Kirk Cousins is going to get PAID

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Here's the facts though.

Every year 2-4 guys get hyped like mad. Future of the NFL, gonna change how the QB position is played, get this guy and you are good at QB for 10-15 years..........and all the rest of the bullcrap.

But if 2-4 guys panned out to be franchise QB's the league would be populated with them. They would be commodities. Instead it's starved for them. This is media hype.

Name a draft where 2-4 QB's got selected and became really good, not elite just really good, in the last 20 years.

Maybe 2?

You have to go back to 1983 for Elway, Marino and Kelly. Maybe the year EManning, Rivers and Roethislberger got picked.

Other than that..........what is there? Where are the hyped QB's that are going to rule the league? They don't exist in any numbers each year. That's why we see so much average QB play.

The draft three years ago with Marriota and Winston was lauded as having two team/position changing players. But what are they really three years later? They are not that great. Luck and Griffin? Meh. One is out of the NFL after sucking for a few years and the other has question marks stuck to him like post it notes and a serious injury question. Both had accuracy issues. That doesn't work in today's NFL.

So all this hype is a bunch of crap.

Every year there is NOT a franchise QB. It's way less often than that. maybe every 5 or 6 years.

I think the Rams plucked the jewel of the decade.

I agree but as long as the prospects show the expected great college play, there will be top ten teams drooling over them. This class was supposed to be laden with top QBs. Allen, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield. As it is turning out the QB from Virgina may be showing better than them all. In the end one or two may have great offseason workouts and reclimb the draft ladder. Then teams will be clamoring to grab one. Future success is only a prediction.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Luck and Wilson from same draft was pretty good.
Funny though how guys go from prospects to oblivion. I recall when Brad Kaaya was gonna be an early round pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather Cousins not go to the 49ers. He's not an elite QB, but he's an above average to good one. They have plenty of cap room. Giving them a QB and a high pick could allow for a quick turnaround.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This class was supposed to be laden with top QBs. Allen, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield.

That's 4, and there has never been four in a draft that were good.

As it is turning out the QB from Virgina may be showing better than them all.

Now it's five.

Not likely LOL.

Luck and Wilson from same draft was pretty good.

Luck hasn't done much, he's pretty good when healthy. That's a big "when" right now. Wilson is very good, and out of the 3rd round.

But that's my point. The good ones are RARE.

I'd rather Cousins not go to the 49ers. He's not an elite QB, but he's an above average to good one.

He's better than good, he is top notch. How can you say he is above average looking at what he has done on a pretty average team?

This guy is the real deal. You can't name 5 or 6 better QB's over the last two and a half seasons. That's a lot better than above average to good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's better than good, he is top notch. How can you say he is above average looking at what he has done on a pretty average team?

This guy is the real deal. You can't name 5 or 6 better QB's over the last two and a half seasons. That's a lot better than above average to good.

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees

He's not in either of those groups. He's in the next group down. Although, it just hit me that the golden age of QBs is coming to an end imo.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees

He's not in either of those groups. He's in the next group down. Although, it just hit me that the golden age of QBs is coming to an end imo.

Wilson is elite???.
tenor.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's 4, and there has never been four in a draft that were good.

Now it's five.

Not likely LOL.

Luck hasn't done much, he's pretty good when healthy. That's a big "when" right now. Wilson is very good, and out of the 3rd round.

But that's my point. The good ones are RARE.

You are missing my point. Every year college comes out with a top QB or two. Based on last year's performances, it was expected to be a loaded year for QBs in the draft. Four were expected to be top ten picks. That means four bad teams would roll the dice on a cheap rookie phenom, instead of chasing and paying Cousins. But those four phenoms are not looking as good this year. So now, those four bad teams are going to be thinking hard about chasing the good and very expensive Cousins. It doesn't matter if they turn out to be as good as they project too. Teams will be willing to bet on a kid that was a first round drafted, rather than a high priced free agent. Now if a team is picking in the top ten but is only missing a good QB to compete, then sure, they may covet Cousins. But bad teams will gamble on developing their prospects. It happens every year.

And I think Washington is a better than average team. I don't see any big weakness on that team. Plus they have good coaching, which helped to make Cousins what he is today. It's funny how perspectives can be different. Two Skins fans that I know have said Cousins holds the team back because he isnt in that elite top five grouping. He can't carry the team to wins when he has to. He isn't clutch. They want him to leave so Washington can draft a better QB and develop him like they did Cousins. I tell them to be careful what they wish for. McVay isn't there to help Gruden coach a kid up, and getting a top QB in the draft means your team's or they got lucky that other teams overlooked somebody.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees

I'd take Kirk Cousins way before Russell Wilson.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Problem in all this is the draft and how the top two picks stack up. IF the whiners get that first or even second pick, for example, I don't think they go after Cousins.

With the emergence of Goff and Wentz teams are seeing the value of building it right, so the draft this year is going to have a big impact on GM decision making.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Russell has done far more with far less on offense.
I don't know about all that (braces for 40 page debate).
The Seahawks have always ranked in the bottom two in pass attempts since he's been there.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Nah - I already said it. He just doesn't pass the eye test for me. He looks the definition of system QB to me. He may be able to do just fine here as well but how likely is it that he is good with another team? He's good but not as good as his stats IMO.
I agree, he does really well but not enough of the time. Look how he faded against the Eagles. When they need a play or a big drive in big games he falls short more times than not.That game is an example of why the skins are hesitant to sign him to a big contract. It happens way to often. Then he pads his stats against the lesser defenses.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I'd rather Cousins not go to the 49ers. He's not an elite QB, but he's an above average to good one. They have plenty of cap room. Giving them a QB and a high pick could allow for a quick turnaround.
Actually I wouldn't mind it. He would fail in the big games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know about all that (braces for 40 page debate).
The Seahawks have always ranked in the bottom two in pass attempts since he's been there.

That also discounts his contributions to their rushing attack. Over his first four years in the NFL, he averaged over 600 yards rushing per year and nearly 6 yards per carry.

I don't like Wilson, but it's impossible not to notice what he does with terrible OLs year in and year out. He's a better QB than Cousins. I wouldn't think twice about taking him over Cousins if I were starting a team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That also discounts his contributions to their rushing attack. Over his first four years in the NFL, he averaged over 600 yards rushing per year and nearly 6 yards per carry.

I don't like Wilson, but it's impossible not to notice what he does with terrible OLs year in and year out. He's a better QB than Cousins. I wouldn't think twice about taking him over Cousins if I were starting a team.
I know. I'm not saying he's a shitty QB or anything. There is a significant decision to be made if you're starting a team though. Do you want a zone-read offense, or a WCO? If I had to rank the two, I'd say Wilson is the better all-around QB, but I think Cousins is a better thrower. Their comparison breakdown is pretty telling in that it solidifies the idea that scrambling QBs tend to get sacked WAY more than traditional pocket passers.

Screenshot_2.jpg