King: Is this a middle class draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130408/2013-nfl-draft-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2QRtrRicG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... z2QRtrRicG</a>

There's not a lot of love for the top of this draft.

As the smoke begins to clear for the 2013 draft, this is obvious: No one loves the top of it. No one. When you talk to league people, you hear over and over about how this is a middle-class draft, with an egalitarian class from the teens until the middle of the second round, and no real can't-miss stars at the top.

A history lesson, then, this morning. This draft is mindful of the 2008 draft, which, in retrospect, had a significantly better second 10 than top 10. That's in part due to injuries suffered by the first and fourth players in the '08 draft -- Jake Long and Darren McFadden -- but it's as much about the fact that the players picked 11 through 20 have just been better, injuries and all. Looking at the top 20 from 2008:

1. Miami: Jake Long, T
2. St. Louis: Chris Long, DE
3. Atlanta: Matt Ryan, QB
4. Oakland: Darren McFadden, RB
5. Kansas City: Glenn Dorsey, DT
6. NY Jets: Vernon Gholston, DE
7. New Orleans: Sedrick Ellis, DT
8. Jacksonville: Derrick Harvey, DE
9. Cincinnati: Keith Rivers, LB
10. New England: Jerod Mayo, LB
11. Buffalo: Leodis McKelvin, CB/Ret
12. Denver: Ryan Clady, T
13. Carolina: Jonathan Stewart, RB
14. Chicago: Chris Williams, T
15. Kansas City: Branden Albert, T
16. Arizona: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB
17. Detroit: Gosder Cherilus, T
18. Baltimore: Joe Flacco, QB
19. Carolina: Jeff Otah, T
20. Tampa Bay: Aqib Talib, CB

Let's judge the top 10 versus the second 10:

Premier players: In the top 10, there are two, Ryan and Mayo. In the second 10, I'd say there are three: Clady, Albert (a slight stretch, though a top-12 left tackle in this game today has to be considered premier) and Flacco. Jake Long would have been, had injuries not derailed his career. He still may be one, but he'll have to be sturdier in his new address, St. Louis.

Better than average players: Five in the top 10 -- Jake Long, Chris Long, Ryan, McFadden (marginally, because of his injuries) and Mayo. And I would say eight in the second 10 -- McKelvin, Clady, Stewart (4.7 yards per carry in a job-sharing career with DeAngelo Williams), Albert, Rodgers-Cromartie, Cherilus, Flacco and Talib.

Busts: Gholston, Harvey and Rivers in the top 10, only Williams and Otah in the second 10.

By any stretch, the second 10 has to be considered a stronger collective group than the top 10 from the 2008 draft.

Think of this draft. Who would be all that surprised if Jarvis Jones, Tavon Austin, Alec Ogletree, Xavier Rhodes, Desmond Trufant and Bjoern Werner go in the second 10 ... and outplay their peers in the top 10?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
lol Jerod Mayo is a "premier" player but Chris Long isn't? And he's better than average?

That's kinda insulting.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Premier players: In the top 10, there are two, Ryan and Mayo. In the second 10, I'd say there are three: Clady, Albert (a slight stretch, though a top-12 left tackle in this game today has to be considered premier) and Flacco. Jake Long would have been, had injuries not derailed his career. He still may be one, but he'll have to be sturdier in his new address, St. Louis.

Better than average players: Five in the top 10 -- Jake Long, Chris Long, Ryan, McFadden (marginally, because of his injuries) and Mayo. And I would say eight in the second 10 -- McKelvin, Clady, Stewart (4.7 yards per carry in a job-sharing career with DeAngelo Williams), Albert, Rodgers-Cromartie, Cherilus, Flacco and Talib.

He has Mayo in both categories. Anyway, I'd rather have Long than Mayo. And I don't really see 11-20 as being better than 1-10. I think they are about the same. Just because Jake Long got hurt doesn't mean he was worse than a 11-20 pick. He could stay healthy and be great this year. King was really stretching on this. He should have used 2009 instead of 2008. Historically, King is just awful when it comes to draft analysis. He should stick to the feel good stories and sucking up to Bret Favre.

jap

Legend
Angry Ram said:
lol Jerod Mayo is a "premier" player but Chris Long isn't? And he's better than average?

That's kinda insulting.

The Rams have to play winning football before their stars get any real respect from the media. I bet if you ask the NFL defensive coordinators where Chris Long ranks you will get a different answer.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Chris Long
42 sacks in 4 seasons...only 9 sacks his first two seasons. Hasn't missed a game. Is a leader.

= Stud.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I wouldn't call it middle class by any stretch. It lacks blockbuster potential like AJ Green, Julio Jones. But really outside of Luck and Griffin, last year's draft didn't offer a whole lot in the first round either. I do believe this draft offers a lot more upside for teams looking to build or restock the cupboard as there is a lot of depth on both lines and though there isn't a super flashy game-breaker WR, there is a lot of depth there too.