Kiper Re-grades Rams' 2013 Nfl Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

[espn.go.com]

ST. LOUIS -- On Thursday, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. took a break from looking ahead to the 2014 draft and stopped to reflect on last year's class.

In this Insider piece, Insider Kiper went team-by-team, provided his grades from immediately after the draft and altered them as he now sees fit. For the St. Louis Rams, Kiper changed the team's original grade, actually opting to drop it slightly.

Kiper's original grade for the Rams in 2013 was an A- but after factoring in the performance of this year's group, he decided to move it down to a B+. Here's a small sample of what Kiper thought of the Rams' rookie class:

"St. Louis moved up for [Tavon] Austin, and, although he was underused, he still had 40 catches and has star potential. [Alec] Ogletree wasn't perfect by any means, but he started, didn't come off the field, made some big plays and is going to get better. [T.J.] McDonald is a starter going forward, and he did OK before and after he got hurt. [Zac] Stacy looks like a steal, and nearly went over 1,000 yards. He'll be the starter going forward."

To be honest, I was a bit surprised to see Kiper adjust his grade using his criteria. In addition to first-year performance, Kiper also took into account each team's undrafted free agents and how much the rookie class helped the team win games.

I have to believe Kiper downgraded the Rams because they were unable to piece together a winning record and Austin didn't quite meet the lofty expectations many had for him.

However, this rookie group played a big part in the games the Rams did win and the team got production from its share of undrafted rookies as well, particularly on special teams. Receiver Stedman Bailey also emerged late in the season and was the team's most consistent receiver in the final month or so.

I'm of the belief that fully judging any rookie class before three years doesn't give a full picture but either way it appears at worst the Rams found some key contributors and at best found some potential stars (Austin, Ogletree, Stacy) who could be cornerstone players well into the future.

jjab360

Legend
I don't understand how you can downgrade our rookie class when we ended up with five starters that accounted for almost half of our touchdowns.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
If that draft is not an A+ I don't know what is. This is seriously ridiculous to think that it actually got downgraded

Ramifications

Somebody here is going to go Bill Tobin on him (Who the hell is Mel Kiper?).

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Kiper is a tool I don't give much of what he say any credit. Maybe he wasn't thinking clearly when he gave the first grade, maybe he forgot what he gave when he posted the second grade. I wonder if he factored in Bradford being out or the plays called back for penalties? The guy gets paid to guess and isn't all that great when you go back and look over the years. I will take a draft class like the Rams had last year EVERY year.

Kiper is he the one with the fun hair who loved Jimmy Clausen?

There are posters on internet forums who's opinion I respect more than him.