Kiper: Intricacies of QB Position Tough to Show at Pro Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN NFL Draft insider Mel Kiper Jr. explains that while it is difficult to show all of the instinctive qualities necessary to play quarterback in the NFL at a pro day, teams will be looking at arm strength as an indicator. Kiper is intrigued by Carson Wentz…he talks about Lynch, Cook, and Hackenberg. (2:56)

Watch Kiper Talk QB Pro Days

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'll go one step further: IF you as a team use a pro day or the combine throws to make your decision on a QB you are gonna whiff on the position most likely.

Using the Rams and Mannion as an example... He had a great pro day, and his natural talent stood out and no doubt helped his draft stock. But if the Rams took him based on that workout they are fools. The reason you take Mannion is because of his Junior season tape and the fact that you think his play his Senior year had much to do with the talent around him, i.e. poor protection and wideout play that doomed a pocket guy like him.

Basically all that focus on arm strength and making the deeper outs on a nice trajectory is not the central reason why QBs succeed or fail in the NFL. Arm strength guarantees nothing. All you need is enough of it, after that it is secondary to things like accuracy, boldness in the pocket, keeping your eyes downfield when a rush is on, making a tough throw in the face of a blitzer, tenacity, toughness, and being a competitor.

Tape of a guy competing hard against a team with a better roster even in a loss, even with an INT or two but still willing to sling it and try to bring his team back when the game is out of hand means more to me than any BS workout where everything is perfect. Just not a big fan of it man.