Kirwan Mock: Browns deal into No. 2 for Blake Bortles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Mock Draft: Browns deal into No. 2 for Blake Bortles
March 4, 2014 12:11 pm ET

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-up-to-no-1-browns-deal-into-no-2-for-bortles

Not unlike the real NFL Draft, mock drafts take twists and turns, with top names often staying in the first round but heading to different teams, especially if there are changes at the top.

From my last mock to this one, I made 18 first-round changes but only two players dropped out: BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy and Stanford guard David Yankey. In are LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. and Fresno State QB Derek Carr.

1. Houston Texans -- South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney: His 4.53-second 40 was impressive and with JJ Watt on the other side the Texans may just get to Indy QB Andrew Luck enough to win the division in a year or two. Seattle won it all with a great defense and a young QB. The Texans can get a good QB prospect in the next few rounds.

2. Cleveland Browns (trade up from No. 4. with Rams) -- UCF QB Blake Bortles: The Browns passed on Ben Roethlisberger when he was coming out. If Houston doesn't take Bortles they have the fire power to move up and get him.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater: Johnny Manziel is the popular choice here, to sell seats, but Bridgewater is a more sensible choice and he has accuracy like Russell Wilson.

4. St. Louis Rams (trade down from No. 4 with Browns) -- Texas A&M OT Jake Matthews: Lots of speculation that the Rams will take Greg Robinson, which would be a fine pick, but Jeff Fisher and the Matthews family go back a long way and Jake can play just as well as Robinson.

5. Oakland Raiders -- Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel: Can't you just see Johnny Football in a Raiders uniform, running around and making plays and the "Black Hole" going crazy in their Manziel gear?

6. Atlanta Falcons -- Auburn OT Greg Robinson: A great pick and a 10-year starter protecting Matt Ryan's blind side. If it were me I would move up to get him.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Clemson WR Sammy Watkins: Watkins is a southwest Florida kid and the best receiver in the draft. Mike Glennon will have a great set of receivers.

8. Minnesota Vikings -- Buffalo OLB/DE Kalil Mack: The Vikings need pass rushers if Jared Allen and Everson Griffen don't return. As for a QB, take a look at the bottom of the first round.

9. Buffalo Bills -- Michigan OT Taylor Lewan: Doug Marone is an offensive line coach by trade and he knows 6-foot-8 offensive tackles with athletic ability and a nasty streak don't come along that often. EJ Manuel will be better with Lewan on the field.

10. Detroit Lions -- Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert: Gilbert had a great combine and is an impressive player on tape as well as in an interview.

11. Tennessee Titans -- Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard: Corner Alterran Verner is a free agent. If he leaves, the Titans will need an instant starter.

12. New York Giants -- UCLA OLB-DE Anthony Barr: The Giants might consider a tackle like Zach Martin here, but Barr's two-year production at UCLA plays into the Giants' drafting tendencies. Opposite a healthy Jason Pierre-Paul, Barr could see double-digit sacks as a rookie.

13. St. Louis Rams -- Texas A&M WR Mike Evans: It will be hard for Jeff Fisher to pass on a 6-foot-5 receiver who has soft hands and a 37-inch vertical leap.

14. Chicago Bears -- Alabama S Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix: Nothing has changed here in a week. The Bears have to replace Chris Conte at safety.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Louisville S Calvin Pryor: I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers take a defensive lineman like Kony Ealy here, but the hard-hitting safety fills a need as well.

16. Dallas Cowboys -- Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald: The Cowboys will be very lucky if Donald lasts until their spot. Donald was made to play in Rod Marinelli's defense. He reminds me of John Randle on the field.

17. Baltimore Ravens -- Alabama LB C.J. Mosley: The Ravens could use a receiver, but there will be good receivers later in the draft or in free agency. Ozzie Newsome is an Alabama guy and he knows he can build the defense around this young man.

18. New York Jets -- USC WR Marqise Lee: The Jets need two wide receivers and Lee is a very good place to start. Had he not been injured last season, he would have been in the top-10 discussion.

19. Miami Dolphins -- Notre Dame OT Zach Martin: Miami needs offensive linemen, and maybe this time they get the right "Martin" on the left side.

20. Arizona Cardinals -- Florida State DT Tim Jernigan: The Cardinals play hybrid defense. So, even though they are listed as a 3-4 and Jernigan is perceived as a 4-3 tackle, they will utilize his skills. Jernigan would be a rotational player as a rookie and take on a starting role in 2015.

21. Green Bay Packers -- North Carolina TE Eric Ebron: With Jermichael Finley in free agency, a tight end who has vertical skills like Ebron would make Green Bay's offense very dangerous. The Packers need defensive-line help and could consider Ra'Shede Hageman here.

22. Philadelphia Eagles -- Minnesota DL Ra'Shede Hageman: At some point in the first round the best available athlete drives the bus. Hageman is a 6-6, 315-pound athlete who needs to be more consistent.

23. Kansas City Chiefs -- LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.: This is the first time I've put Beckham in the first round, but after interviewing him this week and hearing SEC defensive players tell me he was the best they faced, it was time.

24. Cincinnati Bengals -- Virginia Tech CB Kyle Fuller: Fuller had a solid combine and is a big corner. The Bengals' Leon Hall finished on IR and Adam Jones and Terrence Newman can't play forever.

25. San Diego Chargers -- Missouri DE Kony Ealy: Another example of the best player available. I have had Ealy as high as No. 15 to Pittsburgh. There's always room for big, strong down lineman.

26. Cleveland Browns -- Ohio State LB Ryan Shazier: The Browns released D'Qwell Jackson, a middle linebacker who had 140 tackles last season. They stay in-state with their second pick in the first round.

27. New Orleans Saints -- Auburn DE/OLB Dee Ford: Rob Ryan can work with lots of different types of players. Ford has pass rush skills and is athletic enough to drop into coverage.

28. Carolina Panthers -- Alabama OT Cyrus Kouandjio: Pro Bowl tackle Jordan Gross retired. Maybe Kouandjio starts out on the right side, but eventually he'll be a left tackle.

29. New England Patriots -- Notre Dame DT Louis Nix: Nix has been higher in my mock drafts, but I have watched some game tapes that create some doubt. At this spot, the Patriots would be glad to get this big space eater, considering Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly were on IR last year.

30. San Francisco 49ers -- TCU CB Jason Verrett: Verrett is short of my 2014 standards but he is a very good CB, and it could mean the end for Carlos Rogers.

31. Denver Broncos -- Notre Dame DL Stephon Tuitt: The Broncos could use some big people up front and passing on Tuitt here probably means they have little chance for a big athlete later in the draft.

32. Minnesota Vikings (trade up from 2nd round, No. 40 overall with Seattle) -- Fresno State QB Derek Carr: Always look for the Seahawks to do something different and will not take a player for the sake of taking someone. This pick is valuable to teams looking for a quarterback who don't want to go past the first round without one. We will see teams manipulate their way up to the top of the second round.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not see the Falcons taking an OT over DE/LB Kalil Mack period. Mack would be their new starting 43 RDE day one!

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I do not see the Falcons taking an OT over DE/LB Kalil Mack period. Mack would be their new starting 43 RDE day one!
I really think Mack is more of a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE. It's true that the Falcons need pass rushers but they also need an OL very bad. I could see them taking Mack, but if I were them I'd take Robinson who along with Matthews seems to be elite type OT prospects