Kiper & Sando on the Rams' 1st round picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/91386/kiper-mock-2-0-rams-thoughts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... s-thoughts</a>

Mel Kiper Jr. is back with his second 2013 NFL mock draft for the first round.

We're running through the projected picks for NFC West teams in reverse order. St. Louis is next up. The Rams have two picks in the first round: their own (16th overall) and one acquired from Washington (22nd).

16. St. Louis Rams: Lane Johnson, T, Oklahoma

Kiper's give: The Rams can afford to go a few different ways here because they have that other first-round pick. I think the offensive line has to be a priority at one of these spots. Johnson is a steady tackle who upgrades the team on the right side immediately and has the ceiling of a very good NFL left tackle. I've included snippets from Kiper's analysis before offering my own thoughts.

Sando's take: The pick makes sense from a need standpoint even though Jeff Fisher's teams have never used a first-round pick for an offensive lineman with Fisher as head coach. Rodger Saffold is the only long-term starting tackle on the roster. He's had a hard time staying healthy recently and could have the flexibility to play another position on the line. Barry Richardson, Wayne Hunter, Joe Barksdale and Ty Nsekhe are the other tackles on the roster. The Rams did a good job functioning in the absence of better offensive linemen. They need better players at the position, however.

22. St. Louis Rams: Keenan Allen, WR, California

Kiper's give: The Rams lock down some blocking help, then get a wide receiver who can help them immediately. That would be a productive first round. It's possible I've worried too much about how well Allen will run, because aside from what should just be a pedestrian 40 time, he can do everything else well.

Sando's take: The Rams will know by the draft whether potential free agent Danny Amendola figures into their future and at what price. They have an emerging big-play threat in Chris Givens. They figure to get more from Brian Quick this season. The Rams’ perceived need for help at wide receiver could be larger than their actual need. Still, the team could use additional offensive playmakers. Allen stands 6-foot-3, which could help him in a division featuring physical cornerbacks such as Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner. Allen grades out well as a competitive player with no fear making tough catches over the middle. The Rams could use those traits.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm on board with Johnson. Just not a fan of Allen even before the injury.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
I'm on board with Johnson. Just not a fan of Allen even before the injury.
You finally jumped on the bus. I'm not a fan of Allen either.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Who needs Keenan Allen when you have Titus Young? Haha
I have seen little on Allen, but he doesn't make me leap out of my seat. I'd rather trade out of the first and make a run Sammy Wakibs in the second round.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:
Tayvon Austin please....

Count me IN.

Quick is the big outside guy.

Givens is the outside speed guy.

Amendola in the slot.

Austin is the hot mess for defensive coordinators to deal with.

iced

nighttrain said:
iced said:
Tayvon Austin please....
if we draft this kid, no need for Amendola
train

Keep 'em both. Give Sammy his own weapons. Brady has multiple, why can't Sammy?

Plus, the best offenses always have more than 1.

GSOT - Faulk, Bruce, Holt

Warner's Cards - Boldin/Fitzgerald

Brady - Hernandez/Gronk/Welker, At times Welker/Moss

Hell...just look at the Saints..