Klein: From USC to Buffalo and back, these former teammates know the drill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The practice matchup has played out thousands of times in more than seven years, first when they were teenage teammates at USC, then as young pros with the Buffalo Bills and now as NFL veterans preparing for their first season with the Rams.

Cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman bends his knees, stares directly across the line of scrimmage at receiver Robert Woods and readies for a challenge.

It happened again during the Rams’ organized team activities last week.

On a third-down play near the goal line, Woods ran a slant pattern into the end zone. Robey-Coleman matched him stride for stride as Woods anticipated a pass from quarterback Jared Goff.

The 5-foot-8, 178-pound Florida native started for three seasons at USC before ignoring the advice of coaches and NFL evaluators and making himself available for the 2013 NFL draft after his junior year.

After going unselected, he said he had only a moment of regret about giving up his final year of college eligibility.

“It crossed my mind for one second,” he said.

But the opportunity to make a team and earn an NFL salary kept him motivated: “I told myself, ‘You’ve just got to capitalize. You not going in draft doesn’t determine who you really are.’”

Robey-Coleman made the Bills as a rookie and played in all 32 games his first two seasons as a nickel back and on special teams. In 2015, the Bills signed him to a two-year, $4.1-million extension.

After the 2015 season, he changed his name from Robey to Robey-Coleman in honor of his late mother, the former Maxine Coleman, who died from a heart attack during his senior year of high school.

Last season against the Rams, Robey-Coleman had a career-changing game at the Coliseum. With the score 16-16 late in the third quarter, he intercepted a pass by Case Keenum and returned it 41 yards for a touchdown. He added another interception late to seal a 30-19 Bills victory.

Rams general manager Les Snead recalled the performance when he saw Robey-Coleman’s name surprisingly appear on the NFL transactions wire before the start of free agency. The Bills had released him in a cost-cutting move.

“You immediately go back to, ‘Oh, yeah, there’s a pick-six and we lived it,’” Snead said, adding, “The play meant something, but what it also meant is you definitely go back and watch the film and review his history.”

Robey-Coleman is “undersized,” Snead said, but the executive saw a determined and competitive player who became a mainstay for the Bills in the nickel role. And with the Rams planning to move Lamarcus Joyner from slot corner to free safety, they were in the market for proven defensive backs.

“Any time that you add depth like a Nickell does add, where he’s played a lot of football, it gives you some versatility to move a special player like Lamarcus around,” coach Sean McVay said.

The Rams, Robey-Coleman said, were a good fit for him professionally and because the move brought him closer to USC. He attended spring semester classes and is close to earning his degree, a promise he made to his mother.

Woods, who graduated from USC last year, said he was happy to be reunited with Robey and continue their daily duels.

“He’s very, very smart — someone I can talk to on the side after plays,” Woods said. “It’s a great competition.”

Robey-Coleman considers his long association with Woods, completing his education and his return to Los Angeles something else.

“I’m just so grateful,” he said. “This is a blessing.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-robey-coleman-woods-rams-20170603-story.html

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm just struck by HOW MUCH different this off-season is than last.

I know other guys were all in and that's fine, but what I saw last year was just... well, I wasn't positive about our prospects to put it kindly.

This year, it's not all kumbaya, but rather, we keep reading legit stories about a team building a common purpose with each person wanting to build something special.

That is a key component to building championships and it's so different from last year that at moments when I read stories like above, I get emotional whiplash.

Just loving the changes.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
I'm trying to keep my excitement in check... but I'm enjoying the direction this team is heading

Ram65

Legend
Nickell Robey-Coleman is an under the radar important signing. Signing him to a one year deal allows the Rams to move Joyner over to FS. Reports from D Farr have Joyner looking good at FS in OTAs. Would have liked a 2 year deal but, he is a USC guy and with Woods here he feels right at home. Earlier reports have him as a quick if smaller Nickel back that is a hard worker. Rams got a little luck with the Bills letting him go.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nickell Robey-Coleman is an under the radar important signing.

I just chuckle everytime they print that Nickell plays Nickle...I don't know why I find that so damn amusing before, during and after Scotch.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
2nd best FA signing behind Whitworth IMO...I always liked his game at SC....To see him dominate us last year was kinda rough...Not the greatest tackler...but really covers...I actually thought he was better than JJ...Until I saw JJ play...I miss Jenkins.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The more I read about this pair, and the entire New 90 man Roster the more pumped-up I get!!(y) Especially sense there will be not cuts until the final week of pre-season!
I can't wait for pre-season to begin!!

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg
I really liked both players at USC. I was super bummed when Nickell left after his junior season. I know all NFL corners are ridiculous athletes, but I think he's a ridiculous athlete's ridiculous athlete. He doesn't have the two-way offensive skills or the top-end speed of Adoree Jackson, but overall he's a similar specimen.

He and Adoree are the two best CBs in recent memory out of 'SC.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2nd best FA signing behind Whitworth IMO...I always liked his game at SC....To see him dominate us last year was kinda rough...Not the greatest tackler...but really covers...I actually thought he was better than JJ...Until I saw JJ play...I miss Jenkins.
Champ, I miss him too, but when he was with us would I be wrong to say he was a bit of a slacker as far as effort on every play? He leaves the Rams and actually appears to be giving 100% on every play for his first year paycheck with the Giants. He might start slacking off again either this season or next season when he gets back to his old self. Who can forget this one
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdD54Hjwjzs

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I just chuckle everytime they print that Nickell plays Nickle...I don't know why I find that so damn amusing before, during and after Scotch.
It's certainly easier for him to remember what position he plays.
It doesn't have to stop and pause as he runs onto the field.

He goes right to the nickel baby! :D