Kiper's favorite day 3 sleepers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/i...-kiper-favorite-day-3-2017-nfl-draft-sleepers

People are always asking about sleepers. Well, some folks have a different meaning of what a "sleeper" is. It's not a second-round pick. No Day 2 pick can be a sleeper. Tight end Adam Shaheen from Division II Ashland is not a sleeper -- he's well known at this point and could be a top-40 pick. Neither is Lamar cornerback Brendan Langley, who will likely go in the first three rounds.

So, to me, a sleeper is a prospect from a small school who will go in Rounds 4-7. Here are six of my favorite sleepers for the Class of 2017 -- three on offense, three on defense:

Eric Saubert, TE, Drake
Saubert, not Shaheen, is the true tight end sleeper in this draft. A four-year starter for the Bulldogs, Saubert is a pass-catcher, not a blocker. He had 183 catches for 2,179 yards and 20 touchdowns in his career. He must improve as a blocker to have a future in the NFL. But he can stretch the deep middle of the field, and he can run after the catch. One comparison that I gave on the First Draft podcast was to former NFL tight end Jay Novacek, who was a sixth-round pick by the Cardinals in 1985. Novacek wasn't a speedster, but he had reliable hands.

Saubert could be taken as high as the fourth round, joining the last Drake player to get picked in the draft -- the Bears took tight end Pat Dunsmore No. 107 overall in 1983, and he had 17 catches and a touchdown during two seasons.

Chad Williams, WR, Grambling
Williams was a late invite to the Senior Bowl, where he showed he belonged among the nation's best senior prospects. He has decent size (6-foot-1, 204 pounds) and put up big numbers for the Tigers -- 90 catches for 1,337 yards last season and 21 touchdown catches during the past two seasons. He has potential as a big-play threat. There are offseason concerns, however, as Williams was arrested last May for possession of marijuana and possession of a firearm with drugs.

Nate Theaker, OL, Wayne State (MI)
The more I watched Theaker's tape, the more I liked him. He played both left and right tackle and some guard for the Warriors, and he was just dominating Division II defenders. At 6-foot-5, 315 pounds, he doesn't have the arm length (32 5/8) to play tackle in the NFL, but he could develop at guard. He played stronger than his 23 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press at the combine. He could be a seventh-round pick with future starter potential.

Jordan Herdman, ILB, Simon Fraser
Herdman impressed me during Senior Bowl week practices, making tackles all over the field and taking on blockers without fear. He's just not very big -- 5-foot-11, 238 pounds. You don't see many inside linebackers that small playing every-down roles in the NFL. He could contribute on special teams, though. At Simon Fraser -- which is in British Columbia, Canada, and is the only international program in Division II football -- he had 428 career tackles and was the conference defensive player of the year in 2014 and 2015.

Grover Stewart, DT, Albany State
This kid is worth taking a flyer on as a developmental plugger prospect. He's huge -- 6-foot-4, 334 pounds -- and has some quickness. He put up 7.5 sacks for the Division II Golden Rams last season, and he had 15 tackles for loss in 2015. He'll take on double-teams in the middle of a 3-4 defense in limited snaps, and he'll play hard. He's worth stashing on a roster and seeing if he can contribute.

Lorenzo Jerome, S, St. Francis (PA)
Like Herdman, Jerome caught my eye at the Senior Bowl. He had two interceptions and a forced fumble in the game, and the ball just seems to find him. He had 18 career interceptions for the Red Flash. He also had two interceptions at the NFL Players Association Collegiate Bowl. His stock dropped a little at the combine, however, as he ran a 4.70 40 at 5-foot-10, 204 pounds and didn't test well overall. I feel confident in saying he'll make an NFL roster, though. He has the instincts to play in the league.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I know we've met with Williams twice.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/i...-kiper-favorite-day-3-2017-nfl-draft-sleepers

People are always asking about sleepers. Well, some folks have a different meaning of what a "sleeper" is. It's not a second-round pick. No Day 2 pick can be a sleeper. Tight end Adam Shaheen from Division II Ashland is not a sleeper -- he's well known at this point and could be a top-40 pick. Neither is Lamar cornerback Brendan Langley, who will likely go in the first three rounds.

So, to me, a sleeper is a prospect from a small school who will go in Rounds 4-7. Here are six of my favorite sleepers for the Class of 2017 -- three on offense, three on defense:

Eric Saubert, TE, Drake
Saubert, not Shaheen, is the true tight end sleeper in this draft. A four-year starter for the Bulldogs, Saubert is a pass-catcher, not a blocker. He had 183 catches for 2,179 yards and 20 touchdowns in his career. He must improve as a blocker to have a future in the NFL. But he can stretch the deep middle of the field, and he can run after the catch. One comparison that I gave on the First Draft podcast was to former NFL tight end Jay Novacek, who was a sixth-round pick by the Cardinals in 1985. Novacek wasn't a speedster, but he had reliable hands.

Saubert could be taken as high as the fourth round, joining the last Drake player to get picked in the draft -- the Bears took tight end Pat Dunsmore No. 107 overall in 1983, and he had 17 catches and a touchdown during two seasons.

Chad Williams, WR, Grambling
Williams was a late invite to the Senior Bowl, where he showed he belonged among the nation's best senior prospects. He has decent size (6-foot-1, 204 pounds) and put up big numbers for the Tigers -- 90 catches for 1,337 yards last season and 21 touchdown catches during the past two seasons. He has potential as a big-play threat. There are offseason concerns, however, as Williams was arrested last May for possession of marijuana and possession of a firearm with drugs.

Nate Theaker, OL, Wayne State (MI)
The more I watched Theaker's tape, the more I liked him. He played both left and right tackle and some guard for the Warriors, and he was just dominating Division II defenders. At 6-foot-5, 315 pounds, he doesn't have the arm length (32 5/8) to play tackle in the NFL, but he could develop at guard. He played stronger than his 23 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press at the combine. He could be a seventh-round pick with future starter potential.

Jordan Herdman, ILB, Simon Fraser
Herdman impressed me during Senior Bowl week practices, making tackles all over the field and taking on blockers without fear. He's just not very big -- 5-foot-11, 238 pounds. You don't see many inside linebackers that small playing every-down roles in the NFL. He could contribute on special teams, though. At Simon Fraser -- which is in British Columbia, Canada, and is the only international program in Division II football -- he had 428 career tackles and was the conference defensive player of the year in 2014 and 2015.

Grover Stewart, DT, Albany State
This kid is worth taking a flyer on as a developmental plugger prospect. He's huge -- 6-foot-4, 334 pounds -- and has some quickness. He put up 7.5 sacks for the Division II Golden Rams last season, and he had 15 tackles for loss in 2015. He'll take on double-teams in the middle of a 3-4 defense in limited snaps, and he'll play hard. He's worth stashing on a roster and seeing if he can contribute.

Lorenzo Jerome, S, St. Francis (PA)
Like Herdman, Jerome caught my eye at the Senior Bowl. He had two interceptions and a forced fumble in the game, and the ball just seems to find him. He had 18 career interceptions for the Red Flash. He also had two interceptions at the NFL Players Association Collegiate Bowl. His stock dropped a little at the combine, however, as he ran a 4.70 40 at 5-foot-10, 204 pounds and didn't test well overall. I feel confident in saying he'll make an NFL roster, though. He has the instincts to play in the league.
I like this because there are 3 of these player's I've never looked at!! Theaker- Herdman qnd Stewart! Now I'll watch for where they go!!(y);):D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'll keep saying this

There is no way Lorenzo Jerome plays in this league....

Ram65

Legend
All strangers to me. It's above my pay grade to go this deep in the draft.

^You guys are amazing.^

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
All strangers to me. It's above my pay grade to go this deep in the draft.

^You guys are amazing.^

Rank Stranger
Ralph Stanley, The Clinch Mountain Boys
Lyrics
I wandered again to my home in the mountains
Where in youth's early dawn I was happy and free
I looked for my friends, but I never could find them
I found they were all rank strangers to me
Everybody I met (everybody I met)
Seemed to be a rank stranger (seemed to be a rank stranger)
No mother nor dad (no mother or dad)
Not a friend could I see (not a friend could I see)
They knew not my name (they knew not my name)
And I knew not their faces (and I knew not their faces)
I found they were all (I found they were all)
Rank strangers to me (rank strangers to me)
"They've all moved away, " said the voice of a stranger
"To a beautiful land by the bright crystal sea"
Some beautiful day I'll meet 'em in heaven
Where no one will be a stranger to me
Everybody I met (everybody I met)
Seemed to be a rank stranger (seemed to be a rank stranger)
No mother nor dad (no mother or dad)
Not a friend could I see (not a friend could I see)
They knew not my name (they knew not my name)
And I knew not their faces (and I knew not their faces)
I found they were all (I found they were all)
Rank strangers to me (rank strangers to me)