Knee Brace Holding Gurley Back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm loving Tavon, I just wish there were 15 plays like that....
Tavon vs Gurley in speed?? hmm, I still think Tavon can get out on anybody...but get run down...Gurley gets him in the 100m. Easy.....

If not for penalties, there would be many more plays like this. I'm all in on TA this season. He finally has complementary players and a QB. Not to mention no more Schotty! 5 plays a game Schotty?! 5?! :mad:

Yeah, tavon is all burst. His legs are too short for long distance speed. He still gets it done by causing misses when he can though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, and I wish he would use that speed instead of trying to wiggle when it. Isn't always necessary.

Have we ever seen him just hit top gear and go? I think the fastest I have seen him run was this years Seattle kick return.
But that's his game. He's an ankle breaker - not a flat out blazer. He can run fast but it is his ability to set up defenders that makes him dangerous. We're starting to see more of that ability and my guess is that it will continue to grow.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
On his big runs i didn't think Gurley looked to have anything even close to Austin-like speed... Admittedly, I must be wrong because virtually everybody says otherwise...I've just never seen anything that impressed me like the punt return when he somehow atayed inbounds...He looked to be at top speed when suddenly he almot got nailed but accelerated into another gear and it was turbo time..Hope I see that in Gurley...I can't call him TG anything, i just don't like that kind of stuff..It's gotten so common it's boring to me...Kind of how I feel about most of the silly "celebrations" ( at least to me,the really old guy)...

Before the draft, since he wouldn't be running the 40, they went and looked at tape on him and on one play he covered the last 40 yards of a long run in under 4.2. Now that doesn't indicate what his 40 times would be but the tape showed he had great top end speed. Any decent highlight video from his college days will who clearly show that he is rarely caught from behind.
Tavon is definitely quicker than Gurley but Gurley has more top speed. Tavon ran the 100m in 11.43 seconds in high school while Gurley ran it in 10.64 seconds. There is a reason Gurley went to the Junior Olympics, the guy was a legitimate track star.

Here is a link to an ESPN story and in the story there is this tidbit:
The Cardinals found out the hard way that Gurley's unique combination of size (6-foot-1, 227 pounds) and speed (he has reportedly clocked a sub-4.3 40) could make him a headache for NFC West defenses. He broke loose for runs of 52, 30, 23 and 20 yards. His 106 fourth-quarter yards -- on just nine carries -- were the most by a Ram since Eric Dickerson's 124 on Nov. 25, 1984, and the most by a first-round rookie running back since Adrian Peterson in 2007.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-made-todd-gurley-feel-like-todd-gurley-again

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well, the brace doesn't really have any impact on ACL and MCL stability. Those ligaments are within the knee. Braces usually more for stability of the patella. Not gonna prevent another tear.

And from exp, braces do cut your speed.

Can't wait till he's ready to ditch it.
Interesting. Makes me feel better about him potentially not playing with it on Sunday.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It looks like he participated in the 2011 world youth championships. There's pictures of it, but I couldn't find a video.

Todd_Gurley_110_semi_thumb.jpg
The number he's wearing, 834, I'll bet he has that many yards rushing by Mid Season!!:D

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I still like the ideal of getting the packers used to the running style of the trio of Mason-Austin & Cunningham heavy in the first half & then give the Packers a heavy dose of Gurley in the 2nd half.

Give them lots of Gurley from the start, he will wear out the D. Mason will be more effective once Gurley has dealt some punishment.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Who is TG3?

I believe his name is Todd Gurley.

His nickname is TG30. He used to wear #3 for Georgia, so that's why people called him TG3. Now he's TG30. Better than the Gurley Man, right? :p

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't. If active, the fresh legs of Trey Watts is a better alternative, IMO.

That said, Stacy (averaging 1.7 ypc so far this year) might become available again once Steven Ridley gets healthy.

Different teams, different stats, and between Tre Watts and Zac Stacy, completely different roles.

Stacy is shorter and still wins out at weight, lower center of gravity, and the guy I'd want to throw in the mix to wear down the opposition's defense.

First of all, Stacy is water under the bridge. Watts is a Ram so I will take him. In addition, Stacy wouldn't be #3 on the Yets depth chart and have a total of 36 yards from scrimmage if he was all that. I liked Stacy while he was a Ram but saying he wins out isn't exactly accurate. He is averaging 4 yds per pass reception and 1.4 per carry which is on par receiving for the team but well below the 2 RBs in front of him when it comes to carries. I realize we all scratched our heads and assumed that he fell out of favor with Fish last year but maybe it was he who was not getting it done. Maybe he's just an average RB that had a decent rookie season.

Nothing against Zac but if he's not getting it done in NY - what makes anyone think he would get it done here with the lack of holes our line has been producing? And maybe I'm missing something but how does either one of them supplant Mason or Benny?

Last edited:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I wonder what the record is for 100+yrd qtrs? Its gonna be fun to watch Gurley rack up 100+yrd qtrs for a long time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
With the Packers, we need to score some points. I'd give them a heavy dose of Gurley in both halves. I'd give them as much Gurley as Gurley can handle.
Yeah - I actually agree with the reality of this. We have to establish the run and try to get up on GB. Three and outs don't wear anyone down except our own defense. Get the running game going and I think you will find that our offense as a whole starts clicking early. Then you can give the rock to any of our RBs and they will likely see more space.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I guess I'm like a nervous Dad wondering when I should take the training wheels off the bike when it comes to Gurley and his knee brace. If he can run as well as he did with it on last week, I'd just as soon let him wear it this week and try to go commando after the bye week. I know the thing is probably more of a placebo at this point than serving any other benefit but it's a placebo to me too. :icare:

Athos

Legend
Again, the brace is there for stability of the entire leg pretty much, but mostly there to protect against lateral and medial hyper extensions and depending on the design, posterior and anterior if it has hindges. A soft brace brace is basically just gonna be a compression sleeve for the leg. It'll pop the patella back in if it pops out.

If it's gonna tear, it'll tear. Brace won't stop that.

Only worry is have is if he compensated with his other leg while wearing the brace. If his gait changed at all, that's a worry.

I'm sure he'll be practicing without it before he plays a game without it.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
It looks like he participated in the 2011 world youth championships. There's pictures of it, but I couldn't find a video.

Todd_Gurley_110_semi_thumb.jpg
Nice pic. I don't know if anyone else is a fan of track and field but if it had been Gurley's favorite sport, no doubt he'd be going to Rio next year.

Side note -
If you've never been, track meets are fun sporting events to attend. They don't cost much, if anything, are an all day event and there is nothing better than women's polevaulting... Maybe the steeplechase which I basically watch hoping someone is all worn out and falls in the water.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I see what you are saying. I just disagree with the your take on Stacy vs. the others. Gurley and Cunningham can do what you say Stacy does. Mason, too. Watts vs. Stacy? IMO, a back with better vision and abilities to keep defenders honest is far more effective than a 3 yard and a cloud of dust type of back who tended to run up the back of his Olinemen at times. Keeping a defense on the field does more to wear them out, IMO.
I agree that moving the chains wears out defenses more. I just don't think anyone was going anywhere until the line was able to open up the holes, as was evidenced by the first three quarters against the Cardinals. Our offense looked pitiful against Washington and Pittsburgh before that and you can't blame even one of those runs on Stacy, and I'm not saying that he would have changed anything, but I was watching, 1, 2, 3 ok punt with the rest of you :)