Kiper: Is Jameis Winston Worth A High Pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
No, it doesn't. Those are two different things. Maturity and work ethic/competitive drive are two very different things. Brett Favre was and is an immature guy. Nobody would ever question his work ethic or competitive fire.

I have no questions about Winston's work ethic, competitiveness, or commitment to playing QB.

Those things are not one and the same. They're not comparable. I'm question Winston's decision making and maturity AWAY FROM THE FIELD.
They aren't separate though. His actions off the field directly impact his ability to even be on the field(see: Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, etc.). So no, I'm not saying that his poor decisions off the field are going to directly correlate to him making a bad read against a Tampa-2 defense.

But I do think that maturity, work ethic and commitment are linked. And I do think people questioned Favre quite a bit. At various stages of his career he was an alcoholic, pain-killer abusing, prima donna. And he had to change his ways. As does Winston.

If I'm in charge of a franchise in today's NFL I have serious concerns about Winston because if he continues to be "immature" off the field, how does that affect the investment I plan on making in him? Any one of the various allegations is no big deal on it's own but when they're all combined and more importantly, seem to be continuing, I don't think I can just ignore them or just write them off as "boys will be boys".

Regardless of how well Winston understands NFL concepts, his...character is in question. Not his maturity, his character. Questionable character plus the crapshoot of playing QB at the NFL level is what makes Winston a guy that needs to go back for one more year of college and clean up his act. Have a bounceback year personally and statistically in 2015.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, it doesn't. It makes him a guy who needs to get out of college and into the NFL.

moklerman

Warner-phile

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How did I know you'd be all over this? Just gotta feel for Jameis, the whole world conspiring to make him look bad. ;)

Of course I'm all over...people have ripped on him for a rape accusation and treated him as a guilty man that has to prove his innocence...unfortunately, he'll never be able to prove his innocence. But what today showed is that even in FSU's conduct hearing, there wasn't enough evidence to win a civil trial...much less a criminal trial.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Of course I'm all over...people have ripped on him for a rape accusation and treated him as a guilty man that has to prove his innocence...unfortunately, he'll never be able to prove his innocence. But what today showed is that even in FSU's conduct hearing, there wasn't enough evidence to win a civil trial...much less a criminal trial.
Yup, him and Kobe and OJ and all of these guys are squeaky clean and just victims.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup, him and Kobe and OJ and all of these guys are squeaky clean and just victims.

O.J. was charged and went to trial. He got off because of great lawyering. Winston has never been charged because there isn't enough evidence.

I'm not going to take an accusation as a fact simply because it was made. I don't assume he's innocent or guilty. Not for me to decide. But what I do find it hard to believe is that anyone can simply assume the guy is guilty without sufficient evidence. Seems like an ignorant assumption to me.