Klein: Rams could not wait for Kyle Shanahan with McVay in the wings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
5896d15d419f8.image.jpg

Rams could not wait for Kyle Shanahan with McVay in the wings
By Gary Klein

HOUSTON — Two offensive coordinators for Super Bowl-bound teams were among those in the mix when the Los Angeles Rams began their coaching search.

The Rams interviewed New England’s Josh McDaniels. A snowstorm dashed a scheduled meeting with Atlanta’s Kyle Shanahan.

Ultimately, the Rams hired Sean McVay, making the 31-year-old the youngest coach in NFL history.

“Sean’s a great coach and a good friend of mine,” Shanahan said Monday night, “and he’ll do a hell of a job.”

Still, Rams fans will get a glimpse Sunday of what might have been when the Patriots play the Falcons in Super Bowl LI at NRG Stadium.

McDaniels, 40, helped the Patriots defeat the Rams, 26-10, at Gillette Stadium on Dec. 4. The Rams were among several teams that interviewed him, but he is expected to return to the Patriots next season.

Shanahan, 37, helped direct the Falcons to a 42-14 victory over the Rams in a Dec. 11 game that ended Jeff Fisher’s four-plus seasons as coach. Shanahan is the new coach of the San Francisco 49ers, though NFL policy forbids the team to announce the hire until after the Super Bowl.

“Nothing is set in stone until I get a chance to sit down and make something official,” Shanahan said, adding, “Once I do get that opportunity and things work out, it’s something I’ve waited for my whole life.”

The Rams apparently could not wait on Shanahan.

Kevin Demoff, the Rams’ vice president for football operations, General Manager Les Snead and senior assistant Tony Pastoors met with McDaniels on Jan. 7 in New England. They were scheduled to fly to Atlanta to interview Shanahan, but weather nixed their itinerary.

They scrapped plans to reschedule with Shanahan after interviewing McVay for a second time and offering the former Washington Redskins’ offensive coordinator the job.

Shanahan said he was “not totally” disappointed when his initial interview with the Rams was postponed. He had scheduled interviews with four teams during two off days before beginning work for a playoff game against Seattle. The first three interviews were “pretty exhausting,” he said. He never got a chance to speak with the Rams.

“It was just going to be too much of an issue with us getting ready for Seattle the next day,” he said. “But I had to move on.

“Could have postponed it to another week but they had moved on and got someone.”

Shanahan said he has since played phone tag with McVay, but they have texted.

“I’m extremely proud of Sean,” Shanahan said. “He’s a great dude and deserves it all.”

McVay will be working with Snead, who survived Fisher’s dismissal.

Snead has taken cues from Thomas Dimitroff, the Falcons’ general manager since 2008. Snead worked under Dimitroff with the Falcons before the Rams hired him in 2012 and paired him with Fisher.

The Falcons retained Dimitroff after they fired former coach Mike Smith and hired Dan Quinn in 2015.

Two years later, the Falcons are in the Super Bowl.

“Thomas and I are close,” Snead said. “We talk a good bit.”

Snead faces “an interesting navigation” moving forward, Dimitroff said. He encouraged Snead to “stick by what you believe in” as he continued to build the team.

“When you’re the last man standing,” Dimitroff said, “there’s a lot of things that come your way and there’s a lot mines and potholes that you’ve got to dodge because a lot of people are going to be throwing criticism toward you.”

Dimitroff said he likes McVay and “it’s going to be a great tandem” with Snead.

“They both have personalities that I think can get along very well,” Dimitroff said. “You can’t, in any way, even overestimate the importance of a good working relationship between a GM and a head coach.”

[www.mcalesternews.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again some will wonder why the Rams scheduled their interview with Kyle Shanahan last, but that actually made sense because that way you could interview him longer. Of course we will never know what would have happened if they interviewed Shanahan, however, McVay is putting together a solid staff and Shanahan will be swimming upstream from the outset to get his staff in place right from the outset.

In McVay recent interview he had some great things to say about Les Snead as Keyshawn Johnson stated he felt the Rams did not have a solid hierarchy in place like the Dolphins as McVay made a comparrison to the Gase hiring, which is funny because before this year Mike Tannenbaum of the Dolphins was never looked upon very highly as a talent elevator.

Loved how McVay stated he and Snead got along fantastically and when they asked McVay about control over personnel, McVay responded by saying "I'm a football coach and I really enjoy that, I did not want to be a General Manager." Again this was very similar to what the Falcons did when they hired Dan Quinn, Dimitroff was on the hot seat, but Quinn and Dimitroff got along really well and although the Falcons had won before, Snead now is General Manager more in name only and he better produce.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Honestly, I wanted Shanahan. Only because his body of work isn't as limited as McVay's. Both have had success in their history, so I'm ok with McVay. Its just that his experience is less.

I think both have their work cut out. I believe McVay will be in better position to win early on. He'll have a good defense to keep games close. He'll have a lot of work with the offense but I think the previous system was so bad and out dated, a system geared to today's NFL offense will be an improvement right away.

Both teams have some rebuilding to do. But the 49ers will need a quarterback. We know both of theirs aren't that good. At least with Goff, we don't know yet. So there is hope.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If the rumors that Atlanta will be blocking most/all of their staff from leaving the team (other than for HC positionso since they can't) are true, that makes the McVay hire that much better.

The only thing that worried me about Sean was the age and his ability to assemble a staff. I like his staff so far, so I'm happy. Kyle I had more reservations about, personality wise, and right now it looks as if we made the right choice.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Kyle I had more reservations about, personality wise, and right now it looks as if we made the right choice.

Funny, I have read much about this and many have posted about Shanahan's personality alienating players and McVay being more inclusive. IMO, myself in the corporate world I have evolved as a leader being more humbled and being all about inclusion and giving credit to everyone else for the success besides myself, however, I do truly miss the arrogance I used ot have.

I believe both will be very good Head Football Coaches and we will have plenty of time to match them up against each other, but John Robinson was a very good football coach, however, Bill Walsh was better, let's hope this time the Los Angeles Rams get the edge.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It also seems like the Rams moving quickly on McVay allowed them to pick up the best assistants. They've been able to grab some quality assistant coaches. The 49ers are waiting and I wonder if the best options haven't already been hired elsewhere.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Shanahan said he was “not totally” disappointed when his initial interview with the Rams was postponed.

A few years from now he will be. IMO the Rams have a far better organization than most teams due to Kroenke being the owner. Stan didn't hit on his first HC hire, but it wasn't a bad hire either and he demonstrated patience in allowing Fish a full look. This time around he's got a staff in place that will get him the wins he deserves, and at some point here the media is going to realize how good the Rams are from that perspective.

“They both have personalities that I think can get along very well,” Dimitroff said. “You can’t, in any way, even overestimate the importance of a good working relationship between a GM and a head coach.”

Can't help but read between the lines there...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Honestly, I wanted Shanahan. Only because his body of work isn't as limited as McVay's. Both have had success in their history, so I'm ok with McVay. Its just that his experience is less.

I think both have their work cut out. I believe McVay will be in better position to win early on. He'll have a good defense to keep games close. He'll have a lot of work with the offense but I think the previous system was so bad and out dated, a system geared to today's NFL offense will be an improvement right away.

Both teams have some rebuilding to do. But the 49ers will need a quarterback. We know both of theirs aren't that good. At least with Goff, we don't know yet. So there is hope.

I believe they hit a home run with McVay. History demonstrates you just don't know which of these guys are going to be great as head coaches, however there does seem to be a connection with strong communication and leadership skills. And from that perspective our new HC looks to have a real nice shot.

And while I don't want to be unfair to Shanahan, there are a lot of rumors surrounding him being difficult to work with and thin skinned. He might need to learn to shore up those things before he finds the success that awaits him in the NFL. Look at last year with the Falcons for example, where he and Matty were about at each others' throats due to Matty not liking the offensive design. They famously had to sit down in the offseason and hash it out to get to where they are now, where he was allowed more pocket stuff in the offense.

Granted that's a testament to Shanny as well. But just pointing out it's not like he didn't have questions along with that greater amount of experience.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
because before this year Mike Tannenbaum of the Dolphins was never looked upon very highly as a talent elevator.
Listening to him from a few years ago...on television...I thought he was a pretty sharp football mind.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Listening to him from a few years ago...on television...I thought he was a pretty sharp football mind.

More of a cap guy than a personnel guru and he was lambasted in New York for what he did with the Jets, but again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Im very excited about the rams hire. From everything i read McVay was at the top of San Fran's list as well. Im happy they did what it took to get their guy.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After Shannys vaunted offense shit the bed last night .,... im glad we got McVay ,,,ive seen far too many offensive meltdowns as a ram fan and watching that game reminded me of many a rams game especially as the 2nd half started

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
No one's talking about the genius that couldn't close out a game anymore.

:mrburnsevil:

jap

Legend
No one's talking about the genius that couldn't close out a game anymore.

:mrburnsevil:

Kyle is still young. You better believe he knows now that when you have a good team on the ropes in a do or die situation, you go for the kill. It wasn't just the Falcons' offense that faltered: the defense lessened their intensity as well. You can't do that against a veteran QB that knows how to come back.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More of a cap guy than a personnel guru and he was lambasted in New York for what he did with the Jets, but again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
But remember that he was also praised in NY when they were reaching AFC championship games. Team took a nosedive as soon as he left.
In his 6 seasons as GM (2006-2001) they had 4 winning seasons, 1 8-8 year and 1 losing season with 3 trips to the playoffs, 2 to AFC champ game. Thus despite numerous QB's and HC.
He did a really good job there but was bounced when Woody Johnson chose to keep Rex Ryan over him. The result? 1 winning season in 5 years since he left....

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The coaches choked that game away last night when they called that ridiculous pass play when they were on the 23 yard line. I assume the play call was Kyle's genius. Run the ball several times and eat time and timeouts... then kick the easy field goal and lead the game by 11 points with very little time left.

BIGGEST CHOKE JOB EVER. Orchestrated by Kyle.

Glad he's not going to be controlling our team.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
The coaches choked that game away last night when they called that ridiculous pass play when they were on the 23 yard line. I assume the play call was Kyle's genius. Run the ball several times and eat time and timeouts... then kick the easy field goal and lead the game by 11 points with very little time left.

BIGGEST CHOKE JOB EVER. Orchestrated by Kyle.

Glad he's not going to be controlling our team.
@Selassie I, you nailed it. I would think Quinn was experienced enough to tell Kyle run the ball which runs the clock and then give yourself a chance to go up by 11. SMH at the play calling. Also, the 2nd and 3rd worst things happened during that sequence of events (1st would have been a turnover.) Ryan takes a sack and Matthews gets called for holding. What the hell were the coaches thinking? Tough lesson to learn. This loss is going to set them back quite a bit next year, and add to it losing your OC and possibly another coach or two. Jimmy Johnson mentioned in the post-game show the Falcons will be back in the SB next year. After last night, they will be lucky to just get back into the playoffs.

I also noticed during the 4th quarter Ryan looked panicked at times. There were a couple sequences where it looked like chaos getting the play in and then lined up. All comes down to lack of experience by the Falcons. When the Patriots cut it to 8, I told my wife the Falcons are going to blow this.