Klein: Eric Dickerson, Jackie Slater attend Rams Legends event in a show of team unity across eras

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Eric Dickerson, Jackie Slater attend Rams Legends event in a show of team unity across eras

By Gary Klein

It’s been nearly 70 years since Jim Hardy played quarterback for the Rams.

But at 94, Hardy still apparently maintains his skills.

“Even to this late date, I’ll get out in the neighborhood and punt and pass with the local kids,” Hardy said Thursday during a Rams Legends reunion event in Thousand Oaks. ”I can still throw a tight spiral and turn my punts around.

“I just don’t want to get hit anymore.”

Hardy, a USC star before playing for the Rams from 1946 to 1948, was among about 50 former Rams players from the Los Angeles and St. Louis eras who met current players and coaches and sat in on meetings.

Pro Football Hall of Famers Eric Dickerson, Jackie Slater, Orlando Pace and Tom Mack were among the attendees.

Dickerson was at the center of controversy last season when he became embroiled in a conflict with former coach Jeff Fisher. The dust-up sprung from his criticism of the team and his request for extra sideline passes to a game.

New coach Sean McVay has said that he welcomed Dickerson and former Rams players.

The three-day Legends event is an attempt to “bridge the gap” between generations, to allow former players to interact with current players and coaches and reconnect with teammates they might not have seen for years, said Kyle Eversgerd, the Rams’ director of external football affairs.

“When you have a guy that played in the 70s standing next to a guy that played in the 2000s, it’s just a really unique way to build the NFL brotherhood, as we call it, specifically the Rams brotherhood,” Eversgerd said.

Torry Holt earned Pro Bowl recognition seven times during his 10 seasons as a Rams receiver. He said he enjoyed speaking with Rams receivers such as rookie Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds.

“I’m a Ram forever,” said Holt, a 1999 first-round pick who won a Super Bowl title as a rookie.“Whether we’re in St. Louis, whether we’re here, whether we’re in Cleveland. Hell, if we’re on the moon.

“I’m a Ram, so it feels good to get back home.”

Slater, an offensive tackle who played for the Rams from 1976 to 1995, said bringing together players from the Los Angeles and St. Louis eras “gives you kind of a harmonious feeling and what it means to have played with this organization.”

During an offensive line meeting, Slater said the former linemen “all stood up and gave our two cents on what we thought was important.”

Nolan Cromwell, a safety who played for the Rams from 1977 to 1987, was encouraged by the “We Not Me” slogan that McVay has adopted.

“When I played with guys, we were all talking, it was all we played for each other, we played together,” Cromwell said. “And I think the thing has really swung to a ‘Hey, look at me’ concept in today’s game, and I hope this message gets across to the team and he’s able to preach and they go with it.”

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Mackeyser pounded the table here at ROD for Sean McVay and to this point he's been absolutely outstanding and the shot in the arm this organization truly needed. Right down to his tee shirts which are amazing.
mcvay-170523_RamsOTA_121.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Eric Dickerson, Jackie Slater attend Rams Legends event in a show of team unity across eras

By Gary Klein

It’s been nearly 70 years since Jim Hardy played quarterback for the Rams.

But at 94, Hardy still apparently maintains his skills.

“Even to this late date, I’ll get out in the neighborhood and punt and pass with the local kids,” Hardy said Thursday during a Rams Legends reunion event in Thousand Oaks. ”I can still throw a tight spiral and turn my punts around.

“I just don’t want to get hit anymore.”

Hardy, a USC star before playing for the Rams from 1946 to 1948, was among about 50 former Rams players from the Los Angeles and St. Louis eras who met current players and coaches and sat in on meetings.

Pro Football Hall of Famers Eric Dickerson, Jackie Slater, Orlando Pace and Tom Mack were among the attendees.

Dickerson was at the center of controversy last season when he became embroiled in a conflict with former coach Jeff Fisher. The dust-up sprung from his criticism of the team and his request for extra sideline passes to a game.

New coach Sean McVay has said that he welcomed Dickerson and former Rams players.

The three-day Legends event is an attempt to “bridge the gap” between generations, to allow former players to interact with current players and coaches and reconnect with teammates they might not have seen for years, said Kyle Eversgerd, the Rams’ director of external football affairs.

“When you have a guy that played in the 70s standing next to a guy that played in the 2000s, it’s just a really unique way to build the NFL brotherhood, as we call it, specifically the Rams brotherhood,” Eversgerd said.

Torry Holt earned Pro Bowl recognition seven times during his 10 seasons as a Rams receiver. He said he enjoyed speaking with Rams receivers such as rookie Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds.

“I’m a Ram forever,” said Holt, a 1999 first-round pick who won a Super Bowl title as a rookie.“Whether we’re in St. Louis, whether we’re here, whether we’re in Cleveland. Hell, if we’re on the moon.

“I’m a Ram, so it feels good to get back home.”

Slater, an offensive tackle who played for the Rams from 1976 to 1995, said bringing together players from the Los Angeles and St. Louis eras “gives you kind of a harmonious feeling and what it means to have played with this organization.”

During an offensive line meeting, Slater said the former linemen “all stood up and gave our two cents on what we thought was important.”

Nolan Cromwell, a safety who played for the Rams from 1977 to 1987, was encouraged by the “We Not Me” slogan that McVay has adopted.

“When I played with guys, we were all talking, it was all we played for each other, we played together,” Cromwell said. “And I think the thing has really swung to a ‘Hey, look at me’ concept in today’s game, and I hope this message gets across to the team and he’s able to preach and they go with it.”
Where there any photos taken at this event!? I would love to see them if there are any!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Fisher extended a hand to old LA Rams when the team came back for last season, but McVay has taken that next step by including St Louis Ram's players...It was a concept that I pounded through RamStalk years ago, that I loved the connected history and the players that created that history in all locations...This event resolves the divisions between players from different cities, and I love that. It's all about the Horns....

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Check out this Chart in the Back ground!!

Yes, I noticed that too reminding me of Coach Wooden's Pyrimid of Success that I have always kept in every Office I've been in.
JRW%20Pyramid%20Laminate%2007.jpg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
@Mackeyser pounded the table here at ROD for Sean McVay and to this point he's been absolutely outstanding and the shot in the arm this organization truly needed. Right down to his tee shirts which are amazing.
mcvay-170523_RamsOTA_121.jpg

Yes! Yes, I did. So far, so good!

I also made a big bet about the production of our receivers that I fully believe I will win.

Most expect our offense to be a year away. I don't. I think we're going to shock the first half of our schedule like we did in 1999 because teams will spend too much time looking at our film from last year rather than watching Washington for the scheme.

Advantage: Rams.

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
I wished someone had asked those players that were in the "Ram It" video, what were they thinking?!!! Haha!!!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
One of our best ever explains what he feels is the biggest difference between the OLine room and coaching from last year to this year. Pretty shocking to hear his comment.

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Tom-Mack---Rams-Legends-Press-Conference/9494f3bc-33e5-4f97-b636-62246046b38d

I really believe that we will see improvement even going into the preseason. The point will be getting guys in position to succeed with the expectation of production.

I'm just beyond excited for this new beginning that actually has a chance at success.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

jap

Legend
I would love to finally see GRob officially morph into Gregzilla this season - all that insane athleticism & speed being put to optimal productivity at long last!