King on Goff and McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A great combination and IMO what is underrated about Goff is his ability to process the play calling of McVay, who gives him two plays in his ear and Goff determines the right play based on the defense.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
A great combination and IMO what is underrated about Goff is his ability to process the play calling of McVay, who gives him two plays in his ear and Goff determines the right play based on the defense.

I've mentioned it in other threads, they have a symbiotic connection - McVay reels off plays at a million miles an hour to Goff, and he processes and filters them to what he see's on the field, and calls the play. I've even heard him in interviews call McVay speaking to him in his ear like background noise.

It's one heck of a system ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice vid there by Peter King. Surprised that Belichick allowed it though, tbh.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler

Fake news. All the talking heads claim that McVay tells Goff exactly where to throw. He is after all, just a System QB.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Okay, I just wanna say a little thing.

I almost hope people ignore it because it's LITTLE.

McVay has done WONDERS with Goff's mechanics and really straightened out his delivery in such a fashion that he doesn't throw nearly as many ducks as he once did (and throwing ducks isn't a disqualifier or Warner wouldn't have made it to the NFL at all).

What I have noticed is that on roll outs where Goff has to throw on the move, the placement is golden, but his ball is still wobbly.

If you notice on that ultra-precise strike to Kupp in the corner of the endzone against the Vikes, he throws a bit of a wobbler.

Why is this important if he's putting the ball in the exact spot it needs to be?

Post-season.

Now, if (more likely when) we secure home field throughout the playoffs, this year it would be the Coliseum and then Atlanta for the Super Bowl. That favors us in that regard.

If, however, we end up outside on the road, passes that aren't spirals are more prone to have exaggerated effects from the elements, particularly wind.

Could be that his hands, while more than capable of throwing brilliant passes make it harder (not saying impossible) to throw a spiral on the move. Could be there's more work to do on his mechanics.

The good news is that the only tough road game is in NO, a dome and the only playoff game we should see away from home is also in a dome.

Long term, creating a more stable platform and working on his delivery can only improve Goff's already considerable and impressive arsenal

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Okay, I just wanna say a little thing.

I almost hope people ignore it because it's LITTLE.

McVay has done WONDERS with Goff's mechanics and really straightened out his delivery in such a fashion that he doesn't throw nearly as many ducks as he once did (and throwing ducks isn't a disqualifier or Warner wouldn't have made it to the NFL at all).

What I have noticed is that on roll outs where Goff has to throw on the move, the placement is golden, but his ball is still wobbly.

If you notice on that ultra-precise strike to Kupp in the corner of the endzone against the Vikes, he throws a bit of a wobbler.

Why is this important if he's putting the ball in the exact spot it needs to be?

Post-season.

Now, if (more likely when) we secure home field throughout the playoffs, this year it would be the Coliseum and then Atlanta for the Super Bowl. That favors us in that regard.

If, however, we end up outside on the road, passes that aren't spirals are more prone to have exaggerated effects from the elements, particularly wind.

Could be that his hands, while more than capable of throwing brilliant passes make it harder (not saying impossible) to throw a spiral on the move. Could be there's more work to do on his mechanics.

The good news is that the only tough road game is in NO, a dome and the only playoff game we should see away from home is also in a dome.

Long term, creating a more stable platform and working on his delivery can only improve Goff's already considerable and impressive arsenal

I think you got all the nits

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That video was as much an advertisement for NFL game pass, than it was a serious look into Goff’s performance. I have game pass and I refuse to watch any game besides those played in 2017 & 2018. I don’t see the point in reliving the years of misery.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has done WONDERS with Goff's mechanics and really straightened out his delivery

Interesting how you and King both fail to acknowledge the coach that worked with him and fixed these things. We all know Goff has spent time the last two off seasons working with Tom House on these issues to fix them.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Interesting how you and King both fail to acknowledge the coach that worked with him and fixed these things. We all know Goff has spent time the last two off seasons working with Tom House on these issues to fix them.

Actually, I do believe I posted something about Goff going to House after his freshman campaign and admired his desire to be great.

I put a lot into posts, but sheesh, if I had to include everything in every post, they might start getting long!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Actually, I do believe I posted something about Goff going to House after his freshman campaign and admired his desire to be great.

I put a lot into posts, but sheesh, if I had to include everything in every post, they might start getting long!
I'd be totally shocked seeing you write a long post!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If there's one thing you and I do well, Mack, it's brevity. :LOL:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Ho

Hey guys, how about acknowledging Goff himself??