Kirwan's Mock Draft #2 --OT Peat To Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kirw

Robinson compares favorably to DJ Fluker? Phil Loadholt? Andre Smith? OK....good point you win.........

Yea, you forgot the other half of the list...which were all top tier LTs. I think the distinction between the LT and RT has become less and less. A motivated Andre Smith, for example, could play either OT spot. Fluker played LT some his rookie year although he's likely best off at OG...but then again, Greg tested SIGNIFICANTLY better than Fluker did and is much lighter on his feet on film. Loadholt is a RT only for the most part...but again, Greg tested significantly better and is lighter on his feet than Loadholt.

As I said before, he compares very favorably to Jason Peters who is consistently ranked as a top 5 LT in the NFL.

those 330 lb ot's by and large either play rt or struggle in pass blocking as lt...slow feet matter. 3 cone and short shuttle times matter. Like I said avg lt or all pro guard...that you had to go all the way back to 2004 for Peters and 2005 for Whitworth proves my point..outliers are the exception not the rule. Joe Thomas was the 5th rated OT his rookie year per pff while Robinson was ranked 78th out of 84 per pff..awful. Rams coaches mentioned D'Brickashaw Ferguson as a comparison..Ferguson struggled for almost 2 years and has had more mediocre seasons then good ones. I don't know about anyone else but that Ferguson comparison bothered me....one they admitted he struggled and secondly admitted it might take 2/3 years before he becomes decent....

And the other half of the list that you conveniently omitted...how about them?

Outliers? Exceptions? I pulled 6 guys since 2004. You can't claim they're outliers or exceptions. One guy is an outlier or an exception...6 guys means there's no "rule".

Why did I bring up those two guys from 2004 and 2005? Because they were the #1 and #2 ranked LTs on PFF in 2014.

And it's odd that you bring up D'Brickashaw Ferguson as a negative when he has long been considered one of the NFL's top 10 LTs.

those 330 lt's with mediocre short shuttle and 3 cone are rare and becoming rarer....in todays NFL elite feet matter and great short times are the rule ..teams are drafting players like Tyron Smith, Lane Johnson, Vollmer, Duane Brown high for a reason

The Duane Brown who finished 72nd out of 77 OTs as a rookie. Weren't you just criticizing Robinson for that very thing?

And, of course, I think it's worthwhile to point out that Robinson was drafted higher than each and every one of those guys. As was Joe Thomas who had similar short shuttle and 3 cone drill times to Robinson. So what is this rule?

Why are teams drafting players like those four? Because they're athletic and talented OTs. Which Robinson also is.

IMO lot of former nfl scouts are mocking lt's to the rams for a reason and it isn't because of Barksdale..he can be easily resigned. Kirwan, a former scout, even said Peat was a "classic LT"......obviously he also has concerns about Robinson as a lt..

How many of these same former scouts were mocking Greg Robinson to the Rams last year as their franchise LT?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
@jrry32, yeah uh...I had a feeling a response was coming:) nice homework there.

On a different note with another draft guru like hammer posting here it should make this an even better place (let the debates begin) tho we all have our spats I see him as an asset & a welcome addition(y)

Last edited:

thehammer

Rookie
@jrry32, yeah uh...I had a feeling a response was coming:) nice homework there.

On a different note with another draft guru like hammer posting here it should make this an even better place (let the debates begin) tho we all have our spats I see him as an asset & a welcome addition(y)

hopefully not too many...

what I see is Fisher will stick with Robinson at LT like he has stuck with Tavon Austin, Brandon Washington, Brian Quick, Chris Givens and Isaiah Pead......and Sam Bradford

scouted Robinson as much as any player in last years draft..saw a young Larry Allen( a hof guard)..his short times just confirmed what I saw. don't want to be too negative maybe saying above average lt sounds better ...also would be shocked if we drafted Peat...expect Scherff, a Martin clone, as the most likely selection and expect Scherff to still be there at #10

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
hopefully not too many...

what I see is Fisher will stick with Robinson at LT like he has stuck with Tavon Austin, Brandon Washington, Brian Quick, Chris Givens and Isaiah Pead......and Sam Bradford

scouted Robinson as much as any player in last years draft..saw a young Larry Allen( a hof guard)..his short times just confirmed what I saw. don't want to be too negative maybe saying above average lt sounds better ...also would be shocked if we drafted Peat...expect Scherff, a Martin clone, as the most likely selection and expect Scherff to still be there at #10

Agreed, Scherf seems more like a Fisher Oline type than Peat.

V3

Hall of Fame
If Robinson is forced to Guard, makes a pro bowl, is consistent, creates running holes, doesn't make too many mistakes and starts there for us for the next 10 years no one will care that he was drafted #2 overall to be a franchise LT.

If the Rams feel that Peat is the best offensive lineman available at #10 and they want to address it then i say go for it. Taking Peat won't hinder Robinson's development or create a logjam. Our OLine is in a rebuilding mode. Get talent and let it fall into place as it may.
I'd have a big issue if Robinson becomes an OG. You don't take them that high. They could have traded down(like I wanted with Buf) and taken Martin and would have had better results sooner.

I'm not giving up on Robinson at LT but if he does indeed become an OG, that would REALLY piss me off.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If Robinson is forced to Guard, makes a pro bowl, is consistent, creates running holes, doesn't make too many mistakes and starts there for us for the next 10 years no one will care that he was drafted #2 overall to be a franchise LT.

If the Rams feel that Peat is the best offensive lineman available at #10 and they want to address it then i say go for it. Taking Peat won't hinder Robinson's development or create a logjam. Our OLine is in a rebuilding mode. Get talent and let it fall into place as it may.
If Robinson's development is damaged from shifting back and forth and he doesn't become this all pro Guard several seem to think is inevitable, I *will* care that he was drafted #2.

I was against the pick, but I grew to like him because of his coachability and how well he did. But a time has to come where if we need a guard or a center, we draft a guard or a center. And not a tackle.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fisher, Snead and Boudreau all drafted Robinson with the second pick, because they clearly believe that his best position is OLT. Fisher has stated that he is the OLT. I don't see any reason to doubt him at this point.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Fisher, Snead and Boudreau all drafted Robinson with the second pick, because they clearly believe that his best position is OLT. Fisher has stated that he is the OLT. I don't see any reason to doubt him at this point.
If you see someone who you think can play LT as well as Grob and at the same time know that Grob could play RT just as well, wouldn't you entertain the idea of an LT? I'm not doubting the #2 overall pick of last year, I'm just mentioning Fisher's philosophy of putting "the five best linemen on the field."

Athos

Legend
I just don't think the tackle spot is what is the issue.

It's the OG. It's always been the interior play. Interior play has been shit since Bradford has been here and before that too. All the big hits, sans Jake Long's fuck up, seems to have been straight up the gut.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
If you see someone who you think can play LT as well as Grob and at the same time know that Grob could play RT just as well, wouldn't you entertain the idea of an LT? I'm not doubting the #2 overall pick of last year, I'm just mentioning Fisher's philosophy of putting "the five best linemen on the field."

This is why I'm intrigued by Peat at 10. If he can play LT and RT effectively that gives the O line options on where to best place Peat, GRob and Saffold. Free agency should help put the pieces of the puzzle together so we have a clear picture of needs going into draft day.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Barksdale played well at ORT when Saffold was next to him. Joe shouldn't get Left Tackle money from any other team so if the Rams can sign him then the only need a center and a Left Guard. Why not choose Scherf who looks like a better Guard than Peat does a tackle? Then plug Rhaney into center(if they really do believe he is capable like they claimed) or sign a FA center or draft one?

In that scenario they end up with the better Olineman that halos has versatility to move to ORG and ORT if need be, in Scherf. Or take LaelCollins who could also play all over the line. Then draft Cam Erving in round2.

Peat or GRob will leave for free agency and get Left Tackle money the first chance they get if either is a Right Tackle for the Rams.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Barksdale played well at ORT when Saffold was next to him. Joe shouldn't get Left Tackle money from any other team so if the Rams can sign him then the only need a center and a Left Guard. Why not choose Scherf who looks like a better Guard than Peat does a tackle? Then plug Rhaney into center(if they really do believe he is capable like they claimed) or sign a FA center or draft one?

In that scenario they end up with the better Olineman that halos has versatility to move to ORG and ORT if need be, in Scherf. Or take LaelCollins who could also play all over the line. Then draft Cam Erving in round2.

Peat or GRob will leave for free agency and get Left Tackle money the first chance they get if either is a Right Tackle for the Rams.
Im confused by your scenario. Do you keep Barksdale or Long?