Kiper mock 4.0: Rams thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/75357/kiper-mock-4-0-rams-thoughts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... s-thoughts</a>

Mel Kiper Jr.'s fourth mock draft for 2013 covers two rounds. After a look at projections for the San Francisco 49ers, we continue with the St. Louis Rams.

FIRST ROUND

16. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

Kiper's give: Danny Amendola will be catching passes from Tom Brady in 2013, so the Rams can certainly afford to place a high priority on a slot weapon. Austin is one of the true home run threats in this draft, and while he's perfect to work in the slot, given his speed, route-running skills and soft hands, this is a player you can get creative with. The loss of Amendola leaves a void, but Austin could even be an upgrade.

Sando's take: There's a tendency to overstate the Rams' need level at wide receiver after the team parted with Amendola and Brandon Gibson in free agency. Chris Givens and Brian Quick could grow into a productive combination. Free-agent addition Jared Cook will help the receiving game even though he's listed as a tight end. The same goes for Lance Kendricks. The Rams have already invested quite a bit in their efforts to arm quarterback Sam Bradford. Quick and Kendricks were second-round picks. Austin Pettis was a third-rounder. Cook cost $19 million in guaranteed money. There are still question marks about this group, however. Austin's presence would only improve the odds for St. Louis. He would probably help in the return game right away even if he needed time to develop as a receiver. Kiper had Austin going 14th overall in his previous mock. He did not project Austin as a first-round selection in either of his two previous mocks for 2013.

22. Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

Kiper's give: The departure of Craig Dahl for San Francisco isn't what I'd call a personnel emergency, but there's not a lot left behind him. Darian Stewart and Rodney McLeod are currently penciled in as the starters, so drafting Vaccaro guarantees you an upgrade at safety in a division where safeties are vital. San Francisco, Seattle and Arizona all can test you deep, and in a couple of cases, you need safeties who can fly up to make plays on QBs who are willing to run.

Sando's take: Dahl's departure tells only part of the story. The Rams' move to release Quintin Mikell reduced Mikell's cap charge to $6 million for 2013, a substantial savings, but it also increased the team's need at the position overall. The Rams need young talent at safety whether or not Mikell re-signs at a lower rate sometime in the future.

SECOND ROUND

46. Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin

Kiper's give: Minus Steven Jackson, their depth chart at running back is set with this addition.

Sando's take: Scouting reports on Ball suggest he runs like the big running back Rams coach Jeff Fisher wants to add. While Ball isn't especially large by NFL standards at 5-foot-10 and 214 pounds, the Rams could use him in committee. Isaiah Pead, a second-round choice in 2012, projects as the change-of-pace back. Daryl Richardson was a revelation as a seventh-round choice last year. Kiper's partner in draft analysis, Todd McShay, thinks the Rams could consider drafting a bigger back after the first couple rounds. He pointed to Michigan State's Le'Veon Bell and Stony Brook's Miguel Maysonet as players to consider if Ball weren't the choice in the second round. Neither was selected during the first two rounds of this latest mock from Kiper. Eddie Lacy, a running back Kiper projected to Green Bay at No. 26, would be a reach for the Rams in the first round, according to McShay. "This running back class is not very good," McShay said, "but I think you can get a Le'Veon Bell, who can catch the ball out of the backfield very well, or a Miguel Maysonet. There are other guys you could bring in to help at the running back position, even if it's Montee Ball in the second round."

Wonderboy

Rookie
I think I speak for all of us in saying that Rams Nation would be very happy about that!

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I like what I hear about Austin, but the hype makes me nervous. I'm not sure he is as good as the #16 pick. At #22 I don't think we are lucky enough Vaccaro to still be there but that would be lovely. Round 2, not a fan if the pick I really like L.Bell in the 6th if we can get him, I've seen a lot if mocks having us take him in 7. In round 2 I am all for BPA. One thing is for sure though, Xavior Gooden needs to be in horns!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
:neh: :pssd:

Those top three picks remind me of Linny's & Martz's worse trys!

duckhunter

Starter
Just finished my dream draft over at draftnikcentral for posteriority sake. Tough draft to do this year. Lots of needs, trying to take reasonable BPA, and staying within some tolerance of where the players are slotted.

1. DT Richardson
1. WR Hopkins
2. FS Swearinger
3. C B Jones
4. WR R Swope
5. FS D Stafford
6. LB C Lawrence
7. CB T Hawthorne

Don't really expect much love for this draft and it really ain't to dreamy, but I expect these guys to play in the big leagues.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
duckhunter said:
Just finished my dream draft over at draftnikcentral for posteriority sake. Tough draft to do this year. Lots of needs, trying to take reasonable BPA, and staying within some tolerance of where the players are slotted.

1. DT Richardson
1. WR Hopkins
2. FS Swearinger
3. C B Jones
4. WR R Swope
5. FS D Stafford
6. LB C Lawrence
7. CB T Hawthorne

Don't really expect much love for this draft and it really ain't to dreamy, but I expect these guys to play in the big leagues.

I like it.

Not too sure about Richardson at 16, but if he was BPA then so be it. I think ending up with both Hopkins and Swope would be fantastic.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
MerlinJones said:
duckhunter said:

1. DT Richardson
1. WR Hopkins
2. FS Swearinger
3. C B Jones
4. WR R Swope
5. FS D Stafford
6. LB C Lawrence
7. CB T Hawthorne

I like it.

Not too sure about Richardson at 16, but if he was BPA then so be it. I think ending up with both Hopkins and Swope would be fantastic.

Now that's the best case scenario draft I've seen yet, Richardson could end up being a huge upgrade over Langford, and having Langford as a rotational guy, while too expensive, would be a good thing.

'talk about winning the battle up front...

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I'm hoping for this type of draft. I want DT Richardson or Sylvester Williams in Rd 1 w/ either a S or WR!!! Like Hopkins who could start early for us.
Really like Williams after listening to him on Moving the Chains w/ PK & T-Rock. Great story too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Ram_of_Old said:
We have had some pretty ugly picks when DT is high.

It's hard to say it but when I say "Lewis, Picket, Kennedy or Carriker" I shiver

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram_of_Old said:
El Juggernauto said:
Ram_of_Old said:

It's hard to say it but when I say "Lewis, Picket, Kennedy or Carriker" I shiver

Ditto...
Man, reading that made it feel like a ghost just walked right through me.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The Dude said:
Ram_of_Old said:
El Juggernauto said:
Ram_of_Old said:

Ditto...

I felt that way when they drafted Brockers. Seems we got a good one finally.

nighttrain

Legend
El Juggernauto said:
The Dude said:
Ram_of_Old said:
El Juggernauto said:
Ram_of_Old said:

Ditto...

I felt that way when they drafted Brockers. Seems we got a good one finally.

With a real FO, all things are possible. This is the first year since Vermiel that we have had top quality MGT and Coaching..Vermiel had total control of his draft, since then a lot of mistakes have been made, most by Ziggy & Shaw
train

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
iBruce said:
I'm a big fan of Austin at 16 and a safety at 22.

That's kinda where I'm at too. Or the other way around depending in who is available