Kiper: Clowney To Blame If Not In HOF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Mel Kiper Jr. evaluates Gamecocks DE Jadeveon Clowney’s performance last season and says Clowney is to blame if he doesn’t make the Hall of Fame. (1:59)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I have to admit, I'm getting pulled into the excitement around Clowney right now.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Wow Mel Kiper just disrespected every LT in the league.

And HoF? Really? Dude hasn't even been drafted yet.

These types of expectations greatly overhype a rookie, and when reality strikes and the season ends, he ends up being a "disappointment".

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Wow Mel Kiper just disrespected every LT in the league.

And HoF? Really? Dude hasn't even been drafted yet.

These types of expectations greatly overhype a rookie, and when reality strikes and the season ends, he ends up being a "disappointment".
Just what I was going to say.

This guy has bust written all over him, not because he won't be good, but because he'll never be able to live up to the hype that everyone is heaping on him before he's even played an NFL down.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just what I was going to say.

This guy has bust written all over him, not because he won't be good, but because he'll never be able to live up to the hype that everyone is heaping on him before he's even played an NFL down.

Yeah, it's a bit much.

And... Andrew Luck has a career 81.5 rating in one of the easiest divisions in football. He'd be easily in the 70's if playing the NFC west defenses.

He might (and probably will) have a great career, but those aren't once every 30yr player numbers.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
OK, predraft hype is starting to get a bit ridiculous. Are we actually projecting hall of fame players after two seasons in the NCAA?

There are a lot of reasons why people with great talent can not become hall of fame players besides injuries or drive. What if you play on a crappy team. Think about someone like Steven Jackson. If the Rams were good and they won a championship when he was here, he would be discussed as a potential hall of famer. Steven Jackson is not the only one. What about Archie Manning? What if he plays with no one else on a D-line that is any good? What if every team can double and triple block him because they don't have to worry about anyone else?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have to admit, I'm getting pulled into the excitement around Clowney right now.

I guess what I like about what I see in his play is his ability to play the run so well. Jadeveon is not just an outside rusher. Quinn for about 2 full seasons was not effective against the run....Jadeveon is already there. I would not say that Jadeveon is anything close to what Quinn is @ getting to the passer but Jadeveon has something I have not seen in a long time that super speed to run down ball carriers from behind inside. If the NFL can do what the NFL did for Quinn then Jadeveon could be the full complete package not see often in the NFL.

Fisher has four very good DE's in Sims-Hayes-Quinn & Long with Sims & Hayes able to play inside often well too. Fisher just added another interior DL'er in Alex Carrington too. But if the Rams could manage to get a lead & having Jadeveon Quinn Long Hayes Carrington & Sims going all out in a constant rotation wow.....disaster would be in the future for teams who play us from behind.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
With all of this ridiculous hype surrounding Clowney how can he succeed?

If he doesn't come in and play at an elite level right from the start a lot of people will call him a disappointment. Everybody in the media and fans with totally overblown expectations are setting him up to fail. Just my opinion.

If he doesn't come in and play at an elite level right from the start a lot of people will call him a disappointment. Everybody in the media and fans with totally overblown expectations are setting him up to fail. Just my opinion.

The thing is with our complete lack of need at DE he's got to be that for us, or otherwise he is a waste of a pick.

Fair or not.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The thing is with our complete lack of need at DE he's got to be that for us, or otherwise he is a waste of a pick.

Fair or not.

I don't know if I'd go that far.

A very good Clowney certainly makes this defense better. The more studs on our defense, the harder to match up against.

I don't know if I'd go that far.

A very good Clowney certainly makes this defense better. The more studs on our defense, the harder to match up against.

If you draft Clowney at some point (most likely 2015) you need to cut/trade Long. So his absolute worst needs to be as good as Long.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

Fair or not.

I totally agree with you. I don't think the Rams need Clowney at all.
I'm in the camp that hope they pass on him or trade out if he's available at 2.

I have no reason to think that Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson can't have HOF careers as well.
Granted, they're probably not as good as Clowney at quickly picking up tennis balls.

moklerman

Warner-phile

Funny, I'd have thought you were talking about Bradford if we were on other boards.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Funny, I'd have thought you were talking about Bradford if we were on other boards.

Um, ok.

So is your point that Bradford is incredibly overhyped by the fans (because the media sure isn't doing it) and that he can't possibly live up to expectations?

I totally agree with you. I don't think the Rams need Clowney at all.
I'm in the camp that hope they pass on him or trade out if he's available at 2.

I have no reason to think that Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson can't have HOF careers as well.
Granted, they're probably not as good as Clowney at quickly picking up tennis balls.

I prefer Matthews for his play on the field regardless of need, so when you factor in need it would be an easy choice for me. But I'm not making decisions for a reason :).

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I prefer Matthews for his play on the field regardless of need, so when you factor in need it would be an easy choice for me. But I'm not making decisions for a reason :).

Matthews is my choice as well.

He's going to step in for some team (hopefully the Rams) and be able to play at a high level with a very real possibility of becoming elite from day one. Barring injuries of course.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
SO who is being voted on in his HOF class won't matter?
I mean Teddy Bridgewater might be there ,and Sammy Watkins, that's two slots he won't get

moklerman

Warner-phile
Um, ok.

So is your point that Bradford is incredibly overhyped by the fans (because the media sure isn't doing it) and that he can't possibly live up to expectations?
"If he doesn't come in and play at an elite level right from the start a lot of people will call him a disappointment. Everybody in the media and fans with totally overblown expectations are setting him up to fail. Just my opinion."

Sounds a lot like many of the posts about Bradford to me.