Kiper first mock 2016 - Paxton Lynch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
I hate Kiper but at least this is not relocation news. I haven't had a chance to watch a lot of Lynch but coming away with a QB at number 15 would be nice.

View: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2607801-mel-kiper-nfl-mock-draft-2016-notable-picks-from-espn-gurus-1st-mock

1 Tennessee Titans Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
2 Cleveland Browns Jared Goff, QB, California
3 San Diego Chargers Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss
4 Dallas Cowboys DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
5 Jacksonville Jaguars Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State
6 Baltimore Ravens Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
7 San Francisco 49ers Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
8 Miami Dolphins Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
9 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida
10 New York Giants Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
11 Chicago Bears Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama
12 New Orleans Saints A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama
13 Philadelphia Eagles Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss
14 Oakland Raiders Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State
15 Los Angeles Rams Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
16 Detroit Lions Jarran Reed, DL, Alabama
17 Atlanta Falcons Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson
18 Indianapolis Colts Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
19 Buffalo Bills Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
20 New York Jets Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame
21 Washington Redskins Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
22 Houston Texans Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
23 Minnesota Vikings Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
24 Cincinnati Bengals Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
25 Pittsburgh Steelers Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
26 Seattle Seahawks Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
27 Green Bay Packers Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State
28 Kansas City Chiefs Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
29 Denver Broncos Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
30 Arizona Cardinals Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
31 Carolina Panthers Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So the QB needy 9ers are going to take a WR with the 7th pick & pass on a QB? The QB needy Eagles will pass on a QB to take a DL'er? Looks like Kiper thinks less of these QB's & really likes these OL & DL'ers a lot.

That would be good for the LA Rams though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Still weird to see Los Angeles Rams and not have it be a typo. It's like looking at some historical draft.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the QB needy 9ers are going to take a WR with the 7th pick & pass on a QB? The QB needy Eagles will pass on a QB to take a DL'er? Looks like Kiper thinks less of these QB's & really likes these OL & DL'ers a lot.

With the Chip Kelly hiring that isn't far fetched cause he'll probably keep Kap. For the Eagles he might just assume or be guessing they resign Bradford.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as we get one of the first round QBs not named Hackenberg.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As long as we get one of the first round QBs not named Hackenberg.

He is projected by most as a late second right now. It will be interesting to see if he can audition his way to round 1. I still think Obrien is going to take him in round two or three.

With the Chip Kelly hiring that isn't far fetched cause he'll probably keep Kap. For the Eagles he might just assume or be guessing they resign Bradford.

I don't but the thinking t hat Kelly will stick with Kaepernick when Wentz will be sitting there to take. Went would be a good fit for his system...and he can read the entire field.

I think if the Rams stay put they end up with Cook.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Lynch at 15 is madness. But man... Sure would be nice to see a QB with his talent on our roster. I might have a damn heart attack just by seeing him still on the board by the time it gets to the early teens...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I agree with Kiper that Connor Cook isn't a 1st round pick....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I hate Kiper ....
Curious, why? He started this mocking industry....I still remember thinking, who the fuck is he??? And why does his opinion matter? But now, we get all these mocks & stuff....

That 1st round looks loaded with talent.....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Well, Kaep is probably a pretty good fit in a Kelly scheme, and just moments ago the new Philly coach was singing the praises for Bradford. I wonder if Jerry Jones is looking towards a post Romo era, one without Johnny Football ?
Be shocked if Lynch falls to 15, but have to pull the trigger if he does. jmo.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I just don't see every team but the Browns passing on QBs in this draft before the Rams, and no team trading up if that were to happen.

Maybe one of the Cowboys and the 49ers don't take a QB, but that is doubtful. Dallas was interested in a QB two years ago, and have more reason to want one now. Any QB they sign as a free agent will have huge doubts, and Jones knows that QB is the marquee position for promoting his team. Kelly may like Kaepernick, but he has shown a willingness to have depth at QB (for instance, the big contract for a backup that he gave Sanchez; followed by a risky trade for Bradford). I'd expect him to keep Kaepernick, AND draft a prospect behind him. Keep in mind that Kaepernick's contract makes him easy to cut going forward, if the draft pick looks good after a year or two. Fortunately the Rams do have the Eagle's 2nd - which would allow the Rams to trade up to #7 or #8 according to the pick value chart. And if they toss in a pick next year, maybe get up to #6. Or their own 2nd this year could get them to #4 if Dallas signs somebody and doesn't want a QB, nor any other player who fell to them.

Frankly, I see Cleveland having their choice of QBs unless a team picking much higher than the Rams gives up a lot to jump them. I don't see the Rams giving up the multiple firsts and several seconds it would likely take. I can see them trading at least the Eagle's 2nd to move up, though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Kaep is probably a pretty good fit in a Kelly scheme
I've seen that thrown around a lot, and heck I may have even said it myself.
But why is Kaep a fit? Looking at the Kelly offense, (NFL version) it doesnt rely on a QB's ability to run. Foles ran it best and he is as slow as molasess
I think the idea that the ball comes out quick, like it did with Sam this year, tends to make me think Kaep doesnt fit

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'm a complete novice but I've been watching draft breakdown videos of the top QBs and I just can't see why Lynch is so highly thought of.

In the videos I've seen he completes a lot of passes short but has accuracy issues on anything intermediate or further.

Wentz and especially Goff are better (Goff looks miles ahead of everyone else) but I think I also prefer Cook to Lynch.

People who know more about this than I do rate Lynch though so I must be missing something.

FrankenRam

Starter
Curious, why? He started this mocking industry....I still remember thinking, who the freak is he??? And why does his opinion matter? But now, we get all these mocks & stuff....

That 1st round looks loaded with talent.....

Perhaps it depends on the area of the country one is from, but I was hearing Joel Bushbaum just rattle off stats & measurable on draft suspects long before I heard of Kiper.

ProFootballWeekly essentially died when he did.

FrankenRam

Starter

I don't typically watch a lot of college ball, but somehow I managed to see pieces of at least 3 of Mich States' games this year, and to me, Cook just looks slow at everything he does. I don't consider myself a talent evaluator at all, so I'm probably missing something. But I just don't get all the hub-bub about him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Kiper typically moves the QBs up as the draft nears. If you listen to the draft conversation I linked you can hear in their discussion about how the top three might go much earlier than assumed; Schefter in particular mentions how much hubbub he has heard about the QBs particularly Wentz and assures Kiper 3 QBs will go in the top 10.

So back to Cook I have cooled considerably on him since he elected to not attend the Senior Bowl. But IF the top 3 QBs go quick and early as Schefty is saying, well, there's gonna be a real chance for Cook to go in round 1.

I keep mentioning the workouts and I'll mention it again, that as these guys start to kill their little scripted endeavors teams start moving them up. There are some who don't have good workouts but they are few and far between like Bridgewater. I'm guessing Cook will display a strong arm and do well so with him it really comes down to how much stock you put in the rumors about his personality.

A good example of what I'm talking about is our Rams. They're going to see a big QB with a strong arm in Cook, who played on a team similar to that envisioned by Fisher where he's not slinging it all over the joint. They're going to see a guy who played multiple years in an actual pro style offense which is very attractive to many teams not just them since he might be able to start sooner than the others. The dude has some questions around him, but again if those top three go quick all bets are off and I cannot even say the Rams will pass on him at 15.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kiper typically moves the QBs up as the draft nears
I'd be surprised if that's the case here. Cook isnt playing in the Senior bowl, he may slide in to the 1st if the other 3 end up in top 10 per se. Ive seen guys drop as much as rise

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be surprised if that's the case here. Cook isnt playing in the Senior bowl, he may slide in to the 1st if the other 3 end up in top 10 per se. Ive seen guys drop as much as rise

True. But the other three in particular... IF they go in the first ten picks all of a sudden Cook starts looking a lot more attractive to a team that needs a QB. He is definitely a wildcard from that perspective.