Knee Brace Holding Gurley Back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That puts Gurley right there with Tavon, a hair slower, at 227 pounds. :eek:

Tavon ran in the 4.2s. I don't think Gurley has Tavon speed. But Gurley is very very fast. Might have Peterson speed after seeing him against Arizona.

jjab360

Legend
No way Gurley gets caught on that run if he's in his final form.
filepicker%2Fmj2mOgDXR7KPBMyqz1Nx_tumblr_m4uho1EKZq1r8tyjfo1_500.gif

C'mon, I know I wasn't the only one thinking it. ;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Tavon ran in the 4.2s. I don't think Gurley has Tavon speed. But Gurley is very very fast. Might have Peterson speed after seeing him against Arizona.

Yeah, and I wish he would use that speed instead of trying to wiggle when it. Isn't always necessary.

Have we ever seen him just hit top gear and go? I think the fastest I have seen him run was this years Seattle kick return.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Sorry, I'm a UGA student/fan and we call him TG3 here because he wore the number 3 at Georgia. Old habits die hard I guess. I'll have to refer to him as TG30 from now on.

Don't fret these old crotchety fans, you call them as you see them. As a Ram fan though, it may be a little close to RG3.

TG30 is perfect and YOU called that he was slowed and had another gear. Nice job. Now we know why. Better a brace than a knee!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yeah, and I wish he would use that speed instead of trying to wiggle when it. Isn't always necessary.

Have we ever seen him just hit top gear and go? I think the fastest I have seen him run was this years Seattle kick return.

I swear dude, SO MANY FANS who watch this guy and preach the anti-wiggle. (n) TA NEVER wiggles without purpose.

Yes, we have seen him use his speed many many many many many many times. He wiggles when he needs a hole or he's avoiding the big hit. That's it. Play's dead? Wiggle and sometimes win. About to be laid out? Wiggle or high step. It's both his opportunity to make a play and skill in stopping a play against him. He's like 93 LBS wet. Let the kid play his game! (y)

PURE SPEED plays are what he does!

820966378.gif

820969870.gif

TavonAustin65YardTD.gif

820965420.gif

No one ever complains about the wiggle when it breaks him free and he gouges a D.

Go back and watch every TA play you can find both colledge and NFL. He KILLS with speed and he KILLS with wiggle, but the wiggle is NEVER used just to make a play, it's used to SAVE a play.

Trust me. Look. (y)

Last edited:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
That puts Gurley right there with Tavon, a hair slower, at 227 pounds. :eek:

On his big runs i didn't think Gurley looked to have anything even close to Austin-like speed... Admittedly, I must be wrong because virtually everybody says otherwise...I've just never seen anything that impressed me like the punt return when he somehow atayed inbounds...He looked to be at top speed when suddenly he almot got nailed but accelerated into another gear and it was turbo time..Hope I see that in Gurley...I can't call him TG anything, i just don't like that kind of stuff..It's gotten so common it's boring to me...Kind of how I feel about most of the silly "celebrations" ( at least to me,the really old guy)...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

never understood the complaints about tavon on punt returns running sideways to find a hole. if there was a hole in front of him you don't think he would hit it straight ahead? i'll give up 5 yards to try and find 20+ yards. his return yardage speaks for itself.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On his big runs i didn't think Gurley looked to have anything even close to Austin-like speed... Admittedly, I must be wrong because virtually everybody says otherwise...I've just never seen anything that impressed me like the punt return when he somehow atayed inbounds...He looked to be at top speed when suddenly he almot got nailed but accelerated into another gear and it was turbo time..Hope I see that in Gurley...I can't call him TG anything, i just don't like that kind of stuff..It's gotten so common it's boring to me...Kind of how I feel about most of the silly "celebrations" ( at least to me,the really old guy)...

gurley is a big man with smooth long strides. tavon needs 4 strides for every 1 of gurley's strides. he will always look like he's going much faster but their speed is probably close than we think. usain bolt doesn't look like he's running that fast until you see him zoom past the competition.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

every time i see this guy talk i want to hug him and say, "thank god the rams drafted you".

Athos

Legend
Well, the brace doesn't really have any impact on ACL and MCL stability. Those ligaments are within the knee. Braces usually more for stability of the patella. Not gonna prevent another tear.

And from exp, braces do cut your speed.

Can't wait till he's ready to ditch it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I swear dude, SO MANY FANS who watch this guy and preach the anti-wiggle. (n) TA NEVER wiggles without purpose.

Yes, we have seen him use his speed many many many many many many times. He wiggles when he needs a hole or he's avoiding the big hit. That's it. Play's dead? Wiggle and sometimes win. About to be laid out? Wiggle or high step. It's both his opportunity to make a play and skill in stopping a play against him. He's like 93 LBS wet. Let the kid play his game! (y)

PURE SPEED plays are what he does!

820966378.gif

820969870.gif

TavonAustin65YardTD.gif

820965420.gif

No one ever complains about the wiggle when it breaks him free and he gouges a D.

Go back and watch every TA play you can find both colledge and NFL. He KILLS with speed and he KILLS with wiggle, but the wiggle is NEVER used just to make a play, it's used to SAVE a play.

Trust me. Look. (y)

I forgot about the Colts game. That was was a revelation of sorts. It gave us all so much hope. However on his punt returns so many times he stands there trying to figure out what to do and does the high step or something and lets the players gets close and then gains no yards. I am not the only one that says they wish he would just start out running straight up field and get on top of the defense instead of running sideways.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor

never understood the complaints about tavon on punt returns running sideways to find a hole. if there was a hole in front of him you don't think he would hit it straight ahead? i'll give up 5 yards to try and find 20+ yards. his return yardage speaks for itself.

just watched an old rams vs falcons game 1983 on youtube. billy white shoes johnson went side to side on the field and about 10 yards backwards until he found a hole and gained 15 yards +. tavon is the most fun return man for the Rams since tony horne.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I still like the ideal of getting the packers used to the running style of the trio of Mason-Austin & Cunningham heavy in the first half & then give the Packers a heavy dose of Gurley in the 2nd half.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I disagree. A lot of the times, it is necessary and him having both allows him to gain yardage that isn't there for 99.9% of the players in this league.

Once you hit that top gear, it's going to be harder for you to make that quick, explosive cut.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still like the ideal of getting the packers used to the running style of the trio of Mason-Austin & Cunningham heavy in the first half & then give the Packers a heavy dose of Gurley in the 2nd half.

With the Packers, we need to score some points. I'd give them a heavy dose of Gurley in both halves. I'd give them as much Gurley as Gurley can handle.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I really wish we still had Zac Stacy. Oh well. I was going to say that it might have more to do with fresh legs.

It just seemed like Tavon Austin was featured more on offense than special teams last week.

jap

Legend
He definitely looked like he was off a couple Warp levels last weekend. Obviously, we want the final form eventually. We want a guy who can run through arm tackles, bounce off hits, plow over LB's and run away from DB's. Then, with the entire opposing defense keying on him, you fake to him and feature your other offensive players and blow up the scoreboard.