance for a ring or try for one more fat contract. As a 4-3 DT 3T he can probably get $10 - $12M a year contract. I still think they drafted JFM specifically to replace Brockers and I think he will next year.

No, they moved him to DE because when the Rams switched to the 3-4 in 2017 the DEs opposite Brockers kind of were sucking, so they moved Brockers to DE from NT because he was the only decent option a couple of games into the season. They kept him there in 2018, but he had nagging injuries and didn't play as well as he had in 2017.

He'll be gone after this season, because he's too expensive. They've been drafting and training replacements . They paid his roster bonus already, and of course part of his cap hit is the pro-rated signing bonus, but they will need his cap space next season to resign other players. They'll let him walk and take the comp pick for 2021. But he's done well at times in both the 4-3 as a DT and in 2017 in the 3-4 as a DE.

dang

Legend
Again 2019 is THIS year. Brockers, Matthews, Weddle, Peters , Talib will be a big part of the Rams defense THIS year. 2020 is NEXT year. They may or may not be ANY part of the Rams NEXT year but for THIS year they are part of a loaded Rams defense.